Waterworld(AKA My Tank) - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Waterworld(AKA My Tank)

For those who care not for a brief but detailed synopsis of my tank, skip to the third paragraph.

My tank does not have a name. But it can be described. It has around 5-9 plants which consist of Java Moss, Java Fern, Japanese Pennyworths, and etc. I only have a few animals if you will consisting of things like some snails that were hiding in the plants that I had gotten and another animal whose name I unsure of. My Ammonia levels range well around 10 but do to an incident with putting way too much food into my tank it could have risen. It was so serious that I used up almost more than a half of the water in the tank only to put it back in later. I had used black diamond blasting sand as my substrate instead of using my other decision Safe T Sorb. I am using T-8 shop lights with a “Aqueon Quietflow 10” filter. To sum it up, the gear that I use consists of:

- T-8 Shop light
- Aqueon Filter
- Water Heater( AKA Water temp regulator if you want to get technical)

As I progress further with my tank, I would like to change a few things as well. These changes would mostly revolve around adding fish or adding more plants to my tank since it could definitely use more plants compared to some of the other tanks in my class. Another thing that I’d like to change is to add some more sand (blasting sand) to my tank since much of it has seemingly disappeared from the tank from water changes and etc. I’d want to create a U-shaped valley with it if I could however that would require much blasting sand, I would have to replant the plants, and I wouldn’t be able to make it because of the giant piece of wood poking out from the tank.

As we all know, water owns super hard. It is in what we drink, and what we do most of our stuff with. Its in our showers and our bottles. And is in snow and ice which causes snow days and most importantly, No School! But what if this legendary substance was confined to a glass? It would totally stink right? Wrong. This is pretty cool since you manage your own environment just by:

Step 1: Get a tank
Step 2: Get a Substrate
Step 3: Get a filter
Step 5: Get a heater

After that all you need to do is get plants and animals to jazz up your tank and you'll be on your way. Oh yeah, and make sure to check things like ammonia levels while having your tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

They're Kuhli loaches. You can JUST see one on the far left.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Christmas Break: Once in a tank opportunity

It was the final day of school and I had just gotten out of school after checking my tank's filtration, feeding my fish, and etc. But after one or two days, I felt like something was wrong. I started wondering:

- "What if I didn't check my tank correctly?"
- "What if I fed the fish too much, or too little?"
- "What if something goes wrong and I don't even know what happened"

For the first day that we got back to school, I had a fever about 101.4 degrees. And I didn't notice until I barfed on the table at lunch. And because the class was at the end of the day, I just ended up sitting at the nurses office for the rest of the day. Then after school I had a period that I couldn't stop throwing up. But I finally got picked up and couldn't stop coughing but we stopped to get some food and I was okay, however, my forehead was hot. In fact is was so hot, I almost stayed home that day.

Luckily by the time I got to school the next day (AKA today) everything seemed fine. That was until my Kuhli loaches were unable to be found. But the I remembered that they (the loaches) usually just end up hiding behind the piece of wood in my tank anyways. After feeling accomplished for a few minutes, I went back to my normal duties feeding the fish.
Fishris and Fishris like this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sorry to hear you were sick! I'm glad your Kuhli Loaches are okay.
Sometimes Kuhli Loaches are shy and hide during the day. Be careful your ammonia levels don't get too high, or you'll grow plenty of algae! Good luck!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The End.

As I arrived to the room I saw rows of glass boxes live with plants and fish of all sorts.Then I glanced at mine. It was unbearable. I couldn't tell what it was that had me upset but I knew it was there. I glanced back to the others with their green o'plenty. Sure, I had a lot of plants. But it just didn't seem the same. I didn't know why but I just couldn't stand it. Then I realized what it was. I immediately headed towards the crowd of students that huddled around the person with many names.But I couldn't tell you. But on the thread he is known as Method. By the time I got around the crowd and saw what they were hiding, I saw an array of plants from Brazilian pennyworths to Java Fern. I had my eyes set on the Brazilian pennyworths but by the time he got to me, they were all gone. I panicked. I looked for the most oblivious, most green and area consuming plat there. The Java Fern. Afterwards everything seemed right. But it seems like there is still something missing. I just have to find it.

This is the end of this chapter but soon there will be another. For now this is goodbye.
darkohanzo and darkohanzo like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I may be able to find a little more pennywort GW116! At the very least, you'll find that the stuff grows very fast. Pretty soon one of your classmates will be giving some away.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

WInter is Coming

Winter is coming

Call me an honest version of Game of Thrones because winter is already here. ANd s is my cough. I can't stop coughing. Anyways, I'm back to record another segment of "Waterworld".

PII: It was cold in school but the hair on my arms kept me warm. Around 1:13, I arrived into the classroom. Of course my fish were waiting for me. But as soon as I was about to reach into my tank, I coughed. I had been to the nurse's office but I was never this bad. Of course I kept going but the pain in my throat was still there. I was still coughing when I decided to start writing because it required only a chromebook and that is what was conveniently scattered across the classroom.

Sorry for the short segment. I feel terrible so I think I should just chill
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Get some rest the great thing about aquariums is they get along quite well without us for a few days...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Metri-Cide

I remember it because it was yesterday. Because it was Tuesday everyone was required to do a 20% water change. Worst part was I was at the end of the classroom so I had to go last. Because I had lots of time on my hands, I decided to Clean out my filter. Good thing too because when I opened it up, it was pretty disgusting. A crust of a hardened unknown substance laced the outside of my filter. No matter how many times I tried wiping it off, after it dries it just showed up again. But I just figured that I'd take care of it later. I took apart the filter and paused for a few minutes since a part of a filter looked like the tower in Indian Jones and the crystal skull or something. Anyways after doing that I finished washing, wiping, and clawing at all the dirt and grime that I could get. Then after 30 minutes, the bucket finally got to me and I got my water "Changed". But my water was down almost to my heater and worst of all, when I needed the tube for water, the same kids took forever to "top off" each tank by filling them to the top. And even after class I didn't get any water. But my teacher helped me and filled it up for me. Before I left, my teacher came over to me. He said I have a choice. I can either change my lights and continue how I was doing then, or put MetriCIde into my tank and have plats grow like crazy. And as you can tell, I chose the MetriCide from the title
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The first one to go

It was late. Around 1:20 when I noticed one of my fish just floating there. But it was floating sideways. Then I realized something. It was dead. But apparently it wasn't the only one. Among my white rocks I barely spotted a dead fish. Forget the name of it. But I just didn't understand why I hadn't seen it before. My teacher had given me a Styrofoam cup filled with coconut fiber. I placed my dead fish in there. And after giving them to my teacher, I never saw them again.

RIP Grant the fish.

2017?-2017

He was gone too soon. He grew up in Water City. As he grew up he gained fame as a fish. An Orange fish. His best qualities were his swimming and his Orange, vibrant coloring. But one day he was taken from us. Nobody truly knows what happened. Could have been an overdose on Metri-cide. Or it could've been his time. But regardless, his memory shall live on in the form of the plant in which he was laid to rest upon.

RIP Gary the fish

He enjoyed swimming more than anything. I'm hungry. Maybe Gary could've made some pretty decent sushi.

Last edited by GW116; 02-22-2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: In memory of those who we have lost in who were lost in the Metricide Floods of '17
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The first to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW116 View Post
It was late. Around 1:20 when I noticed one of my fish just floating there. But it was floating sideways. Then I realized something. It was dead. But apparently it wasn't the only one. Among my white rocks I barely spotted a dead fish. Forget the name of it. But I just didn't understand why I hadn't seen it before. My teacher had given me a Styrofoam cup filled with coconut fiber. I placed my dead fish in there. And after giving them to my teacher, I never saw them again.

RIP Grant the fish.

2017?-2017

He was gone too soon. He grew up in Water City. As he grew up he gained fame as a fish. An Orange fish. His best qualities were his swimming and his Orange, vibrant coloring. But one day he was taken from us. Nobody truly knows what happened. Could have been an overdose on Metri-cide. Or it could've been his time. But regardless, his memory shall live on in the form of the plant in which he was laid to rest upon.

RIP Gary the fish

He enjoyed swimming more than anything. I'm hungry. Maybe Gary could've made some pretty decent sushi.

"You can't buy Happiness but you can buy sushi which is kinda the same thing"
- ANONYMOUS

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW116 View Post

RIP Grant the fish.

2017?-2017

RIP Gary the fish

"You can't buy Happiness but you can buy sushi which is kinda the same thing"
- ANONYMOUS
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Change.

It figured it was times for change. I originally planned for my tank to resemble something like the grand canyon. Most of the tank would be underwater, but I want part of it to be above water. I don't know I just really wanted to looked like that. But the closest I got to that was me burying part of my tank Black diamond sand to resemble a hill. But I reaaly wanted to make my vision come true. I think it is possible. Maybe if I lowered the water level, I could even make the filter resemble something like a waterfall. But it at point is simply just a vision. But not everything has to work out. I honestly was supposed to resemble more of a warped U-like shape. Like the one below

---------- \@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@_/>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.>>>
>>>>>> \ @ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@___/>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>\@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ __________/>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>___ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ />>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>\@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ />>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
-------------------------------------/
PS. I had actually created the shape, but because the spaces would be erased, I had improvised. Where the @ signs are at would be where the water would be. And the > represents substrate
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Letting the water level drop too low is hard on the filter because it has to work harder to pull the water up higher before it comes out. Maybe you could find some rocks or print a picture of the grand canyon and tape it to the back of the tank?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Only 2 weeks

The countdown i almost over. We have 2 more weeks until spring break. And because of this I decided to start cramming my tank full of basically whatever I could find. Random plants (including floaters), and rocks that I had brund from home. However, I was unable to use the main ones that I wanted because it turns out the rocks that I thought may have been granite was just concrete. And also was going to raise my gH.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

lol my SB was last week

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode