First house, first real tank!!!! cough* 180g cough* - The Planted Tank Forum
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
First house, first real tank!!!! cough* 180g cough*

Ok, so I just bought my first house and why not celebrate by spending even more money!!!!!!!

Well the plan was to get a 125g or so because that seemed the most reasonable thing to do for my Black Piranha who grows at an incredibly slow rate so the chances of needing a larger aquarium for 1 fish just seemed a bit dumb. Well thats were craigslist comes into play. I see a Reef Ready 180g Aqueon tank with stand for sale for significantly less than a 125 with stand. I bit the bullet and picked it up. I really didnt want to get a pre-drilled aquarium because i wanted to do a Synergy Reef bean animal ghost overflow and i was going to drill it myself but when i got the tank and stand for just over the cost of that overflow, it was hard to pass up

For specs i will be transfering over most of my existing equipment on my 40B and will be adding more hopefully saturday, even though black friday is coming up, I'm not one for waiting.

40B has
  • Apex Controller
  • Finnex Planted + 24/7
  • Airgas Y12-215D dual stage reg with 10lb co2 tank
  • Jebao DP-4 dosing pump

All these will be going towards the 180 gallon.

My plans so far for it are
  • Reinforce the stand a bit
  • Ecotech Vectra M1 DC return pump
  • Large Sump (suprise, its worth way more than the tank is)
  • Dual Herbie overflow for some safety
  • Hard Plumb the tank
  • Griggs Reactor

So far i have painted the back of the tank black and leaving the back of the overflows clear incase i want to ever peek into them. There is no way this tank did not leak with how the bulkheads were installed. It went (top to bottom) Nut-> glass-> washer -> rubber gasket-> bulkhead. I also have never seen a bulkhead look like these before, they look cheap, felt cheap and had to be drilled out. The guy before i think just blocked them off with plugs and ran canister filters. The bulkheads were covered in a silicon and the water was stagnant and super smelly/gross

I tried to use Cerium Oxide to buff out some scratches but i think i just wasted $50 and about 3 hours of my time tonight. Oh well was worth a shot.

THINGS I NEED HELP WITH:

Substrate: I'm thinking about Black Diamond medium grit. I can was it well and use a little bit of soap to try and get rid of the oil slick that can appear but i doubt i will get one with dual skimmers.
Lighting: I am planning on using my Finnex Planted + 24/7 36" and getting another one. I dont know if this will be enough light on a 6'x2'x2' tank. Im thinking of getting a beamworks 72" and just have it come on for 4 hours a day when the finnex is at its brightest in the 24/7 cycle.
Hardscape: SOOOOOO MUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHH ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM. I think i would like a legit tree stump but not sure what i should do so that should be a really fun part of this.
Plants: i currently have dwarf hair grass, micro swords, Swords, various crypts, a anubius of some sort, a huge amount of wisteria and some jungle vals.

I havent taken that many pictures but I will start once it gets rolling a bit more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Don't use soap to clean up the BDBS. You can skim the water surface with a few paper towels and that will take care of the majority of it. If you have a skimmer it will make short work of it...

Just a noob

post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It is easy enough to patch the hole in the bottom, I did it on my 60... just used a 4" square of 5mm glass siliconed in place.

If it wasn't a framed tank, I would have suggested you do what I do, and just replace the primary viewing window pane of glass.

You can use barkeepers friend to clean up some of the deposits, and rubbing compound to get the last bits off... Forget about using the cerium without a proper buffer.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
Don't use soap to clean up the BDBS. You can skim the water surface with a few paper towels and that will take care of the majority of it. If you have a skimmer it will make short work of it...
I have heard of people putting a little bit of degreaser or dawn dish soap in when you wash it initially, then you just wash the living crap out of it. I figure with ~200lbs of BD sand its going to have a BP oil spill at the top haha. But with 2 overflows i think i prob wont see one get created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
It is easy enough to patch the hole in the bottom, I did it on my 60... just used a 4" square of 5mm glass siliconed in place.

If it wasn't a framed tank, I would have suggested you do what I do, and just replace the primary viewing window pane of glass.

You can use barkeepers friend to clean up some of the deposits, and rubbing compound to get the last bits off... Forget about using the cerium without a proper buffer.
I want the holes, im using a sump because i cant stand canister filters. Im not going to bother replacing the glass, i can live with some scratches and they are hard to see with the water filled up. they are like brillo pad scratches from someone cleaning it. Also i used a actual buffer, i wouldnt even think of attempting to do it by hand.

post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
lol your tank will look like the gulf coast for a while but never use soap or anything around aquariums. surface skimmer will make quick work of it if you don't want to go through the hassle of rinsing it out.
RichE, RichE, DigityDog70 and 1 others like this.

post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Got some toys!

BASHSEA SS 48" sump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vectra m1 pump
2 Jager 200w heaters
Neptune breakout box (for under tank lights and Auto top off)
Aqua Lifter for ATO
Various bulkheads
2 Valves to control flow
Various 1/2 lock line
Filter media bags
Ph Probe calibrations fluids
and some prime haha

I got pieces of wood being cut to reinforce the stand tomorrow and hopefully able to get the stand and tank in place.
RichE and RichE like this.

Last edited by slythy; 11-06-2016 at 01:19 AM. Reason: clean up
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 12:47 AM
Algae Grower

48" sump..bigger than all of my tanks put together xD nice!

post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Went to Menards and got all the fittings i think ill need to plumb the tank. I also beefed up the stand. the stand as it was seemed a bit scary, it worked but a 180 just on half of 1x6's just seemed sketch. the false floor was only held in by some 1/2 wood bracing on the bottom. I ran some 2x6.s at the bottom so it can hold the 50g sump.

Also finally brought the tank into the house where its going to live. my 40g will prob sit to the right of it against that wall.

Hopefully i can get it plumbed here before i leave for work wednesday.

post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 03:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
Nothing wrong with using soap when you're rinsing the substrate, just don't use it inside the tank. Just be certain to give it a good 1 or 2 more rinses and thorough stirs before considering it good and clean and ready for the tank.

post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 03:30 PM
Algae Grower

Nice sump and return pump. Did you pick your lights yet, I've been going back and forward on which LEDS to get for about a month. Might want to consider painting the inside of the stand with kilz 2 latex white primer to protect the wood

Last edited by bleumoon; 11-07-2016 at 05:22 PM. Reason: *kilz 2 latex
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

dang doing it big!!
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by APynckel View Post
Nothing wrong with using soap when you're rinsing the substrate, just don't use it inside the tank. Just be certain to give it a good 1 or 2 more rinses and thorough stirs before considering it good and clean and ready for the tank.
Its not worth the risk when a surface skimmer or in the OP case using a sump will take care of the oil slick in no time. I can tell you that soap goes nowhere near anything to do with my aquariums.

Just a noob

post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleumoon View Post
Nice sump and return pump. Did you pick your lights yet, I've been going back and forward on which LEDS to get for about a month. Might want to consider painting the inside of the stand with kilz 2 latex white primer to protect the wood
I did pick out lights, Im taking the 36 off my 40b, bought another one. and then bought beamworks 72" led to run for a couple hours a day to get a decent sun time.

ALSO UPDATES!

Filled the overflows and blocked the drain with the gate valves. Gonna see if i have a mess to pick up in the morning or not. I think one of the emergency drains may be leaking, luckily i have unions on every drain. Also all my bulkheads are threaded, so everything is easy to take apart. I may do a full fill test tomorrow

My only fear is i leave for 3 days Wed morning
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Last edited by slythy; 11-08-2016 at 01:44 PM. Reason: autocorrect
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Things accomplished today

150lbs of black diamond sand washed and put in tank:
Cut to fit super large piece of driftwood
Tank filled, no leaks that i saw
Vectra pump calibrated and drains matched

What can i use to anchor the driftwood down, it will take months to waterlog that guy.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 01:22 AM

To anchor a large piece of driftwood I used egg crate light diffuser panels and zip tied the wood to these platforms, which I then covered in substrate. A piece that large, you might want to add some heavy rocks on top of the platforms to make up for the increased buoyancy if you choose this method.

Bump: To anchor a large piece of driftwood I used egg crate light diffuser panels and zip tied the wood to these platforms, which I then covered in substrate. A piece that large, you might want to add some heavy rocks on top of the platforms to make up for the increased buoyancy if you choose this method.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode