S Repens Emersed Journal - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
S Repens Emersed Journal

So this is a journal I thought I'd make of the emersed growth of S repens (and some other carpeting plant, forgot the name).
Hope you enjoy
I will update this weekly. Also here's the steps I took to do this.

So I got a regular, rectangular plastic container

Then in the container, put some regular backyard topsoil dirt (Sifted by hand) and put it into the container

After that, filled it with water (room temp) and sprinkled some Black Cow in it, should help a bit...

Got some spare plastic, placed it on top of it nice and tight and taped it down to the side of the plastic cup

And here's a picture of the finished product, facing inside the cup. You can kind of see the tape but you get the point lol

Week 1

Last edited by BettaBettas; 12-22-2016 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Added week 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Week 2

alright so not much has happened, the s repens does show some tiny new growth, and the other plants have grown a lot to. clover has sent up shoots into the air, cant wait until it blooms

clownplanted and clownplanted like this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Week 3 1/2
Growing like a weed. S repens is finally getting two new leaves...

D3monic, D3monic, Kyrayne and 3 others like this.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Sorry I couldn't update on week 4, school schedual has been fluxuating from here to there constantly!

Week 5
Trimmed the ludwigia rubin, trimmed clover, trimmed japan, and got a new box for all the plants. sorry I couldn't take any pics!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 02:56 PM
Planted Member

S Repens Emersed Journal

Cool project. I'm currently infatuated with s. repens. I am surprised it has not been growing faster in these circumstances. I know it's not the fastest growing plant but I've been having tremendous success with it submerged in a non co2 tank!...though growth rate has severely dropped since I took some fish out, the tank was overstocked so it probably had plenty of co2. Any thoughts or do you think it's growing as fast as it should?
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Last edited by maxhrbal; 01-30-2017 at 04:28 AM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhrbal View Post
Cool project. I'm currently infatuated with s. repens. I am surprised it has not been growing faster in these circumstances. I know it's not the fastest growing plant but I've been having tremendous success with it submerged in a non co2 tank!...though growth rate has severely dropped since I took some fish out, the tank was overstocked so it probably had plenty of co2. Any thoughts or do you think it's growing as fast as it should?

Update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Update?

I was just thinking to do an update! great minds think alike huh? Sorry I haven't been giving the weekly updates, busyness of greenhouse building and house building takes my time quick...

So I re-did the growing box again, just filled it with (in this order) Sand, Black Cow, Good ol' Dirt.

All the plants but the S repens have been needing just about weekly trimming... S repens hasn't done anything! in my tank and emersed, I think I got a bad batch.... I have had them for about 3-4 months now and nothing... sorry pic is sideways
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Here's a current picture, everything (except s repens. of course) is thriving and growing, and I think its only been about a week or 2 since I added these plants into the bucket!
Quote:
Well my s. repens grows incredibly slow with or without Co2, also sorry I didn't answer this sooner, I didn't see it! But if what your saying is accurate, your s repens is prob. growing faster than mine lol!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Might be moving this out to the greenhouse soon!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:47 PM
Planted Member

Looks cool, keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:19 PM
Planted Member

Unfortunate the s repens isn't doing the best! I definitely would have thought that you would have a semi decent carpet by now, more than a month later. Everything looks great though!

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Well as I said before, so much for weekly updates lol

Heres the Box now, I cut that hydrocotle literally in half! put it in a separate container! Thing grows like a weed I swear, its going into the greenhouse soon. Also the greenhouse just got done being built (courtesy of me myself ) mid last month! It was supposed to be under a "budget" but 30$ a sheet for that plastic. Well so much for the budget! Plus the gravel, raspberry bushes, mulch, etc. Sorry I didn't share it sooner, you know how it goes...

NickAu and NickAu like this.

Last edited by BettaBettas; 02-24-2017 at 03:49 AM. Reason: I have no reason
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:37 PM
Planted Member

Nice - what is the growing season like?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmeister View Post
Nice - what is the growing season like?
With my actual garden if that's what mean, I have Swiss chard starting in the greenhouse, along with some Gem corn (to early but I couldn't wait, they came out pretty last year), broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 04:13 AM
Planted Member

Ah well I guess I mean both - what is your growing season (outside) like? What is your growing season (in the greenhouse) like? I've thought the greenhouse approach is neat - I've been wondering about whether it lives up to expectation.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode