60" 120 high tech community planted tank journal - Page 16 - The Planted Tank Forum
 246Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #226 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks! View Post
Got a recommendation for a UV light? I was looking at inline modelsóI have my Eheim 4+ canister filter (just cleaning water) and my second one (Eheim 4+) that runs the CO2 as a diffuser, and has bio filter mass. If I put the UV on the main filter, will it slow flow? I was thinking that since Iím planning to add quite a few fish in the not-to-distant future (letting my QT tank go a month fishless, and then will need to cycle again) the UV would help with future ich as well.

Iíve been pondering a possible third filter for increased surface turbulation... smaller... could put it on that, I suppose. Thoughts?
I have a cheap sunsun UV light with a pump. Does the job, and good to have on hand when you need it.

Get one. It will save you some misery. Green water algae can be a bugger to beat without it.

Kind of like BGA. You can fight it lots of ways, but a chemical solution will solve it quick.
Immortal1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 12:12 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Got a recommendation for a UV light? I was looking at inline modelsóI have my Eheim 4+ canister filter (just cleaning water) and my second one (Eheim 4+) that runs the CO2 as a diffuser, and has bio filter mass. If I put the UV on the main filter, will it slow flow? I was thinking that since Iím planning to add quite a few fish in the not-to-distant future (letting my QT tank go a month fishless, and then will need to cycle again) the UV would help with future ich as well.

Iíve been pondering a possible third filter for increased surface turbulation... smaller... could put it on that, I suppose. Thoughts?
Inline UV would slow the filter flow some. I have not used an inline UV so I don't have a recommendation but I suspect there amy many good brands out there. Agreed, it would help with the ich issue.
Just thinking about numbers for a minute - I have an Eheim 4+ model 350 on my wifes 40g cube. Flow in the tank is decent but not huge. Would I use this filter on a 60g cube with a lot of fish - no.
If I had 2 Eheim 4+ filters on a 120g tank and a lot of fish I would also be a bit concerned. If you had room for a 3rd Eheim 4+ and used that to also power the UV then I would think you would have enough flow for "quite a few fish".

My biggest gripe with the Eheim 4+ is the top tray. When I was using one of these filters on my 75g tank I had to remove a clean the top course filter every week as it got over whelmed. As a bit of an experiment (you know I like doing experiments) I removed the top course filter pad and replaced it with Eheim ceramic MECH. Very cleanable material and less prone to getting clogged up. The bottom tray of the filter now has 2 course filter pads which actually have a larger surface area than the original small one that was at the top. Middle tray is BioMech, top tray has biomedia and a filter floss pad.

Thats my Saturday AM thoughts :-)
Greggz likes this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #228 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am also wondering about changing out my filters... like, if the biosphere is disturbed, is it the ich meds hiding in the filter, or dead bacteria in there that needs flushed?

@Greggz: what are IME water changes?

Tanks a bunch!

My current 120 tank journal:

Marcia

post #229 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Inline UV would slow the filter flow some. I have not used an inline UV so I don't have a recommendation but I suspect there amy many good brands out there. Agreed, it would help with the ich issue.
Just thinking about numbers for a minute - I have an Eheim 4+ model 350 on my wifes 40g cube. Flow in the tank is decent but not huge. Would I use this filter on a 60g cube with a lot of fish - no.
If I had 2 Eheim 4+ filters on a 120g tank and a lot of fish I would also be a bit concerned. If you had room for a 3rd Eheim 4+ and used that to also power the UV then I would think you would have enough flow for "quite a few fish".

My biggest gripe with the Eheim 4+ is the top tray. When I was using one of these filters on my 75g tank I had to remove a clean the top course filter every week as it got over whelmed. As a bit of an experiment (you know I like doing experiments) I removed the top course filter pad and replaced it with Eheim ceramic MECH. Very cleanable material and less prone to getting clogged up. The bottom tray of the filter now has 2 course filter pads which actually have a larger surface area than the original small one that was at the top. Middle tray is BioMech, top tray has biomedia and a filter floss pad.

Thats my Saturday AM thoughts :-)
Hey, Linn!

Thanks for checking in. I agree about the Eheim, and what I did was to buy a bucked of SeaChem Matrix, and lose all the plastic mech. I filled all the top trays with Matrix and Mech and then put a coarse filter at the bottom. I also bought Eheim pre-filters for both intakes, and they definitely are catching a lot of crud. They are easy to clean.

I donít think I have room for a third +4. Currently, the second one is plumbed through the Cerges, which necessarily dumbs down the flow. I canít find online yet what the flow wants to be through a 15 watt UV sterilizer, but generally speaking, slower is more better so Iím thinking of plumbing a new, smaller canister through the Cerges and re-plumbing the 4+ through the UV sterilizer. Got recommendations for a decent flow canister thatís got a smaller footprint than the 4+? (And donít say Eheim Classic, because I had two 2217s that failed due to their bogus clip system! .)

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #230 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 02:09 PM
Captain

I think the little Fluval's have a pretty small foot print (Fluval 207 measures 7.5 x 7 x 16.5”). Hydor filters also seem to have a pretty small foot print but I know nothing about them.
Looking at the various pics on this site, the Fluval seems to have the smallest foot print.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #231 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I have a cheap sunsun UV light with a pump. Does the job, and good to have on hand when you need it.

Get one. It will save you some misery. Green water algae can be a bugger to beat without it.

Kind of like BGA. You can fight it lots of ways, but a chemical solution will solve it quick.
Are you talking about a submersible that you put into the tank when you need it? I found a 13 w one for $38 + tax on eBay and just ordered it. Thanks for the direction, as always.

Bump:
Quote:
I think the little Fluval's have a pretty small foot print (Fluval 207 measures 7.5 x 7 x 16.5Ē). Hydor filters also seem to have a pretty small foot print but I know nothing about them.
Looking at the various pics on this site, the Fluval seems to have the smallest foot print.
I will keep that in mind. Iím using @Greggz solution (I think) and bought a submersible that I can use in either tank just now... BUT. Iím still thinking about adding flow to my big tank, so will check out these canisters pronto. Thanks again, Linn!
Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #232 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I am also wondering about changing out my filters... like, if the biosphere is disturbed, is it the ich meds hiding in the filter, or dead bacteria in there that needs flushed?

Frequent filter cleaning is a good practice in general. It's not just what's built up on the media, but the other dissolved organics and general gunk that is in there. Remember, it's in the water column. Cleaner is always better.

My guess (only a guess) is the combination of heat and meds may have hurt your bio field. It takes time for it to build back up. Could very well be the cause of the green water. I had the same thing happen shortly after I changed my substrate. Popped in the UV and it cleared right up.

---
---
post #233 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 04:56 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
@Tanks!, "IME" stands for "In My Experience".

Sounds like you have a good solution on its way from eBay. Good luck!
Greggz and Tanks! like this.

post #234 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Frequent filter cleaning is a good practice in general. It's not just what's built up on the media, but the other dissolved organics and general gunk that is in there. Remember, it's in the water column. Cleaner is always better.
This confuses me, because I set out to clean each of my two Eheim Pro4+ on a two week rotation, so, once a month, but they do not seem dirty... and I have read that one should not disturb the bio field unless necessary. Can you clarify for me when you get time, please, @Greggz?
Greggz likes this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #235 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
This confuses me, because I set out to clean each of my two Eheim Pro4+ on a two week rotation, so, once a month, but they do not seem dirty... and I have read that one should not disturb the bio field unless necessary. Can you clarify for me when you get time, please, @Greggz?
Once a month is pretty good. Mine is about the same sometimes 3 weeks sometimes a month. Some folks go a LONG time between cleanings, and that is not good for a planted tank.

And having two filters is a good thing, as you don't disturb the bio field of one when you clean the other.

Also keep in mind the bio field is a lot more than what is going on in the filter. It's also on surfaces/substrate all over the tank.

I would just keep doing what you are doing.
zivvel, Tanks! and Immortal1 like this.

---
---
post #236 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 11:02 PM
Captain

Quote:
Once a month is pretty good. Mine is about the same sometimes 3 weeks sometimes a month. Some folks go a LONG time between cleanings, and that is not good for a planted tank.

And having two filters is a good thing, as you don't disturb the bio field of one when you clean the other.

Also keep in mind the bio field is a lot more than what is going on in the filter. It's also on surfaces/substrate all over the tank.

I would just keep doing what you are doing.

I would almost guess there is more bio filtration IN my tank than in my filter. I believe @Deanna removed all bio media from her filters a long time ago
Greggz and Deanna like this.

Last edited by Immortal1; 08-29-2020 at 11:27 PM. Reason: <?>
post #237 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I would almost guess there is more bio filtration IN my tank than in my filter. I believe @Deanna removed all bio media from her filters a long time ago
Yes, except for a couple-month test, I (a 'him' not a 'her' - wish I could add a hyphen in there) removed my bio-media about 3 years ago. My canister filter is mechanical filtration only and primarily serves to move water through my UVS and Griggs reactor and then create circulation within the tank. Surface agitation is with a cheap self-powered skimmer only.

I now remove the cheap polyester from the filter once a month, by which time it is probably in the beginning stages of developing BB.
post #238 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 01:24 AM
Algae Grower

Could those of you who are more experienced comment on the claims of only cleaning Poret sponges every few years, and the desire for "mulm" vs cleaning our canisters every 2/3 mo.
This article is representative of how long ppl claim to go between cleanings.
Is this not relevant bcs our tanks are plant focused?

https://fish2water.com/filtration-design.php
post #239 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So... just so I can feel better when this is over... hereís the yuck before I did a 50% water change and filter cleaning today.

Greggz, zivvel and Immortal1 like this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #240 of 251 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It got worse than the picture above before the UV arrived four days later. I couldnít see more than halfway into the tank; couldnít really see the fish hardly at all unless they were right up front. YUCK!

This little 13 watt UV sterilizer is great. It arrived from the eBay seller a day early (on Thursday). 24 hours later, the water was noticeably clearer. Today (Saturday) it is again clearer, but not ďall clear.Ē Monday is my normal weekly maintenance day, but I did do a lot of plant work. I wanted to get out the leaves of plants that were covered in green algae, or at least wipe them off.

So, hereís a picture from Saturday: about 30 hours of UV work.

Given that Iím hoping to add quite a few fish in the near future, Iím planning on leaving the UV running 24/7 for the foreseeable future.

Tonight, with main lights out, we are ALMOST clear:

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode