High Tech 60p - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 8 Post By Ben Belton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
High Tech 60p

I don't have a name for this. "Too #%$ Many Rocks" comes to mind. Probably in a few weeks I'll be able to call it "Too #%$ Many Rocks Algae Farm"

The Short Story
Aquarium: ADA 60p
Stand: ADA
Substrate: ADA Amazonia
CO2: Compressed with GLA regulator
Light: Current USA Satellite Plus Pro- Learning how to run this thing. On/Off is all I have figured out so far.
Filter: Eheim Pro4 (yes, I know it is overkill)
Plants: Monte Carlo, Cryptocoryne parva, Cyperus helferi, Ludwigia arcuata This is not exactly what I had in mind, but when I went to buy, what I had in mind was sold out. So going with this for now. Looking forward to Rachel O getting in the Aquanova plants soon.
Fertilizer: Will just supplement the Aquasoil with some trace and K at first and slowly move to EI as the Aquasoil gives out

First new set up in a long long time. First ever with Aquasoil. Havenít done a small tank in a decade. This is going to be a bit of a learning curve

The Long Story

I guess this is a bit of a re-introduction. Many years ago I was big into this. You can see me in this pic from 2005 in front of the famous tank in Amanoís house in Niigata, Japan. Iíve always loved to grow the plants, and never tried seriously at aquascping. So this is my effort to change that.

I actually bought this tank, stand, and the Aquasoil about 11 years ago. I drove to Texas from Virginia to pick it up. It was soon after that that the death of a parent, a new town, and a new love for growing orchids put me on a path in life I never expected. This tank has never had water in it. It is now in its 5th house. Iím not even sure it hasnít dry rotted and will hold water. In light of Mr Amanoís recent death, the unpacking was a bit of a moment for me. (It was my plan to put water in the tank to test it, but I got excited and well.... itís too late for that now.)

Goal 1: Use this to lean to be a better aquascaper on. I hope to change up the plants every so often and the rocks. There are too many rocks here. The challenge will be to have a successful Iwagumi style with only 3-5 rocks. I really want to try a sand only foreground. Never done that.

Goal 2: Just to enjoy the beauty of a planted tank that is pearling like crazy.

Anyway, the plants should be in the mail on their way. I hope to update with that before Thanksgiving. I havenít tested water and figured out dosing in a long time. Kind of excited. Kind of dread it.

I didn't want to risk scratching the glass of the good aquarium as I worked with the rocks, so I bought a 20H and practiced on it. I had the tank and rocks awhile, but never had time to work on it. Then hurricane Matthew came through, and there wasn't much else to do that day. So I worked on it then.

I made 3 different layouts before I settled on this one. I took several pictures so I could seamlessly move it over to the 60p. That didn't go as easily as I planned. The 60p is only slightly smaller, but the rocks just didn't seem to want to go back the way they had been in the 20H.

ADA stands are amazing

And here is the finished product waiting on water and plants. Might take awhile to take this on. The holidays are not the best time to start a new project.
Opare, Opare, Nlewis and 5 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 02:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
It's looking pretty good now! Very dynamic.
That ADA stand is very beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

After all this time I finally have it planted.

Elocharis sp mini
Crypt parva
Crypt nevelli
Ludwigia actuata- tiny tissue culture plants too small to see in back I have some big stuff coming
Cypherus helferi- tiny tissue culture plants too small to see in back
Blyxa japonica- actually on order I will repost when that is in. I had some and killed it

I learned (the hard way)....
It is hard to plant between these rocks. Space is tight for the plants and your tweezers.
These rocks are filthy. They need to be washed before you fill the tank. Tank was crazy cloudy, and today is actually day #2. It was the rocks and not the Aquasoil

I have CO2 going, but I haven't worked on getting the amount right. I don't have any livestock yet. I also need a heater. Any recommendations.

Very happy with things so far, but I know rough times are likely ahead.

I like the tissue cultured hair grass. The cups are tiny and I got 3 thinking I would need them all. I only needed one. The L arcuata was microscopic however, and I was not happy with that. Maybe other things would be better. The Cypherus was a couple inches tall. It was nice to plant.

Pic is a little dark. I haven't worked on taking aquarium pics in years. How do you get the sides of the tank straight?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Your tank looks great and I love the rocks. It would be a shame to add a heater into as well (although you may be able to hide it behind the rocks). I'm running a Hydor inline with an Inkbird temperature controller and I'm extremely happy so far. The Inkbird is also my temperature gauge (no thermometer in the tank). That being said I'm the furthest thing from an expert and I'm sure you will get much better advice. Looking forward to seeing the evolution.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
Your tank looks great and I love the rocks. It would be a shame to add a heater into as well (although you may be able to hide it behind the rocks). I'm running a Hydor inline with an Inkbird temperature controller and I'm extremely happy so far. The Inkbird is also my temperature gauge (no thermometer in the tank). That being said I'm the furthest thing from an expert and I'm sure you will get much better advice. Looking forward to seeing the evolution.
Thanks, you're right in that I don't want to add yet something else to the tank. I would love to use an inline heater, but the tank and stand are small. There is very little tubing length between the filter and pipes to put anything. There's no room in the stand either. So I'm probably going to have to put on in the tank.

I have an Eheim Thermofilter that has the heater in it, but it needs repair. I hope to get that done and use it, but that might be awhile. I want critters in the next few weeks. So going to look for something to put inside the tank and hope that it is temporary.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Love you Ben, welcome back home!

My recommendation is let it grow for a while and see what happens before changing anything around.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:38 PM
Planted Member

Any updates on this tank?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
Any updates on this tank?
Yeah, it's a big green cesspool right now. I haven't had time to work with it. I hope to get back on track after this week.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:15 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Belton View Post
Yeah, it's a big green cesspool right now. I haven't had time to work with it. I hope to get back on track after this week.

For a moment I had a picture of Detroit or Baltimore pop into my face.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode