60" 120 high tech community planted tank journal - Page 15 - The Planted Tank Forum
 246Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
@burr740. OKay... it is time to trim some plants. (This is a good thing; they are thriving!)

Pantanai is near the surface level of the tank. Seems leggy to me... cut how much and replant, and then what? Throw away the stump? I want more shoots of this, in general, so keep the stumps?

Rubin will be there in a day or two. Again: plant the tops and do what with the stumps?

Nymphoides: at surface today and Iíve already planted two new offshoots... so, I guess Iíll just discard tall ones? SAD because I love this plant so much!
Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

Tanks a bunch!

My current 120 tank journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 05:01 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
Trim time! Pantanal and rubin, replant the tops and leave 4"-5" stumps in place, the stumps will sprout new ones. Can keep the Nymphoides in check by pinching off the biggest leaf or two as needed.
Greggz, Tanks! and Immortal1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #213 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, @burr740. One more question: in looking at my buce, I see some leaves with some green algae growing on them. I read that buce was okay in high light... and I have it in the darkest section of my tank, but thatís not truly dim. Any thoughts? How much light were they under in your tanks?

In other news: big sigh. The fish in QT also came down with ich last night. I did a big water change this AM, dosed their tank, and gave them all a 1-hour dip in Paraguard. Hoping theyíll be better tomorrow. The fish in the big tank continue to look betteróall but the one hat had it worst. Heís still pale, but stays right in the middle of the strongest flow. Iím not raising temps in the QT. Temps in the big tank are 82.5* or so. AND: I lost an Oto cat today. :-(
Greggz likes this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia

post #214 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The battle against ich continues. Temps are around 83*-84* in both main and QT tanks. Some fish seem completely over it, others are still battling. Iím running out of Paraguard, but more is on the way...

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #215 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

SO, the ich battle is over. Lost a total of 10 fish (4 from main display and 6/7 of new fish). Bummer.

Now Iíve got problems with brown algae. Itís tinging the leaves of many of my green plants: Nymphoides especially... So, Iíve got my temperatures back down around 76.4 to 77 (end of lights on) and Iíve been going a bit heavy on the ferts... figured the plants had been through a lot. Photo period is 11 AM to 5 PM.

@burr740 or @Greggz: What can I do to diminish brown algae?

Immortal1 likes this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #216 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Could be you had some stress on the bio filter with the temps and med dosing. Or plants just got stressed by it all. Really hard to say for sure.

I would not worry too much about it, just keep up with water changes and creating clean conditions. My guess (only a guess!) is that it starts to diminish pretty quickly.

In the meantime, I would wipe off what you can. Algae on leaves can interfere with uptake of light, causing leaves to become weak. If any leaves are covered badly and deteriorating/melting, remove them.
Tanks! likes this.

---
---
post #217 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Could be you had some stress on the bio filter with the temps and med dosing. Or plants just got stressed by it all. Really hard to say for sure.

I would not worry too much about it, just keep up with water changes and creating clean conditions. My guess (only a guess!) is that it starts to diminish pretty quickly.

In the meantime, I would wipe off what you can. Algae on leaves can interfere with uptake of light, causing leaves to become weak. If any leaves are covered badly and deteriorating/melting, remove them.
Thx, as always, @Greggz!

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #218 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 08:08 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
Yeah just a phase. It usually has to run its course for 2-3 weeks, then goes away. Probably killed some bio filter during all that, or overloaded it if there were dead fish in there for any length of time
Greggz and Tanks! like this.

post #219 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 10:56 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
@Tanks! - happy to hear you beat the ich :-) . Sorry to hear what the cost was :-(
I believe Gregg & Joe have the algae issue pretty well covered. Hopefully the "bumps" are behind you now.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #220 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-19-2020, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, Guys. Gotta say, itís nicer looking at healthy, happy fish for a change!

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #221 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Do plants that are failing ďlet goĒ and float to the top? If not, I have something digging up just a few types of plants in my tank. For fish, except for False Juli Cats that I added about six weeks ago, I have all the same ones Iíve had for years. I also have some snails that are descendants of ones Iíve had for years, unless some of the plants I purchased brought in new ones.

What do you think?

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #222 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 10:55 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks! View Post
Do plants that are failing ďlet goĒ and float to the top? If not, I have something digging up just a few types of plants in my tank. For fish, except for False Juli Cats that I added about six weeks ago, I have all the same ones Iíve had for years. I also have some snails that are descendants of ones Iíve had for years, unless some of the plants I purchased brought in new ones.

What do you think?
Good question. I have, on several occasions, experienced what you described (plant floating to the surface). In most of my cases, it seemed that the bottom part of the stem along with the root system just rotted off. But, the very top looked good. In most cases, I cut off the ratty bottom and re-planted the top - usually with good success.

Why this happens? don't know. Substrate in that exact spot having too much of something? Kinda doubt it as I usually put the top back into the same spot.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #223 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Now I have green water. SIGH. How best to get rid of it, guys? @Greggz? @Immortal1?
Greggz likes this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #224 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks! View Post
Now I have green water. SIGH. How best to get rid of it, guys? @Greggz? @Immortal1?
Not a surprise.

Makes sense with the other things going on. Like the other symptoms, likely caused by a disturbance to the bio field.

Best and quickest relief is UV light.

Other than that, IME multiple water changes and time.

---
---
post #225 of 251 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Not a surprise.

Makes sense with the other things going on. Like the other symptoms, likely caused by a disturbance to the bio field.

Best and quickest relief is UV light.

Other than that, IME multiple water changes and time.
Got a recommendation for a UV light? I was looking at inline modelsóI have my Eheim 4+ canister filter (just cleaning water) and my second one (Eheim 4+) that runs the CO2 as a diffuser, and has bio filter mass. If I put the UV on the main filter, will it slow flow? I was thinking that since Iím planning to add quite a few fish in the not-to-distant future (letting my QT tank go a month fishless, and then will need to cycle again) the UV would help with future ich as well.

Iíve been pondering a possible third filter for increased surface turbulation... smaller... could put it on that, I suppose. Thoughts?
Greggz likes this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode