Trnt's First Large Tank, Planted 112.[56k] - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Trnt's First Large Tank, Planted 112.[56k]

Copy/pasted from my local club's forum, originally posted on 11/19/16:

Exciting news guys, I will be getting a new to me 112 gallon acrylic tank . Tank Dimensions are 60"x18"x24" (LxDxH), it also comes with a 28 gallon sump and a solidly built homemade stand which is unfinished but still a great place to start. This is a reef ready tank with overflows in both back corners that I will probably be connecting with an overflow across the back to have one large overflow that would be plumbed using the bean animal method.

As far as equipment goes this is what I'm planning on using: an ecotech vectra m1 as a return pump with a split to drive a cerges reactor. Lighting will probably be provided from my Aquatic Life Freshwater Halo with an additional slave unit. As far as the sump setup goes, I was strongly considering going with a wet/dry set up.

I went and looked at the tank today, but my buddy wasn't free to help me move the tank, so if all goes to plan I will be picking it up tomorrow.

I just updated my phone and lost the pictures I had of the tank , but those will come soon. No idea really on how I am going to scape the tank, so will update you guys on that when something comes to mind.

12/3/16:

Finally was able to pick up the tank today, moving it in wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. This is probably the biggest tank that I would have been able to get up to our third floor apartment, unless I wanted to hire riggers to hoist the tank up. It could use a thorough cleaning, and I am going to get some novus to buff out some slight blemishes, but other than that the tank is in great shape.

This isn't where the tank will be set up, this is just for ease of access to the tank so I can plumb it. Came with two large grocery bags full of bio balls which I will probably be re-using once I set up the baffles for a wet/dry; owner I had bought it from took them out because he wasn't going to use a wet dry if he put a reef in the tank like he was originally planning. There's two holes in the display portion of the tank, the hole in the bottom right is probably going to be a dedicated drain, while the upper hole will have some loc-line on it for a return. Right now I am planning on connecting the two weir towers with a pipe instead of a weir across the back, and then drilling an additional hole into one of them so I can have a third pipe for a bean animal method overflow.

As far as lighting is going, I don't know if getting a second aquatic life halo would be sufficient for it. The two lights would be able to handle the depth, but I am not so sure about how well they would handle the entire length of the tank. When I get a chance I will take the halo off of the 60P and do a little "test fitting" to see how it would look. If two pendants isn't going to work out, it wouldn't be worth it to get a third and I would instead go with a 60" 4 bulb ATI T5HO fixture that I have my eye on.

Medium sized dog (55 lbs) provided for comparison.

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Last edited by Trnt; 04-23-2017 at 06:23 AM. Reason: added 56k tag to title, changed photo source
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 12:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
That is an awesome setup! Love the tall stand too

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
sweet setup cant wait to see it when its finished!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Looking forward to the progress!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The past couple weeks I have made quite a bit of progress on this tank, although it had been sidelined for a few months after some dog related vet stuff came up ($$, but thankfully she is fine now).

I have completed the plumbing, sanded/polished out a lot of the small scratches which were on the main viewing pane, and it has now been moved from the middle of our entryway/living room to its permanent home. I have bought the baffles for the sump but have yet to receive them.

I connected the two towers with a 1" pipe and a couple of uniseals so that I could treat the towers as one overflow and use a Bean Animal plumbing method.

Here is the driftwood which I have along with how I am planning on using it.

A really bad paint mock up of how the tank will be planted, the round grey things would be cobbles .

A picture of where I moved the tank to, the cabinet on the right is all fish tank related supplies

Lastly, here is a shot of the bottom half. Currently the driftwood is soaking in the sump as I attempt to get rid of some of the tannins.

Trent

Last edited by Trnt; 04-23-2017 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Changed photo source
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Today I got the glass for my sump.

The tinted panes are going to make up the lid to the sump, the small pane will be cover of the tower/media portion of the sump, while the larger pane will get drilled and a couple bulkheads or maybe uniseals will be used for my reactor line and the dry emergency overflow. Having these two separate panes should make it a lot easier to perform maintenance to the media since I won't have to disconnect the plumbing each time I want to get into the sump. My goal this weekend is to silicone the baffles in place with DOW 795.

I was originally going to be using the bioballs I got for "free", but have since decided to use Marinepure, which will have a layer of filter floss (quilting batting) on top of it for mechanical filtration.

The second revision of my sump had an ATO reservoir built in, but I have since decided to change that section into the "overflow" section which will feed the tower so that if anyone decides to go exploring they wind up into a body of water instead of directly onto a pad of filter floss. I also figured having the ends of my full siphon and partial siphon submerged would be quieter.

Trent

Last edited by Trnt; 04-23-2017 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Changed photo source
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I have realized that I am nowhere near being a master tank builder, but I have siliconed the baffles in place. One thing that I had trouble with were some of the spaces were simply too small for me to get the caulking gun into, so I had to apply some onto my finger and then spread it into place and repeat that process until the whole seam was covered. Now I just have to wait 14 days for it to cure...

Test fitting the baffles, the paper towel roll is about the same size as my cerges reactor so I was using that as a dummy.

All siliconed in place.

Some seams are cleaner....

...than others.

Trent
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Today while checking the tank for leaks I noticed I actually had one. Thankfully it was only a small weeper and I was able to quickly identify that it was at the BST bushing for the return line of my pump.

I had applied pipe dope to the threads before putting the bushing on but I guess it was not enough , Which I find it weird though since the pipe dope is rated for 500 PSI in water applications. I took the pump out and applied more pipe dope... a lot more and reinstalled it.

Needless to say I will continue to keep an eye on it. After I reinstalled the pump I decided to test the sump since the silicone should be fully cured by now and I am happy to report that the baffles are functioning as designed . During each of these steps I have been checking if the sump will overflow in the case of a power outage since the person who owned the tank before me installed the bulkhead for the return line below the water level. That's not too big of a deal, it just means I have to take into consideration how much water will back siphon when the power goes out. That reason was a big factor in why I decided to go with a wet dry style sump because I knew it would have the minimum amount of operating water in it meaning it should be able to accept any of the siphoned water... and so far, it has. I will be going to Home Depot later today to get the egg crate for my filter media tower, we will see if it still holds all the water once the media is displacing a large portion of the available sump volume. I'll of course keep you guys posted on how that goes.

Also, my girlfriend REALLY REALLY wants me to get fancy goldfish. I wouldn't mind making the tank into a goldfish tank but that would mean It wouldn't be planted. What do you guys think, continue as planned with a planted tank or bare bottom fancy goldfish tank?

Trent
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I made the media tray out of egg crate and zip-ties, ended up using 4 of the 6 gallons of Marine Pure filter media that I had bought. I haven't decided yet one whether I want to return the unused media or use it as submerged media... however 4 gallons is probably enough.

Things left to do on the sump include making a drip plate for the media tower and drilling the lid for the emergency overflow and my cerges reactor.

Later this month I plan on picking out the stones I actually want to use for the tank and once I have those I will be placing my order for 6-8 bags of aquasoil... if the girlfriend doesn't convince me to go with fancy goldfish before then. When I place the order for the aquasoil I will be ordering the plants at the same time and dry starting a monte carlo carpet. I tried that method on my Spec V and it worked really well with dwarf baby tears. I actually don't have a picture of it trimmed with the blue dream shrimp that now live in it, so here's a picture I have of from when it wasn't cycling yet. lol

Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

Trent
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Friends don't let friends do bare bottom fancy goldfish tanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trnt and Trnt like this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
Friends don't let friends do bare bottom fancy goldfish tanks!
They are really cute though. If it wasn't bare bottom I would go with pool filter sand and round river stones like I am already planning on using. I just know goldfish are supposed to be messy and so that's the appeal of a bare bottom tank. I personally really want it to be a planted tank though with white clouds and maybe hillstream loaches down the line.

Trent
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Show her some pictures of some nice planted tanks with pretty fish. Get her to see the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
Show her some pictures of some nice planted tanks with pretty fish. Get her to see the light.
She knows what beautiful planted tanks look like, she loves watching green machine videos with me. xD

Update regarding the tank: I just ordered 9 bags of Normal type aquasoil. I don't think I will use them all, but I'd rather have too much than not enough. Also Saturday I have plans to pick out my stones, so stay tuned for that.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

Trent
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Went to Blue Ribbon Landscaping Supplies in Orange this morning. After performing an acid test, I ended up taking home 82 lbs of rock for $14. The owner was super nice too. I wish I had thought to take a picture of the pond that they have for you guys.

Anyway, here are some shots of the rocks after I had rinsed them off. Gillette Fatboy provided for scale.

The pebbles aren't as close of a match to the cobbles as I would like, but they are close enough that I think they are acceptable.

Aquasoil should be here Tuesday, so I will probably start scaping the tank then.

Trent
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Couple things to update you guys on. First being that I put some stuff in the tank today.

Second being that I got a whole lot of Bolbitis heudelotii, a couple big chunks of Monte Carlo, and half a dozen stems of Persicaria sp 'pink' from @huhu89151734. I will probably end up getting some more Monte Carlo in the form TC and dry starting this tan. After the carpet is well established I will then flood and move the Persicaria, Bolbitis and lagenandra in.

Third being, I think I need to go back and get some more cobbles for the tank. I also don't know if my drift wood is big enough. I am hoping that the area above the drift wood fills in with the Bolbitis. I am hesitant to get more drift wood since the stuff I have has been soaking to get the tannins out of it for so long, I don't want to start over with a new piece.
huhu89151734 and huhu89151734 like this.

Trent

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode