3Likes
  • 2 Post By livingf1t
  • 4 Post By livingf1t

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA 75p dry start journal

Hello all, I'm currently on the start of week 7 of my 75p drystart. I added some LED back lighting today. I'm posting the previous weeks photos and will continue to update weekly. As you will be able to tell I have changed the hardscape a couple of times, I'm currently waiting for some manzanita wood that I ordered to come in and see how it will look. Hope you enjoy the journey.

Day 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week6

Start of week 7

LED back lighting

Day one until today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finally decided to flood it.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 02:12 AM
Algae Grower

Looks pretty good. I like the general idea of your hardscape though I don't know how I feel about it being in the corner like that.

I just got some HC today that I'm going to do a dry start with. Can you explain your process? Like how moist did you keep it, how long were the lights on, how often did you vent, etc. I have a general idea what I'm gonna do but since you were so successful I want to compare.

Also any idea how to store the HC if I can't plant it right away? In the fridge? Or is it fine out at room temperature? It's at my house right now but I am going to see a band after work so I won't be able to actually set everything up until tomorrow.

Also did you use potted or a culture?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 02:22 AM
Algae Grower

Nice tank and great proportions (30 x 18 x 18). You can do a lot with this beast. Congratulations on flooding it today...the HC looks great. I'm about 2 to 3 weeks behind you. Will post pics of my 30C dry start soon.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 04:28 AM
Algae Grower

Looks great! How many hours did you leave the light on during the DSM? Also which light did you get for the backlight?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by auditinprogress View Post
Looks pretty good. I like the general idea of your hardscape though I don't know how I feel about it being in the corner like that.

I just got some HC today that I'm going to do a dry start with. Can you explain your process? Like how moist did you keep it, how long were the lights on, how often did you vent, etc. I have a general idea what I'm gonna do but since you were so successful I want to compare.

Also any idea how to store the HC if I can't plant it right away? In the fridge? Or is it fine out at room temperature? It's at my house right now but I am going to see a band after work so I won't be able to actually set everything up until tomorrow.

Also did you use potted or a culture?

At first I kept it closed all the time and quickly started to get some mold, so I started venting it every two days until all the moister on the glass was gone and then I would moisten the whole tank and seal it, I had my lights running for 12 hours a day, I purchased the Gc from my lfs. So I'm not sure about storing it. Ironically when I started it on November 11th I had ordered 4 tissue cultures from 1-2 grow and I just received and email this morning that it's shipping! Haha only 2 months late!! So now I'll have 4 cultures coming in that I will not need.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenster View Post
Nice tank and great proportions (30 x 18 x 18). You can do a lot with this beast. Congratulations on flooding it today...the HC looks great. I'm about 2 to 3 weeks behind you. Will post pics of my 30C dry start soon.

Thank you, it was a really fun process, now that I flooded it I wish I had another tank to start it over again haha

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleumoon View Post
Looks great! How many hours did you leave the light on during the DSM? Also which light did you get for the backlight?

Thank you, I left the lights on for 12 hours a day, I'm a sign manufacturer and installer, so I had a role of leds left over from a job so I used them for the back light

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 02:18 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingf1t View Post
Thank you, it was a really fun process, now that I flooded it I wish I had another tank to start it over again haha

Yeah I hear you. Sometimes the journey is more fun than the destination.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update. I'm far from done and they didn't have enough weeping moss for me to finish my "tree" but it's well on it way.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I really like this! It's a fun layout!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Retired
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I really like this! It's a fun layout!

Thank you

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode