110G Hi-Tech *Untitled* | Project updated 16-10-20 | - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
110G Hi-Tech *Untitled* | Project updated 16-10-20 |

Hello everyone will update as I go bye. Time to make a mess

Aftica, Aftica, Econde and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Fissure; 10-20-2016 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Title change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Will be using a earthy rustbrown rock, not sure what it's called something dragon I think.

First attempt, pretty nice cave to the right

Cave

Changed the cave area a bit and the formation to the left, looked to artificial

Some roots in place, will be stacking as much as I can in that area to preserve plant area. Will probably stick with a single big formation there and not clutter up more. Moss wall got some roots attached as well so think it should come out nicely.
There will be some changes to heights etc as some of the roots will be buried down in the substrate a bit. The areas left and right will be raised a bit, hopefully I can make the substrate stay with the help of some plastic border thingy used to keep grass in its place for the garden. Found a nice cut to size roll.

Time to start planning the exact plant locations!
Opare, Opare, BettaBettas and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

looks like a good size project. a lot of plants to work with. enjoy your creative process.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice use of the couch! LOL

The branches have a nice twisting pattern but it still looks too much.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I finished the scape two days ago now. Planned to do a water change yesterday and take some pics and update. Unfortunately I graced one of the roots when doing so and the entire wood formation decided to go buoyant (even though it has been soaking for a month or so. Had a total hell getting it into place again in the same way with fish and water in the tank. Also had to replant around 50% of the plants and top up with some more aquasoil around the roots. Placed some more plastic border things to keep the substrate elevations intact. Worked out allright in the end but almost had a mental breakdown there for a while. Having a fever and it was the last thing I wanted to spend 4 hours on :P Weighing down the two wood pieces that are making a fuss with a stone until they surrender.

The moss wall is starting to come in really well. Just some more barren areas that I will fill up during the weekly water changes. Also added some Pilo Moss in some areas, hoping they will grow and survive on the wall.
Having a really good circulation now with two spray bars angled towards the left and right bow of the tank. Only thing I am not happy with is that the bars are pretty visible. Green ones like the standard eheim stuff would probably work better there perhaps? Also liking my new floating plants but floating plants and a skimmer is a total pain.

Here are the pics, water a bit hazy still from the mess yesterday.

After finally getting the hardscape down

All plants in the tank

Overview from today

Some from left and right front

And one from the side

So now starts the grow in period and I am guessing a mini cycle as well for the substrate (filter is cycled) Will continue to add moss and rhizome plants wood and rocks as time goes by. Not much more space for any more plants, time will tell I guess.
Really hoping the Black Ball will survive (arrived in a pretty bad state) same goes for the rest of the Eriocaulo variants.

Here is the plant list if anyone wants to know. (Some plants on the moss wall are not on this list)

Hygrophila pinnatifida
Eleocharis sp. "montevidensis" - Giant hairgrass
Eleocharis vivipara - Tall hairgrass
Microsorum pteropus "Taiwan Narrow" - Taiwan Java Fern
Microsorum pteropus 'Trident' - Trident Java fern
Microsorum pteropus 'WindelÝv' - WindelÝv Java fern
Microsorum pteropus "Green Gnome"
Hygrophila corymbosa "Kompakt" - Compact Hygrophila
Microsorum pteropus 'Petit' - Petit Java fern
Cryptocoryne albida 'Brown' - White Water Trumpet, brown variant
Eriocaulon breviscapum
Eriocaulon sp. "Black Ball"
Eriocaulon sp.
Eleocharis sp. 'Mini' - Mini hairgrass
Salvinia auriculata - Floating fern
Pilotrichaceae sp. - "Pilo moss"
Monosolenium tenerum - Pellia
Leptodictyum riparium - Streamside Leptodictyum moss
Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping Moss' - Weeping moss
Hemianthus callitrichoides "Cuba" - Dwarf baby tears
Marsilea crenata - Dwarf Four Leaf Clover
Pogostemon helferi - Downoi
Mayaca fluviatilis - in Vitro XL

Taking suggestions for a project name, can't think of anything good :/

Thanks for reading !

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 05:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Really love how you pulled off the moss wall with branches coming out of it! Scape is sweet, was worth the effort I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 06:27 PM
Algae Grower

This is going to look incredible once it grows in. Are you going to add a school of larger fish or anything with the cardinals or just leave it as is for fish?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Very, very nice. Obviously this isn't your first rodeo.

That is a very ambitious start to a tank. Looks like most tanks after they have filled in.

Nice artistic presentation, I really like the style you have created there.

Keep posting, looking forward to seeing how this develops.

------------------
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, trying to go for something junglish/foresty. Not that many "advanced" plants but lately grown fond of darker intensly green plants. Not sure what to do with the livestock in the tank. There should be around 40 tetras they go in a nice school when the lights just turns on but after an hour they say screw that and there is tetras at random everywhere in the tank. Might go for some even smaller schooling fish. My chiclid pair will be returned to the LSF as they are breeding constantly and harrasing everything in the tank all the time and the male is rather fond of tearing at smaller leaved plants. Other than that there is just a bunch of corys and some other random fish. Just kind of a mess in the fish department currently.

Only thing planned is the addition of 50 new amano shrimp. Had an accident when I rescaped, the airhose for the bucket with all the shrimp in them came lose and after some hours about half of my 70 amanos were dead. Should have checked it more often. Luckily the airhose stayed in the other fish buckets.
Will also toss in 10 Neocaridina davidi var. Green Jade as they go well with the green theme, hopefully they will breed and selfstock? No shrimp expert but I don't think they need saltwater after the egg stage like the amanos? The amanos sure are trying but odds are against them :P

Will have to spend some time finetuning the CO2 again as well as the Aquasoil lowered the KH/PH a bit more than I have been used to.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 04:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

110G Hi-Tech *Untitled* | Project updated 16-10-15 |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fissure View Post
Will also toss in 10 Neocaridina davidi var. Green Jade as they go well with the green theme, hopefully they will breed and selfstock? No shrimp expert but I don't think they need saltwater after the egg stage like the amanos? The amanos sure are trying but odds are against them :P
Yup, the Green Jade shrimp breed in freshwater conditions. Pretty much a green version of Red Cherry shrimp. You may want to get a larger starting population because the tank is quite a big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah you are right, should have ordered more. But they were out of stock and they were pretty expensive. Will probably have to make a new order later on, they will have to do for the time being
Tank water has been clearing up nicely now, still some white tone to the water but some sort of bacteria-bloom was expected anyways. Some of the carpeting plants have came loose as usual so will do a 50% WC tomorrow and replant those again.
Also had to turn down the PH controller quite a bit, currently at PH 5.9 were it previously have been around 6.4 for a limegreen color on the drop checker. Aquasoil really seems to pull down the KH quite a bit
Opare and Opare like this.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 04:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Green jade shrimp are a rather unstable line from what people in my local fish club have told me. They will revert to wild coloration without aggressive culling

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just a small little update today. Things are coming along nicely, water has not cleared up as much as I had hoped yet but will just let the tank settle in I guess.
Mainly been removing some dead/damaged plant matter from the planting process.

Looking at pictures is more fun then reading so here we go.

Hygrophila pinnatifida is already sending out runners, really good looking plant in my opinion!

Eleocharis sp. "montevidensis", always had issues with this plant. Never managed to grow them and have no idea why. The two back groups are doing fine as of now but the one to the left is turning brown and dying and the second one from the left are 50%/50 dead now. No idea why...

Monosolenium tenerum, arrived in a "not so good" state from the online store I bought it from. Are turning whiteish and moldy, hopefully they will pull through but I am suspecting they won't :/

Some larger Pelvicachromis pulcher fry enjoying their setting Cute until they grow up and start spawning :P

Runner close up

Cleanup crew approves this setup

And finally an overview of the tank.

Thanks for reading !

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 06:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking good! Might need a splash of red somewhere.
LRJ, LRJ, Opare and 1 others like this.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 01:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

well I must say that I'm still amazed by your projects.
and the rescape turned out great, hopefully it will grow into a thick jungle.

also liked your led build, it has given me a set of proper lights to run my tank
I even might build a mosswall myself on my small tank just to give it a try

beautiful cat by the way, you have/had 2 right?

keep up the good work, I'll be following the progress on this tank

I might be dutch but I don't have a dutch scape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode