40 Long planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
40 Long planted

This is a thread for the progress of my new 40 gallon soon to be planted tank.
It's a 40 long which is 48x12x16. A very uncommon sized tank. I know, it took a lot of looking to be able to find one. Finally my regular LFS was able to order one for me. I really wanted an Aqueon tank, but they were not available at all. The only other company that I was able to get one in a 40L was Marineland.

I've had a 55 setup before this since April 2015 and after me and my wife moved to our own place, I decided to go a different route instead of going with the 55. The cheapest and most cost effective choice for me in the long run was a 40L rather than a 40B, since it shares the same footprint as a 55.

I'm taking a bit of time setting up with this tank because I'm still not sure what I want to do for filtration and substrate, but here's a few pics of what I got so far. I'm thinking about pool filter sand possibly and using the Aquaclear 70 filters that I already have.

Plan on using the Finnex 24/7 that I already had

Playing around with the hardscape

One of the last shots of my 55 before I tore it down

I will definitely miss my 55 gallon, but for now, I still have it tucked away maybe for a rainy day. I debated selling it. I definitely will not miss trying to reach into the tank however to clean it and do water changes and such. Now it will be a lot easier!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 08:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I like 40 longs. I've had a couple and their shorter cousin, the 33L. I really like Marineland for their black silicon. I think it looks sharp and I have a few older Perfecto and AGA tanks where the clear silicon gets algae behind it along the edges and looks gross. I think the black will look sharp for decades.

Nice tank!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks! Yeah now more that I think of it, I do like the look of the black silicone way better!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks like a great start. I don't think I've ever seen a 40-L before. The AC 70 filters should be more than enough for it. I'll look forward to watching this develop.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 04:52 PM
Algae Grower

Arrow

I myself have a 40B but i really like the look of a longer tank, Good luck and I can't wait to see how this turns out.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Looks like a great start. I don't think I've ever seen a 40-L before. The AC 70 filters should be more than enough for it. I'll look forward to watching this develop.
Yeah like I said, they're very uncommon sized tanks to come by. Most noticeably because my LFS told me for around the same price you can generally get a 55 and most people who come into LFS just do fish, they aren't concerned with aquascaping or planting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmetman26 View Post
I myself have a 40B but i really like the look of a longer tank, Good luck and I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Yeah IMO a longer tank is much better. I like watching the fish swim from side to side.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 06:06 PM
Algae Grower

this is true
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also love long tanks, would I ever replace my 110G it would be with a long and not so high tank as well.
Looking forward for future updates!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, unfortunately I've had a rather big setback... I have to take back the tank. There is a small but noticeable chip on the inside silicone.

The owner at my LFS is really reasonable though and very cool so I'm sure he will understand. Hopefully they can send it back and just order me another one!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Well, unfortunately I've had a rather big setback... I have to take back the tank. There is a small but noticeable chip on the inside silicone.

The owner at my LFS is really reasonable though and very cool so I'm sure he will understand. Hopefully they can send it back and just order me another one!
Well, phooey.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, I took the tank down today so the guy who runs the LFS could take a look at it. Upon further inspection, he said it was nothing but an air pocket and no cause for concern. Phew. He's been dealing with the Marineland tanks for years and he said he has seen this happen before and rarely ever has an issue with tanks from them. I was a bit reassured as well when he actually stuck his finger in it and the spot moved.

So... onward to planning now! I'm debating about whether I should use Eco Complete, Flourite or Pool filter sand and what to do about the background. I will more than likely just spray paint the background black as I have done in the past before, but noticing my white wall in the background, I'm somewhat tempted to try using one of those frosted window cling things you can get at the hardware store.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like this tank size. Your 24/7 gives you a lot of options at 16". My vote is flourite then pfs then Eco. I have never used Eco, but I have used floramax which it very similar. It's so light it's almost impossible to plant in.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah I was definitely thinking it would be so much easier to light compared to my old 55. I loved Flourite when I used to use it, but then had nothing but algae problems. Soon as I switched out the Flourite for plain gravel, the algae problems went away.

I've used both Eco and Floramax in the past before and their the exact same thing. Only difference is Floramax is more dirty and is cheaper in price.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode