• 4 Post By jumpzakjump
  • 4 Post By Nlewis
  • 2 Post By jumpzakjump

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
jumpzakjump's 60p journal

Thought I would start collecting my ideas and builds for this tank in an organized journal!

Stand:
I am in the process of building my own stand which is near completion, you can find the build thread here

Latest Update:
Everything is built, just waiting on hinges for the door to arrive. Decided on a honey maple gel stain for the maple plywood, it takes the stain nicely and I will finish with poly.

Filter & Heating:
Building my own canister filter. The cost was slightly less than a ready-made filter around the same size & power, however I didn't decide to make my own to save money..I enjoy DIY projects and I like having things built to my own specs. If I had bought all of the pieces at the same time from the same retailer I would have saved lots of money on shipping, but I'm an impulsive buyer
The outflow of the canister will lead straight into a DIY inline heating compartment that will take a 100W Fluval M heater.

Latest Update:
I have all of the pieces ready to be put together. Just waiting on the heater to arrive so I can size some pieces to be correct.

CO2
Going pressurized. I bought a Victor VTS 253 C regulator on ebay for a decent price. I used CGA320.com for the rest of the regulator pieces. Went with a clippard mouse solenoid and the NABCO NV-55-18 needle valve.

I bought a glass bubble counter, glass inline diffuser and a glass drop checker from CO2Art. They have very good prices and it seems to be good quality. We will see when I set it all up. Has anyone used the supplied 4dkh/indicator mix from them that comes with the drop checker? The reviews say it is really 4dkh but I'm curious if it really is or not..I'll probably just make my own.

Latest Update:
Still pricing out CO2 tanks to see my best options in the area. Most likely going with a 5 or 10# tank..they should last pretty long with only a 17 gal.
The regulator is built but I snapped the plastic ring that holds the tubing onto the bubble counter ): so I ordered a nice brass ring instead.
Also coming up with ideas to secure the tank in my stand so it can't move around/be bumped or tip...any ideas are appreciated!
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

uh huh. work it. love the DIYness in this build. nice stand, very clean. and im interested in seeing how you set up those custom piping and your co2.
jumpzakjump and jumpzakjump like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWRX View Post
uh huh. work it. love the DIYness in this build. nice stand, very clean. and im interested in seeing how you set up those custom piping and your co2.
Thanks! They DIYness is what keeps me interested in hobbies like this. The ability to make things to your own specs and not rely on other manufacturers is great!
Normally it doesn't really save you money in the long run..but the stand was actually completely free because I had left over wood from a different project...so that's huge savings for probably better quality than ADA or some other knock-off stands!

I'll keep this updated as it all comes along

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Filter and Heating:

The heater finally arrived so I was able to size the 1" pvc to what I needed. Here is a dry-fit of the filter-heater setup. Since it's only a dry fit the actual setup will be more compressed.

Here is a closer look at the heating compartment separately. Using a 1/2" uniseal to make a watertight seal so the 'business' end of the heater is accessible. Fits perfectly!

Everything is cemented now, just waiting for it all to dry before leak-testing and more pictures!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks like someone's been watching Joey.

Just a noob

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
Looks like someone's been watching Joey.
You know it!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm jealous, I need his job so I can make money playing with fish tanks all day.

Just a noob

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
I'm jealous, I need his job so I can make money playing with fish tanks all day.
He literally has the best job xD Although editing yourself for hours on end might be weird after a while

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some more updates:

Stand is nearly finished...in the staining process now

The filter is assembled, cemented and siliconed where it was needed. Tested it out..no leaks! The pump I'm using is the EcoPlus 396. I went with this because it can be used inline which means I didn't have to figure out how to get it into the canister :P. It works great and the filter works great..very pleased!

Also received my extra CO2 parts from CO2art today. The regulator is finished now and waiting for a CO2 tank.

I got a drop checker and a glass inline co2 diffuser from them as well. Both very well made, but the drop checker fell and cracked within minutes of me having it :/ Entirely my fault, nothing to do with the quality of the glass. So I'll have to pick up another one. Also they supplied a 4dkh/indicator pre-mixed solution..is this reliable? I assume they know what they're doing, just wondering if I should make my own instead.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 04:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
I love that you made your own filter, much smarter idea!

Yes, I love Joey! he's so resourceful

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
I love that you made your own filter, much smarter idea!

Yes, I love Joey! he's so resourceful
thanks! I love diy stuff like that, I fit it in anywhere I can. I ran another leak test today and all seems to be holding very well..the stand stayed dry and the filter works very well. I am extremely pleased with it! I still felt the need to waterproof the inside of my stand though

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode