This is my first attempt at a planted tank.
The last time i have a tank was back when i was a kid keeping small freshwater fishes and never anything plants. I've always wanted a planted tank growing up but it was way too expensive of a hobby at least in my country.
Now that i'm able to afford them, here goes! It's been 2 weeks since i've started this tank.
ADA Mini M (36cmx22cmx26cm)
Chihiros Garden Mat (36cmx22cm)
Chihiros A361 (21w @ 8000k with 7 stages adjustable brightness. Current lighting level at stage 3 with 7 hours photoperiod.)
Sunsun H602B canister filter
Seachem Purigen (To be added once tank has stabilized)
Chihiros single gauge solenoid regulator with 4L co2 tank
VIV glass bubble counter (1.7bps)
VIV music diffuser 15mm
Random drop checker
ADA Aquasoil Amazonia normal (bottom)
ADA Aquasoil Amazonia powder (top)
API Master Test Kit
KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4, CSM+B
Planned dosing regime:
N - 2.0ppm 3x a week
P - 0.2ppm 3x a week
K - 3.0ppm 3x a week
Iron/Traces - 0.2ppm 3x a week
I haven't start dosing yet.
Rotala Rotundifolia 'Green'
Rotala Rotundifolia 'Red'
Substrate and hardscape.
After planting, leveling substrate, and filling. God it's cloudy! I had Eusteralis Stellata and Rotala Macrandra Dwarf at the background here. I just bought them randomly to fill up spaces while i decide on a background plant.
Day 3 - Decided I'd get Rotala Rotundifolia as the background plant and HM at the midground. While pulling out the plants, the dragon stone fell over on the HC while pulling out all the normal grain size amazonia soil. It looked like disaster so i drained the tank, rescaped, and recapped the soil with amazonia powder.
The next newbie mistake that i made was that the HM that i got from a local fish store was filled with green hair/thread algae. The whole plant was entangled. Lighting in my room isn't the best so i thought they were just cotton thread and planted them without bothering.
A few days later, it only came to my realization after seeing bits and pieces of them across my rocks and tank glass wall. It's not spreading out of control but i still see bits and pieces of them till today.
Day 14 - The rotalas has grown alot. HC's are doing very well too. The HM that's entangled with thread algae has melted so i removed them and added new pot of tissue cultured HM and some staurogyne repens.
The rotalas i bought were grown emersed. Picture below shows new shoots popping out of every piece of old emersed leaf.
Day 18 - Here's how the tank is looking now. I've trimmed the rotala and replanted some stems. I've also removed the old round emersed leaf off them.