• 2 Post By Econde
  • 2 Post By dollyhorse101
  • 4 Post By dollyhorse101

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5g Dirted Journal

Thought I'd make a a journal for my 2.5g Walstad tank!

Setup:
-13watt heater
-Dirt (all purpose)
-Fluval stratum
-13watt CFL 6500k in a desk lamp
Plants:
-Wisteria
-Ludwigia
-Amazon sword (yes it's too big, it will be moved out)
-Anubias
-Java fern
-Rotala bonsai
-Glossostigma
-Dwarf sag

It's been set up about 2 months now so here is the progression! I used an all purpose potting soil which does contain fertilizers, so no critters are in it yet until I can be sure that it will not hurt the cherry shrimp I intend to put in. Some bugs from the soil did hitch a ride though and now it's full of them, but I doubt they are harmful. Initially I had a mini DIY CO2 setup which really helped jump start the growth, however I stopped using it because the plants were doing fine, and the more low tech the better!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160927_225711.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	695938  

Name:	20161018_214451.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	695946  

Name:	20161101_210833.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	695954  

Name:	20161129_122512.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	695962  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
That is filling in nicely! Have you had any issues with cycling? Like with high nitrites and such?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
That is filling in nicely! Have you had any issues with cycling? Like with high nitrites and such?
Initially I did, but I performed big water changes the first couple weeks. As soon as the plants started taking off though the ammonium, nitrates and nitrates quickly went down. I had a small bit of a fuzzy green algae on the substrate near the beginning but now I have scoured the tank and can confirm I can't find any algae at present. It went away naturally as the plants overtook. I sometimes forget to do water changes on this thing, but it's low tech and low maintenance enough that I don't worry at this point if I do forget
Econde and Econde like this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's very interesting. So what does your maintenance look like? How often do you change the water if any, or do you just top it off? Also during your cycle, did you feed it ammonia?

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 05:47 PM
Algae Grower

Hi.
What are you using to cap your dirt?

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I believe op is using Fluval Stratum. It's up there in the first post.
mik778866 and mik778866 like this.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
That's very interesting. So what does your maintenance look like? How often do you change the water if any, or do you just top it off? Also during your cycle, did you feed it ammonia?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik778866 View Post
Hi.
What are you using to cap your dirt?

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
Econde, I do very little maintenance. I try to do at least a 50% water change once every 1-2 weeks, but recently I've been forgetting. It's been about 3 weeks since my last water change. Other than that I just remove any dead foliage, and trip if necessary. When I cycled it I did not feed it any ammonia. I considered it but decided to let it just do its thing. I pretty much set up from how it looked in the first picture and then left it other than water changes.

mik778866, yes I use the fluval stratum to cap it. About 1-1.5 cm of dirt, and equal amounts of fluval stratum on top
Econde and Econde like this.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyhorse101 View Post
Econde, I do very little maintenance. I try to do at least a 50% water change once every 1-2 weeks, but recently I've been forgetting. It's been about 3 weeks since my last water change. Other than that I just remove any dead foliage, and trip if necessary. When I cycled it I did not feed it any ammonia. I considered it but decided to let it just do its thing. I pretty much set up from how it looked in the first picture and then left it other than water changes.

mik778866, yes I use the fluval stratum to cap it. About 1-1.5 cm of dirt, and equal amounts of fluval stratum on top
So is your tank fully cycled yet? During the 2 months, did you test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? The soil would release ammonia no?

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
So is your tank fully cycled yet? During the 2 months, did you test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? The soil would release ammonia no?
Yes, it is fully cycled at this point. At the beginning the dirt certainly released ammonia, and I had to do large water changes initially. Last I checked nitrates/nitrites were zero and ammonia <0.25ppm. The levels didn't lower until the plants had grown significantly. It was when the they basically took over, like in the last picture, when they finally were at reasonable levels

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode