60" 120 high tech community planted tank journal - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum
 246Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
So, last night at 9:30 PM when I went to bed after lights off, and CO2 off, my pH was reading 6.8. The morning I awoke at 6 am and read the meter around 6:30 to be 7.8. Isnít that a big swing, or is that okay? Will O at night steady that swing?

So, @Greggz, are you saying that itís economizing to not run CO2 at nights, or itís not safe? I would think that we donít want the big swings, so running a little CO2 at night (safely) would be to the good?

(Thanks for bearing with my, guys. The light bulb will come on soon, Iím sure...)
Greggz likes this.

Tanks a bunch!

My current 120 tank journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks! View Post
So, last night at 9:30 PM when I went to bed after lights off, and CO2 off, my pH was reading 6.8. The morning I awoke at 6 am and read the meter around 6:30 to be 7.8. Isnít that a big swing, or is that okay? Will O at night steady that swing?

So, @Greggz, are you saying that itís economizing to not run CO2 at nights, or itís not safe? I would think that we donít want the big swings, so running a little CO2 at night (safely) would be to the good?

(Thanks for bearing with my, guys. The light bulb will come on soon, Iím sure...)
Your pH is higher in the morning from off gassing, and those numbers are fine.

The vast majority of folks with planted tanks do not run CO2 at night. Would not hurt anything, but does not help anything either. Just no reason to as plants are not using CO2 at night.

As to pH swings, no reason to worry. Pretty much every planted tanker I know does the same thing. A pH swing from CO2 injection then off gassing does not harm livestock.

Personally I run heavy aeration for an hour right after the lighting period to off gas quickly. Makes it nice and comfortable for the Bows over night.
Tanks! and Immortal1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---
post #153 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okay... so. Here are my new plants... some of them.

I was happy to see the Colorata was coloring, and thought the Ludwiga Atlantis looked good because it, too, was coloring orange... but now it MIGHT be losing leaves? @burr740, if you see this, can you tell me if they look okay to you? I’ve got some pretty strong lights going... going to measure PAR today, but figured too much, rather than too little. I’ve (probably overdone on the first day) Micros, then yesterday, Macros, 1/2 EI dosage on GLA pkg. Haven’t dosed today. My pH did go up to 7.9 before CO2 kicked back on...? Comments invited!

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia

post #154 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 06:33 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
I would be patient for now. A lot of times new plants will drop leaves or stunt for a minute while they recover from shipping, it also happens sometimes when they have to adjust to new parameters. I dont see anything particularly wrong with those in the pic fwiw. After a few days/week you'll know more about it
Greggz and Tanks! like this.

post #155 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
I would be patient for now. A lot of times new plants will drop leaves or stunt for a minute while they recover from shipping, it also happens sometimes when they have to adjust to new parameters. I dont see anything particularly wrong with those in the pic fwiw. After a few days/week you'll know more about it
Iím very happy to be patient. Just want to do all I can to ensure success, and donít know what I donít know. THANKS for checking in.
Greggz and burr740 like this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #156 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Your pH is higher in the morning from off gassing, and those numbers are fine.

The vast majority of folks with planted tanks do not run CO2 at night. Would not hurt anything, but does not help anything either. Just no reason to as plants are not using CO2 at night.

As to pH swings, no reason to worry. Pretty much every planted tanker I know does the same thing. A pH swing from CO2 injection then off gassing does not harm livestock.

Personally I run heavy aeration for an hour right after the lighting period to off gas quickly. Makes it nice and comfortable for the Bows over night.
Alrighty. Iíll stop fighting the hypo and bow to the collective wisdom. ;-) I do understand what youíre saying. Thanks.

Bump: In other news, I got up this morning and put in a bunch of Quick Start that Iíd just bought ďjust in case.Ē Then about a half hour later I took ammonia readings: it was ZERO ammonia. WOOT. So happy to NOT do a water change. Then, at 2:00 I did another test. Looks like less than .25... yellow with barely a shade of green, so I guess all the happy little bacteria are doing their jobs.

Bump: In other news, I got up this morning and put in a bunch of Quick Start that Iíd just bought ďjust in case.Ē Then about a half hour later I took ammonia readings: it was ZERO ammonia. WOOT. So happy to NOT do a water change. Then, at 2:00 I did another test. Looks like less than .25... yellow with barely a shade of green, so I guess all the happy little bacteria are doing their jobs.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #157 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 08:14 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks! View Post
Alrighty. Iíll stop fighting the hypo and bow to the collective wisdom. ;-) I do understand what youíre saying. Thanks.

Good to hear you got the bacteria started. They will grow - as long as they have food :-)
Small chuckle if you are up for the read - did a little experiment a few years back. At one point I was adding 70ppm ammonia to a small aquarium and within 24 hours the bacteria consumed it all - 0.00ppm ammonia.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...eachem-39.html

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #158 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Good to hear you got the bacteria started. They will grow - as long as they have food :-)
Small chuckle if you are up for the read - did a little experiment a few years back. At one point I was adding 70ppm ammonia to a small aquarium and within 24 hours the bacteria consumed it all - 0.00ppm ammonia.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...eachem-39.html
Yeah, the odd thing is I have two mature filters (saved from my old system) running. I guess now Iíve seeded all that sand with bacteria and theyíve gone to work. GTK.

Iíve got company coming tonight, but Iíll give it a read for sure, thanks!

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #159 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Immortal1 That was a pretty interesting experiment! GTK for QT tanks for sure.

Hubby Scott helped me to rehang our light fixture last night Using the floating hybrid hanger. Big shout out to AL. Itís beautifully engineered, directions were very clear, and it enables me to lift the fixture easily to work on the tank. Plus, it looks great. Two thumbs up!

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/float...caAj1FEALw_wcB

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #160 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 01:53 PM
Captain

Was pretty interesting to see how much various bio media could handle.

That floating hanger looks pretty nice!

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #161 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Itís really nice. And I can lift the fixture with one hand.

I got plants from Joe today. They are NICE!!!

AND: my favorite: a LARGE clump of Buce: Hades. Just gorgeous. Thanks @burr740!

zivvel and burr740 like this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #162 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 12:12 AM
Captain

Joe has a pretty fantastic assortment of plants and generally speaking, in pristine condition!
Looking good so far Tanks
Tanks!, burr740 and Econde like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #163 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey, all...

So, I’m trying to figure out my tank with the new plants.

I have not been able to make the PAR meter work for me, so I’m guessing. Here is what I know. The tank is 26” tall, and the lights are about 4 inches off the surface.

I am running a hybrid: 2 T5 HOs fixtures cover the front and back, EACH with 2 90 watt, 60” T5 HOs, so 4 T5’s. Then, and then in the center of the tank (front to back) on the right and left, I have 2 AI 16 Freshwater spotlights (they have quite a bit of coverage, according to PAR readings that were taken in a video I watched online). Below is a picture with just them on to give you an idea.

I have total control over these lights from my iPhone. So, I can dim them, make them very bright, and set a custom light pattern at any point i the day.

This is an example of the current settings, for instance:

Currently, I use them on very low i the mornings (as with @Greggz viewing lights), and then they get more and more intense as the day goes on. Evenings, they look like the picture for an hour or more before the tank goes totally dark.

By midday, my tank is really very bright, at least to my eyes (but I don’t know PAR).

Obviously, in the dead center of the tank, there is less light. This is intentional because I do love anubias nana and buce on my driftwood there eventually, so I’m wanting a “lower light district.” The high light plants that I’ve bought are planted where they’ll get the most of the light I have.

SO: my question is this. I have been dosing about half of what is called for with EI, and I have been doing water tests to assure myself that parameters are okay: ammonia is zero and NO3 is between 10 and 20. Temp is 77*, and pH swings between 6.8 during CO2 and 7.8 offgassed in the AM. The fish seem happy, but the plants are not thriving. I would say that, if anything, they are losing ground.

What would “typical” (I know every tank is different) photoperiods be for these higher light plants... how many hours under what kind of wattage. Greggz might be closest to what I’ve got... I’m not sure. If you all could just tell me how long you have whatever light arrays you use on in a given day, I’d sure appreciate it.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #164 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 01:45 AM
Captain

Gut instinct - may not be enough "food" for the plants for the given mount of light. But, you don't have a lot of plant mass yet so my best guess would be less overall light until you get more plant mass.
I have ALOT more plants and I am current running 80-90 PAR for 8 hours.
I will say it takes a bit of time to figure out how much food is needed for the mount of light you are providing.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #165 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Immortal1: Thanks for the reply. The Rubin is turning green in its lower half... others just seem weak and wasting away. I’ll try upping the ferts. You think start with 6 hours of full light array? (At least the Buce seems happy...)

Also, relating the CO2... have it come on one hour before high lights, and then how long should it be on on the other end? Go off an hour before lights out?

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode