12g Edge, newbie ish. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By parkinsn83

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
12g Edge, newbie ish.

Hello All, I'll start with an intro and a tank journal.

I've been keeping fish for 20 years or so now. I've kept everything between community, cichlids, to salt water from 10 gallon to 200+ gallons. I've never had a planted tank before, I'd like to use this tank as a trial to see if I want my new tank to be planted discus, or salt water. New tank is 84"L-36"W-30"H (392 gallon) external overflow, with sump 72"L-24"W-18"H (150 gallon)

I've been lurking and reading for quite some time here and this is what I've come up with.

Equipment;

12 gallon Fluval edge with 42 LED
50w Ebo Jager heater
Fluval 206 canister filter
Fluval co2 88 (possibly, need opinions)
Tunze ATO (because why not)

Livestock combination of, not all listed;

Small group of tetras of some kind.
Guppies (not my choice, happy wife happy life right?)
Frucata rainbows
Galaxy rasbora
Cherry or red crystal shrimp

Flora;

Java Moss Tree
HC Cuba
Anubias nana
dwarf grass
Amazon sword
Need to look at some other taller plants for the background, suggestions welcome.

On to my questions for the experts.

1) Is the 42 LED good enough for the plants listed? In an effort to keep the tank stock looking except the filter which I will drill out the bottom for, I don't really want to mod the canopy. I have a Radion XR30 pro I could use but this will wreck the aesthetics of it.

2) Fluval co2 88, I'd like to run this 24/7. The plan is keep it in the back of the "base stand up cover part" not having the stock filter should make this doable. I'd like to avoid having to turning it off at night with the lights. Put an air stone a timer to come on at night, foreseeable problems with this? Any problems with this unit? I don't really want to piss around with a DIY yeast sugar.

3) I'm thinking I will dry start the Java moss on the tree and Cuba in the substrate under the tree where I want carpeting. What are the advantages and disadvantages of going this route?

Anything else you guys and gals can suggest is greatly appreciated.

Here are a few pics from my phone. Aquascape is subject to change.

Last edited by parkinsn83; 11-09-2016 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nice nano.

i have the fluval 16g? on a 10 gallon. the little co2 tank lasted me a month of 24/7 1 bubbler per second co2. i could tell it working well because the colors of the plants went from dull dark green to neon green. 88g might be overkill for this nano, but whatever works for you.

you dont need to dry star the java moss. i took the stringy java moss and tangled it into the wood. it will look scarce at first, but java moss grows like a monster compare to any other plant out there and fill up the tree really quick before your other plants are done growing in. you might want to set it up where you can take the tree out for a trim because if you trim the moss in the tank, java moss will fly everywhere and will become a weed in your tank.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Algae Grower

88g is perfect. From my experiences with pressurized co2 quality matters. I'm running a paintball setup on my 60g and a 16g co2 on my spec v/ 5.5.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Found a better piece of wood for my tree, rearranged the aquascape to accommodate. Dry started the Cuba and grass, moss ball and java on the tree. Added another 42 LED from another edge I had, looked a little dark at the front. Picked up a co2 88. Just time now I guess to see how it fares.

Is too much water in the bottom going to promote mold or algae? I drained some since the pictures.

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I really like the trees, although instead of the circle of stones, I think you should make a path leading from the front right between the trees. Besides that, looks good so far. Keep it up!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode