• 4 Post By Newtoplants
  • 2 Post By Newtoplants
  • 2 Post By Newtoplants
  • 2 Post By Newtoplants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just want to share my new 10 gallon desk lamp set up!

After seeing a setup that used desk lamps for lighting I decided to give it a try! This is my second ever tank setup and have made a few mistakes along the way but I am pretty optimistic that it will be a happy environment for a school of celestial pearl dannio and a few cherry shrimp.

So far it is housing 2 echinodoris rose, a few sprigs of limnophilia sessiflora, some ludwiga rupin, Hygrophila 'Siamensis 53B', and a couple tiny pieces of an unknown plant hanging out in front of the filter that came with some shrimp for another tank, maybe bacopa but not sure. I plan to add a couple Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica' in the sides of the middle ground and finish off with some Hydrocotyle tripartita up the right side and in the foreground.

I used tropica aquarium soil covered by national geographic black sand, two clip on desk lamps from home depot with 13w daylight CFL bulbs, and DIY gatorade bottle CO2 just starting to bubble.

I have very little experience so would love any input you all have, hopefully I will post again in not too long with a more lush version to share!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161115_222943.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	690993  

Last edited by Newtoplants; 11-20-2016 at 11:00 PM. Reason: changed species
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I changed up the rocks a bit, added some Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' in there and some dwarf hair grass in the foreground. I am still waiting on a couple plants but it is starting to come together!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161120_142452.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	692274  

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice work!
Would suggest getting a black intake sponge if possible, white sticks out too much.

Last edited by Mattb126; 11-21-2016 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Edit

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:31 AM
Algae Grower

Looks awesome! Love desk lamps over nano tanks :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb126 View Post
Nice work!
Would suggest getting a black intake sponge if possible, white sticks out too much.
I am definitely going to pick up the black fluval prefilter sponge next time I am at my LFS and will also be putting a plant in front of the intake so it won't stand out as much but ya, it kind of bugs me too. I could have had the filter off to the side like normal but then you would see the arm for one of the lamps twisted to the side which looked kind of ugly. I ended up with the filter in the middle for the sake of symmetry but now it needs some hiding for sure.
Mattb126 and Mattb126 like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtoplants View Post
I am definitely going to pick up the black fluval prefilter sponge next time I am at my LFS and will also be putting a plant in front of the intake so it won't stand out as much but ya, it kind of bugs me too. I could have had the filter off to the side like normal but then you would see the arm for one of the lamps twisted to the side which looked kind of ugly. I ended up with the filter in the middle for the sake of symmetry but now it needs some hiding for sure.
Also, that front right corner is just screaming for crypts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Screaming for something for sure! My plan right now is a low carpet of Hydrocotyle tripartita to fill that area and the small gap between the rocks and the background plants. I will hopefully be picking that up tomorrow!
Mattb126 and Mattb126 like this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quite a few changes to the set up this week. Got a much better looking black pre-filter on there, got the hydrocotyle tripartita on the right and most dramatically removed both rose echinodorus that were in there! From the beginning i knew they were just too big for the tank so they got moved to the other larger tank that i am setting up.

To replace the echinodorus in the back right corner i got some Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii' which will be much more manageable once it grows in. I added a few stalks of it to the front left as well but will likely just pull those out later and leave that corner open.

The tank also got some of its permanent residents, a group of 5 orange sakura shrimp! I believe they are just a fancy morph of red cherry shrimp but they look quite nice in there.

I am still waiting on one more plant to go in front of the filter, hopefully that will be in there early next week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161124_153110.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	693450  

Name:	20161124_153118.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	693458  

Econde and Econde like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quite a few developments in the last week and a bit. So far two of the female shrimp have moved fertilized eggs down to their tails and I have added/replaced a couple plants and moved a moss ball in there.

I took out the Limnophila sessiliflora from the back corner and replaced it with little baby Rotala Bonsai that I will let grow up tall to fill in the background. I also added Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig' in front of the filter and it has already grown quite a lot in the 4 days since putting it in. The Ludwiga is growing really nicely as well, it has been trimmed once reaching the surface 3 times since starting the tank.

All it all I really like how it is turning out and I am happy to see my hairgrass spreading and the Alternanthera developing their nice pink leaves!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161202_220715.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	696378  

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lots of things have changed in this tank since the last time I posted! The rotala bonsai in the back left died off for some reason as the stems melted right at the substrate level and gradually all broke off leaving the tops of the plants still seemingly happy. I shifted over the Ludwiga repins to fill the space. Everything else has been growing in really well.

The tank is now home to at least 30 orange sakura shrimp and 8 bloodfin tetra fry that ended up in there when this tank housed their parents for 24 hours while I did some scaping in the 36 gallon tank these guys will move to when they get just a little bigger. All in all I am really happy with how this tank has come along!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170113_202411.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	710529  

Name:	20170113_214602.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	710537  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode