60" 120 high tech community planted tank journal - Page 17 - The Planted Tank Forum
 246Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #241 of 251 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I donít like the looks of my daytime light setup the way it is. I am considering using JUST my AI Prime spotlights for awhile, since the PAR was good and high with them, and not my T-5s, or switching out my T-5 bulbs for different colors. I currently have a piece of window screen shielding my buce plants on my driftwood from the T-5s, since the driftwood lifts them pretty high and the T-5s are strong, and they are doing great. Bouncing back from all this recent nonsense and putting out flower buds.

But, Iím concerned about my red plants if I make a lighting change.

What do yíall use to make reds pop in your T-5 setups? I believe I read somewhere in @burr740ís posts that he canít get red plants to ďpopĒ using LEDs?

I need to remember what Iím running for T-5s, as far as bulbs go. With 60Ē length, I had a limited choice. Iíll post what Iíve got tomorrow.
Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

Tanks a bunch!

My current 120 tank journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 251 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 03:29 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tank's looking good, @Tanks! Looks like the UV is doing the trick.

I can't speak for the T5'ers around here, but I know they will want to know exactly what bulbs you are running. If you don't have any red or purple bulbs, they're going to send you shopping for those.
Greggz and Tanks! like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #243 of 251 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 12:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Lookin great
Tanks! likes this.

my 20 gallon journal:

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:

post #244 of 251 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thx. My water is crystal clear. SO GOOD!

Now, Iím planning on buying some fish and thinking Iíll keep this UV sterilizer on for a good long time to come. (WONDERING: Why donít people run these ALL. THE. TIME.?

As for lights: my bulbs back of tank to front are:

Giesmann 80 w Super Flora (ďhigh-performance T5 tube developed for optimum plant growth and to accentuate the blue & red colors of your fishď)
Giesmann 80 w Powerchrome Tropic (ďfull spectrum 6500k HO T5 lamp with enhanced photosynthetic peaks which recreates a natural sunlight effectĒ)
Geismann 80 w Powerchrome Super Purple (ď the ultimate white/violet spectrum T5 lamp to accentuate coral and fish colors as well as providing proper light intensity for coral growthď) Recommended for reef tanks, but Iíve read about others using purple, so I have it.
Geismann 80 w Powerchrome Tropic (See above.)

I wanted to get another Super Flora when I bought these, but they were not available during the height of COVID. Now they are. I could replace the Tropic lights with Super Flora... what do others think?

Bump: And thinking about new rainbowfish... Iím looking at Aquabid and thinking that the offerings are more for breeders... 3 pair; batches of 6 juvies with no sexing, etc. Iím thinking of going with Imperial Tropicals for some Dority, Herbies, and McCulluchís, and Goyder River males. Anyone know anything about Imperial Tropicals or have any better suggestions?
Greggz likes this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #245 of 251 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks! View Post
Thx. My water is crystal clear. SO GOOD!

Now, I’m planning on buying some fish and thinking I’ll keep this UV sterilizer on for a good long time to come. (WONDERING: Why don’t people run these ALL. THE. TIME.?

As for lights: my bulbs back of tank to front are:

Giesmann 80 w Super Flora (“high-performance T5 tube developed for optimum plant growth and to accentuate the blue & red colors of your fish“)
Giesmann 80 w Powerchrome Tropic (“full spectrum 6500k HO T5 lamp with enhanced photosynthetic peaks which recreates a natural sunlight effect”)
Geismann 80 w Powerchrome Super Purple (“ the ultimate white/violet spectrum T5 lamp to accentuate coral and fish colors as well as providing proper light intensity for coral growth“) Recommended for reef tanks, but I’ve read about others using purple, so I have it.
Geismann 80 w Powerchrome Tropic (See above.)

I wanted to get another Super Flora when I bought these, but they were not available during the height of COVID. Now they are. I could replace the Tropic lights with Super Flora... what do others think?

Bump: And thinking about new rainbowfish... I’m looking at Aquabid and thinking that the offerings are more for breeders... 3 pair; batches of 6 juvies with no sexing, etc. I’m thinking of going with Imperial Tropicals for some Dority, Herbies, and McCulluch’s, and Goyder River males. Anyone know anything about Imperial Tropicals or have any better suggestions?
With all 5' bulbs, you are limited with bulb selection. Most of the heavily colored ones are only available in 4' bulbs.

With the Super Purple, I would add more Super Flora and less Tropic. The tropic is more of a "daylight" bulb and too much of it can create a yellow hue to the tank. But as always, it's what looks good to YOUR eye that is important.

Imperial Tropicals has been working with some well known breeders and in general has good quality stock. Like you said, breeders typically sell very small bows in larger quantities of a single species. With IT you can get a nice mix of Bows, and they will be a bit larger than those you get from a breeder. If you are looking to jump start your Bow population, IT is a good way to go.
zivvel, Tanks! and Immortal1 like this.

---
---
post #246 of 251 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
With all 5' bulbs, you are limited with bulb selection. Most of the heavily colored ones are only available in 4' bulbs.

With the Super Purple, I would add more Super Flora and less Tropic. The tropic is more of a "daylight" bulb and too much of it can create a yellow hue to the tank. But as always, it's what looks good to YOUR eye that is important.

Imperial Tropicals has been working with some well known breeders and in general has good quality stock. Like you said, breeders typically sell very small bows in larger quantities of a single species. With IT you can get a nice mix of Bows, and they will be a bit larger than those you get from a breeder. If you are looking to jump start your Bow population, IT is a good way to go.
Yep; that confirms what I was thinking, Gregg. Iím going to play with my spotlights and see if I can tone down the daylights, since shipping is so high for 60Ē bulbs. I can add reds/blues in easily, but whether it will be too much light if I do is a question!

I ordered from IT! I ordered two Goyer River, two McCullochís, and one Herbie (since I already have one). Iíve gotten fish from IT before and been very pleased. I ordered these breeds last time (on the eve of my ich outbreak) and lost all but one Herbie. Heartbreaking! Iím hoping that the UV sterilizer and general clean tank will yield a happier outcome this time! The Herbie that survived is very active and healthy. Hereís hoping!
zivvel and Immortal1 like this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #247 of 251 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 01:25 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Guessing (hoping) you will have much better luck this time around with the bows. Clean water and a little UV will go a long way towards providing the best possible growing conditions :-)
As for the T5 bulbs - that is Gregg's world. Too bad you weren't a bit closer - I would convert your T5 fixture to a stagger arrangement using 4' bulbs.
Greggz and Tanks! like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #248 of 251 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Guessing (hoping) you will have much better luck this time around with the bows. Clean water and a little UV will go a long way towards providing the best possible growing conditions :-)
As for the T5 bulbs - that is Gregg's world. Too bad you weren't a bit closer - I would convert your T5 fixture to a stagger arrangement using 4' bulbs.
Thanks, Linn!

I have considered staggering, but I like my T5/LED combo. Just think I need to find the sweet spot. I am going to order more Floras when I get more money... I agree with Gregg about too much Tropica lights. Wondering if Actinics would be any help?
Greggz likes this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #249 of 251 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks! View Post
Thanks, Linn!

I have considered staggering, but I like my T5/LED combo. Just think I need to find the sweet spot. I am going to order more Floras when I get more money... I agree with Gregg about too much Tropica lights. Wondering if Actinics would be any help?
Only way to know is to try it.

It's some work, but the best way to evaluate colors is to take pics with different combinations. Many times there are subtle differences. It really helps to see what those differences are by comparing side by side pics.
Immortal1 likes this.

---
---
post #250 of 251 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So, I posted elsewhere on the Fish thread that I might just have to throw in the fish-keeping towel for good, here. Got what looks like TB (apparently have had it since I got a bunch of free fish from a reputable breeder...).

Sucks.

Weíll see if anyone offers a different view than this one: https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Myc...Fn2YpYmxknbnCw

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #251 of 251 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okay. I’ve recovered my balance from my sick fish episode. Have watched remaining fish for a month, and no issues. I’m going to assume that I did not, in fact, have mycobacteriosis and go on from there. Bought myself a pair of upper-arm length gloves to work in the tank, and on we go.

The tank was doing well after installing the in-tank clarifier, but these days, I have green algae growing on slow-growing leaves of plants, like my buce. Question for my gurus: in general terms, which imbalance causes excessive green algae? Like, too much light, not enough CO2? Too much ferts, not enough light? Just a general way to head would be really helpful. @Greggz, @Immortal1

Bump: I am also working at installing a Vecton 2 25 watt Level 2 sterilizer on the main tank, and have a Level 2 sterilizer on my QT tank. I donít expect it to defeat any and all diseases, but itís at least a help, I hope. My issue right now is to find a plumbing solution for the Vecton. I posted in ďEquipmentĒ but so far no answers. Iím going to cross post here, in case someone misses it over there.

I have a 120 planted rainbow tank that has gone through some bouts with first ich and then green water, so I pulled the trigger on a Vecton 2 600 and now Iím scratching my head on how to plumb it.

I was going to plumb in into the outlet of one of my two Eheim 4 Pro 600 canister filters. Currently, one is plumbed into my Cerges reactor (for CO2) and thence into a manifold that delivers the CO2 to the tank. Itís definitely the slower output of the two, because the Cerges tamps down the flow. Therefore, I had planned to plumb the Vecton thru the second canister filter output, which simply goes to a spraybar. However, we measured the ACTUAL flow coming out of the spraybar, using a stopwatch and bucket, and itís only at 144 gph. The filter is stated to have a max flow of 330 Gph.

(Full disclosure: One question that Iíve had and not thoroughly explored is whether a cause of the lowered flow is the result of the Eheim pre-filters that I have on both inlets to my canister filters. They do an excellent job of pre-filtering, and I like them because I disturb the bio field less in that I donít need to service my canisters as often. I really should try taking them off and seeing what the spraybar flow is, but assume for the sake of this post that itís still not going to get to 275... just the spraybar itself has to be retarding flow.)

For the size of my tank, and my goals for my UVS (Level 2 sterilization), I am trying to turn this tank over thru the Vecton at a rate of 2.5-3 times per hour. Since there are about 110 gallons in my tank (itís never full to the top), Iím therefore working for a gph of 275-330 gph. (I am also aware the the circulation of flow within the tank will play into effective sterilization, but I can handle that aspect well, I think.)

My question is where to go from here.

* Iím not eager to buy another canister filter... Iím not thinking there are many with significantly more output, and I only need boosted flow, not filtration. Unless it would be the NuClear filter, with a significant pump. Seems like these filters can handle high throughput. ANYONE HAVE ONE and can speak to it?

*. I donít think that plumbing a pump inline from the canister to the Vecton and back to the spraybar will work, and from all I read on this forum, it will be noisy.

* I would not mind putting a simple submersible pump in my tank (hiding it behind plants) but it would need to have some kind of pre-filtration ó like a sponge filter ó or else the UVS glass gets dirty and Level 2 sterilization wonít be happening.

* I could get an exterior pump, but am wondering how I would then prefilter...

Help? What options/methods am I missing? TIA.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode