60" 120 high tech community planted tank journal - Page 13 - The Planted Tank Forum
 246Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
In the first pic the newer growth looks much happier than the old growth.

I would let it go a bit longer, then top and replant.

The three heads is usually a sign of some type of stress. It will abandon the old head and generate new ones.
Good news is if things are improving those will grow out and you will have more plants.
Okay, thanks Gregg. Thatís interesting because the plants pictured are in different parts of the tank. The single one with three heads is in a darker section with different colored bulbs.

I realized this AM that while I was away hubby only gave macros. He missed the micros entirely. Is there really any reason why I canít add some micros today, even if I dosed macros this AM?
Greggz likes this.

Tanks a bunch!

My current 120 tank journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks! View Post
Okay, thanks Gregg. Thatís interesting because the plants pictured are in different parts of the tank. The single one with three heads is in a darker section with different colored bulbs.

I realized this AM that while I was away hubby only gave macros. He missed the micros entirely. Is there really any reason why I canít add some micros today, even if I dosed macros this AM?
Different parts of the tank can produce different results. I've seen the same plant do very well in one spot, and poorly in another. There is an art to finding out where plants do best. Pantanal is a light hungry plant, and more is better.

As to micros, no issue at all dosing them with macros. My macros are dosed once weekly up front and micros daily.
Tanks! and burr740 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---
post #183 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Today was finally driftwood day! (I know we’re all about the plants here... but, honest, it IS about the plants!)
The Buce has to have some place to be, right? I had a great time putting the Hades Buce in about 5 segments onto the wood. It’s a great piece because it basically stand upright with “legs” that keep it off the tank floor. The fish are loving swimming under and around it.

I moved two of my Blyxa Japonica, which seem very happy where they were, over to be a contrast plant to the anubias and Rubins and driftwood colors. I also propagated two of the Nymphoides... one is hiding behind the driftwood... should make a beautiful background to it... and the other is in the far corner, balancing its parent plant, for now. My Rubins are growing and healthy, but not the vibrant red that they were when they came from Burr. Not sure why.... time and experience will tell.

My fish are definitely loving the plants and driftwood. I think they feel less exposed. Oh, and I put 4 of the Cory cats into the big tank, and stuck the old driftwood down into the QT with the remaining 2 corys. Those corys will stay there to keep my biological filter going so that if I have incidents in the future, the filter will be ready. AND I’m expecting 7 young rainbows to occupy that tank for the next few weeks as well, once they arrive... maybe tomorrow.

Picture of the tank for my own reference (it’s a tank only a mother can love right now!).

Greggz, burr740, Immortal1 and 1 others like this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia

Last edited by Tanks!; 07-28-2020 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Punctuation error

post #184 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 08:46 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Today was finally driftwood day! (I know we’re all about the plants here... but, honest, it IS about the plants! The Buce has to have some place to be, right? I had a great time putting the Hades Buce in about 5 segments onto the wood. It’s a great piece because it basically stand upright with “legs” that keep it off the tank floor. The fish are loving swimming under and around it.

I moved two of my Blyxa Japonica, which seem very happy where they were, over to be a contrast plant to the anubias and Rubins and driftwood colors. I also propagated two of the Nymphoides... one is hiding behind the driftwood... should make a beautiful background to it... and the other is in the far corner, balancing its parent plant, for now. My Rubins are growing and healthy, but not the vibrant red that they were when they came from Burr. Not sure why.... time and experience will tell.

My fish are definitely loving the plants and driftwood. I think they feel less exposed. Oh, and I put 4 of the Cory cats into the big tank, and stuck the old driftwood down into the QT with the remaining 2 corys. Those corys will stay there to keep my biological filter going so that if I have incidents in the future, the filter will be ready. AND I’m expecting 7 young rainbows to occupy that tank for the next few weeks as well, once they arrive... maybe tomorrow.

Picture of the tank for my own reference (it’s a tank only a mother can love right now!).

We all start some place. Many may not remember the pic below but it was the first planted tank pic I ever posted.
My guess is, at some point you will go back to the above pic and make a reference as to how far your tank has progressed :-)

Funny fact - the middle and far right drift wood pieces are still in the tank today. Granted, the middle one has worn down a lot and the far right one is covered in plants.

Look forward to see how for your tank progresses
hbosman, Greggz, Tanks! and 1 others like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Last edited by Immortal1; 07-28-2020 at 08:52 PM. Reason: <?>
post #185 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the encouragement, Linn! I actually love my tank... just not something that others will necessarily think much of... which is fine with me.

On a sad note, I think I see ich coming on a few of my older rainbows. They have been through a lot, so itís not too puzzling. Probably stress. @Immortal1: How can I treat a planted tank? No clue! With these plants, can I raise the temp to 86* for a few days?

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #186 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 09:58 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement, Linn! I actually love my tank... just not something that others will necessarily think much of... which is fine with me.

On a sad note, I think I see ich coming on a few of my older rainbows. They have been through a lot, so it’s not too puzzling. Probably stress. @Immortal1: How can I treat a planted tank? No clue! With these plants, can I raise the temp to 86* for a few days?
REALLY hate to say this... but, I have no idea on ich. Never had it in my tank (now that I actually said it, I will have it tomorrow).
I would "think" that the normal ich treatment would work equally as well in a planted tank vs any other aquarium.
From what I read, ich has a life cycle and raising the temp shortens that cycle. Can't image a few days at 86 degrees is gonna kill off all the plants - pretty sure they are tougher than that.
Tanks! likes this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #187 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
I would "think" that the normal ich treatment would work equally as well in a planted tank vs any other aquarium. From what I read, ich has a life cycle and raising the temp shortens that cycle. Can't image a few days at 86 degrees is gonna kill off all the plants - pretty sure they are tougher than that.
Raising the temp as I type. SIGH!

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #188 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

@Immortal1 those are great before and after pics above!

@Tanks! you need to treat the ich quickly. I would raise the temp, and also medicate. If you don't get it under control it can wipe out a lot of fish.

If caught early enough, Seachem Paraguard is usually effective. If it doesn't improve in a few days, Kordon Rid Ich Plus is a stronger medication.

Good luck and hopefully it's a mild case.
Immortal1 likes this.

---
---
post #189 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
@Tanks! you need to treat the ich quickly. I would raise the temp, and also medicate. If you don't get it under control it can wipe out a lot of fish.

If caught early enough, Seachem Paraguard is usually effective. If it doesn't improve in a few days, Kordon Rid Ich Plus is a stronger medication.

Good luck and hopefully it's a mild case.
@Greggz: Right. Iíll find some, hopefully at PetSmart. Iam assuming that these are OK in a planted tank...?
Greggz likes this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #190 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
@Greggz: Right. Iíll find some, hopefully at PetSmart. Iam assuming that these are OK in a planted tank...?
Yep, they are fine. If caught early enough can clear up pretty quickly.

I didn't have ich for about 15 years, then had an outbreak last year. I let my guard down, and it taught me to have medication on hand just in case.

I only raised my temp to about 82*, just to speed the process. I would not run the tank at 86* or higher for any extended period of time, as the plants will likely suffer.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Tanks! likes this.

---
---
post #191 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, I had to order the Seachem, and Iím not going to use the Kordon because it will kill my snails. Meanwhile, temperatures are rising.

Iíve read that I do and also do not have to stop injecting CO2 into the tank after raising temps. Concern is a lack of O2. Thoughts, anyone?
Greggz likes this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #192 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Greggz: did you stop or lessen CO2 during ich treatment?

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #193 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 11:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
@Greggz: did you stop or lessen CO2 during ich treatment?
Nope ran CO2 like usual. It has no effect on the medication.

Do be sure to have decent surface agitation to provide for good oxygen levels.
Tanks! likes this.

---
---
post #194 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So, weíre part way through Day 3 of elevated temps: currently running at 84* under the lights.

The only plants that I see at all distressed are the Lobelia Cardinalis small form (some algae growing on it) and on my Hades Buce... Iíve got some leaves with what looks like black tufts.. is it fungus?

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #195 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@burr740: plants got here in great shape, as always. THANKS for the extras—especially the corkscrew Val. It looks amazing as a contrast. I hope it likes it in my tank, cause I sure want it there! I planted ALL of the buce, and am loving my driftwood.

I find it’s really hard to get good pics of my tank. I think it’s because my array is open and high above the tank. Maybe I’ll contrive a cardboard screen for picture taking?

Anyways: best I can do. Still no real rhyme or reason to where the plants are. I need to see which of them like it here before I attempt a ‘scape.

Close up of the Buce on my driftwood...

As to the ich, it is still there... less on some fish, same on others. I’m glad that the 7 new fish I am awaiting by overnight UPS today will go into the quarantine tank anyways. I might just treat it, too, since the plants that are in it came out of the main tank right before I spotted the ich. My Seachem medication should arrive tomorrow, and the I’m going to begin to take the temps back down.
Greggz, burr740 and Immortal1 like this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode