40b lazy tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
40b lazy tank

So after a 4 year stint out of the hobby I'm back with one of my dream tanks, the 40b. I always liked the natural approach with tank keeping letting nature do the work for me. With that being said, I found a piece of apple tree I liked the looks of that had been pruned and on the ground for a couple months and let it soak in a vinegar solution for a while. I got most of the fungi and lichen off and called it good, leaving it to soak for a while longer.

I dirted my tank with some organic potting mix Potting Soil Mix by Espoma Organic | Espoma, capped that with caribsea eco complete, then put some playsand on top of that since I plan on having corys in the future. Threw in my wood and then put in some volcanic rock I foraged and boiled. Right now I've got a few needle leaf java, crypt undulata, and Christmas tree moss for plant matter.

So here is my issue... I put in 4 MTS and 4 ghost shrimp hoping they would eat the bark and lichen off my wood to speed up the process. I left them with some sliced cucumber and went to bed. This morning all the MTS were dead or near dead and I count 3 shrimp. I removed the snails to a Mason jar with my well water and decided to do big water changes in the tank. The 3 shrimp seem fairly active now running around and I fed them some flakes they picked at a little. Is the wood poisoning the water? Could it be sap or the lichens? Water params look pretty normal as the cycle is just starting.

Pictures of tank and shrimp included. Maybe a little opaque-ness at the shrimps' core?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode