ADA 60P Setup Journal - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post ADA 60P Setup Journal

Welcome to my Journal of my ADA 60P Setup!

This journal will be chronicling my jungle style ADA 60P. I will try and upload everything I do and show people what i have done and what I learnt from this setup! My aim is to make my journal detailed so that others can get help from it if needed. This is going to be a fun journey!

Here is a link to my old setup of Iwagumi Style aquarium, it was a nice setup and plants are growing very nice! Had a beautiful HC carpet. But i got bored of it so I was thinking of changing it to a different style.

ADA 60P Iwagumi Style
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...-aquarium.html

Inspiration
Here are some of my inspiration i got from Youtubers, Form and the Father of AquaScaping Takashi Amano:

(Youtuber)

(ADA 60P)

(Takashi Amano)

Driftwood
I love how the driftwood is above the tank, that would open opportunity for my to explore submersed and emerged plants. At the same time it gives it a more natural look to the overall composition. I went to my local fish store and spent hours playing around with the different type of driftwood and was trying to figure out what size and what type of diftwood would be suitable for my 60P. it was quite hard because i dont really have my tank there for me to play around with it in my tank. In the end i picked up 2 pieces of GOLD VINE Medium driftwood. Its very common i guess, its found in Mongolia and have a paper smooth texture to it. It is extremely low in any tanning. The Gold Vine is very light so it will require 7-10 days to become water-logged and sink.

So here i have been playing around with the layout(its actually 2 pieces of driftwood)

(Layout1)-Side by side

(Layout2)-Stacked

I liked layout 2 more than layout 1 because it creates a better overall composition as it fills up more spaces at the same time providing a good amount of negative spaces and more balanced as a whole. I feel like that layout 1 is alittle too safe which is what i learnt from my first Iwagumi Style. For this layout I really want to explore and be more creative and go crazy. The vertical piece on the left is very dominating so I decided to cut it down shorter.

(Layout2 After cutting)

So here is the layout after cutting and I also put in my lily pipes and light to see what it will look like overall. I am quite happy with it, but that verticle driftwood is still not perfect yet, it still require some work. I started to attach pieces of driftwood that i cut out inorder for the driftwood to fit in the tank. I started to fill in that Top-left area which was quite awkward. So after alot of gluing and playing around with it I end up having this.

(Layout2)-Stacked, After attaching pieces.

At this moment I left the driftwood sitting in my tank for about 2 weeks and I was quite happy with it without any changed.

Light

MaxSpect Razer 120W 8000K

So for the light I was still going to use my MaxSpect Razer 120W 8000K. I have been using it for about 1 year now. I must say it is an amazing piece of hardware! You can set it to have sunset and sunrise function, and alter the brightness of the LEDs (Red and Blue) which makes it really handy. The only disadvantage is the price and the stand for my case. The light cost me about $600AUD so that quite expensive!! The stand is quite short so you wont be about to have a nice view of the submersed plants once its planted. So i have to resolve that.

DIY Light Stand
I went online and searched for a Aquarium Light stand. It was $150~ online and thats just too much for a couple pieces of steel. So what i did was DIY light stand. This is a ADA style light stand which was really cool!!

(ADA Light stand)

The problem is that getting is steel piece is hard in Australia. Bunnings sells it but that are too thin to bend at 90 angle like that and I did ask my local metal-smith and they cost about $60~. So what i ending doing is that I walking all around Bunnings insearching for stuff that I can make a cheap stand with. And this is what i found Aluminium Extrusions and bunnings has the whole range of kit for it as well including the 90 angle joints and stuff!!

(Aluminium Extrusions)
Cost me a total of $40 including all the screws and nuts and bolts! I found some brackets from my dads workshop and cut 2 pieces of wood which was be attacked to the back of my Aquarium stand.

So here are photos that i took of making the light stand, its quite simple as the photos shows basically everything.

After all the hardwork and everything! This is what it looks like now. I am really happy with the outcome. The total was $40 and its quite cheap for a light stand like this one. If i was to make a new setup with a bigger tank. I can still use the same light stand i made and just move them further apart.
This is what it looks like after when i attached a frosted film of the back of the tank so you cant see the stand behind it. I found it in my dads workshop. It cost about $20 at bunnings. I also glued the driftwood onto a clear plastic lid so it can stand by itself.

Substrate
Ive used ADA aquasoil in my last setup and I loved it and wish to continue to use it in this design. I got myself:
-ADA AquaSoil Normal
-ADA AquaSoil Power type
-ADA Power Sand Special (S)

ADA AquaSoil power type is good when you want to grow carpet plants that has really small root system like the HC and Mote Carlos which is what i intend to do. ADA Power Sand Speical is better then the normal ADA power Sand because it also contain Bacter 100 and Clear Super which the normal ADA power sand dont have. You can by those 2 desperately but it will cost you about $30 each and you will only use 3-6 spoon of it and i think its a waste of money to buy it hence i got the ADA Power Sand Special (S)

(ADA AquaSoil Range)

Soaking Driftwood
At the moment the driftwood is being dumped in a container filled with water and bricks to weigh it down. I am hoping it will saturate in about 1-2 weeks and hoping most of the tanning will come out of the wood. It will darken over time. I've got Uni exams coming up in about 1 months time, so I wont get time to start planting. But once exams over I will start working on it again. So i will be soaking the driftwood for about 1 months from now.

(Driftwood 1)

(Driftwood 2)

(Soaking)

Hope everything goings fine!
Any questions or comment feel free to shoot me. Thankyou!
Update Shortly!!

ADA Setup

Last edited by chris27c; 10-07-2016 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Editing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 07:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

ADA 60P Setup Journal

Everything looks sweet. for the scape could I suggest tilting the wood a little to the right so the piece isn't jutting out straight but coming up at a diagonal instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chris27c and chris27c like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Everything looks sweet. for the scape could I suggest tilting the wood a little to the right so the piece isn't jutting out straight but coming up at a diagonal instead.

Thats true, I will give it a go after my exams, its soaking at the moment. Thankyou
Opare and Opare like this.

ADA Setup

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Algae Grower

Nice journal! Can't wait to see how the layout turn out to be! ☘️

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
cool seeing someone else with a maxspect. I absolutely love mine!!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lightbulb

UPDATE 1 (Week1)

So its been 1 week. Driftwood is still soaking at the moment. It is slowly releasing the tanning. Changed the water today and something unfortunate happened. The pieces of driftwood that I attached using wood liquid nail glue is coming off. I think glue its not the best option once it comes in contact with water. It was very disappoint. I did some research and realized that only clear silicone and super glue are the only glue that can hold driftwood/woods in general underwater for long period of time without losing its strength. Since the surface of my driftwood is already saturated hence I cant apply any glue on the surface. I went back to the good old screws. I got some stainless steel screws from Bunnings which costed more than the normal steel screws. The reason of getting stainless steel screw is that it will never rust underwater which would make it aquarium safe for fish and plants. Here are some photos of how I drilled and screwed the pieces back together. It took faster than I thought (1hr~). Now that i know the pieces will hold together I gave it a good wash and left it to soak again. Hope its soaks faster this time.

(1Week)

(Pieces are coming off-Glue failed)

(All Done, Screw-attached, All the glue have been remove)

Thankyou!
More Updates Coming soon!

ADA Setup

Last edited by chris27c; 11-13-2016 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Editing
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update 2 (Week2)

Been one week in the water. The water looks very dirty compare to last weeks maybe due to the fact that I moved its location to a more open/exposed space. It is still slowly realizing the tan. Hope it stops soon but I still have about 4 weeks before setting up this new tank. Want to take everything slow and make sure it works out nicely. The nails joints are looking good, nice and strong bond. There is a really thin coat of slim on the driftwood, I was guessing it was due to the exposure to the sun. I cleaned that off with a toothbrush. The driftwood do feel heaver than before, and slightly lighter when the surface is dry which is a good sign of it realizing the tanning colors. Changed the water and dumped it straight back in. Wonder what the water will look like next week. I will start searching for aquarium plants later on with the next updates too! Please do suggest any plants as it will help me out too THANKYOU! Stay with me guys its coming along! Some photos I took:

[/IMG]

Thankyou!
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

ADA Setup

Last edited by chris27c; 11-08-2016 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Link
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lightbulb Update 3 (Week 3)

The tanning is gone, the wood is soaking more and more water. Its becoming heaver for sure and darker in color, which is going well. There is a layer of jelly like stuff over the wood, not sure what it is, i just used a garden hose and sprayed it off the driftwood, maybe it was caused due to high level of light. I have changed the water and gonna see what happens in the next update. I have been looking up for plants and here is a list of it that I have made and collected. Not too sure if they will work well together, anyone who is growing those plants or had grown please advice me.

Microsorum pteropus 'Trident'
Bolbitis heudelotii
Hygrophila difformis
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Blyxa Japonica
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii'
Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' (Eleocharis parvula)
Anubias 'Petite'
Vesicularia dubyana 'Christmas'
Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping'
Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'
Alternanthera reineckii Rosanervig
Rotala rotundifolia
Ludwigia glandulosa

Thankyou!

Last edited by chris27c; 11-08-2016 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Update 3 (Week 3)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 03:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

The film is fungus and is pretty common when you first wet driftwood. It goes away after a while.
Can't say how the plants will look together right now! I can never guess how you will scape them. You have a good variation in plant colour and leaf texture which is all I can really comment on for now.
Also, none of the plants you chose are part of the 'very picky and a bit annoying to grow' group. Even if you chose 'harder' plants if you get the basics down they will grow well too. And seeing the success in your last tank you could do it.
Just a thing to note is that B. japonica can get quite big so in a 60P it may be best as a background plant. Also, having all those epiphytic plants you may smother the hardscape so be careful with that. The footprint of a 60P isn't huge so you may not be able to fit all the species you listed in groups that are actually worthwhile, not just the epiphytes but all of the plants in general. You listed quite a few!
Anyway that's just what I think, you could probably make it work still!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
The film is fungus and is pretty common when you first wet driftwood. It goes away after a while.
Can't say how the plants will look together right now! I can never guess how you will scape them. You have a good variation in plant colour and leaf texture which is all I can really comment on for now.
Also, none of the plants you chose are part of the 'very picky and a bit annoying to grow' group. Even if you chose 'harder' plants if you get the basics down they will grow well too. And seeing the success in your last tank you could do it.
Just a thing to note is that B. japonica can get quite big so in a 60P it may be best as a background plant. Also, having all those epiphytic plants you may smother the hardscape so be careful with that. The footprint of a 60P isn't huge so you may not be able to fit all the species you listed in groups that are actually worthwhile, not just the epiphytes but all of the plants in general. You listed quite a few!
Anyway that's just what I think, you could probably make it work still!

Thankyou Opare, I might just plant the japonica in to take away the amonia for the first couple of weeks/months then i will remove it. I will def cut down the plants abit but i want to fill in as much space aspossible. Cant wait to start making it haha.

ADA Setup
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 07:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

You could just use floaters to help that cycling and adjustment period rather than planting the B. japonica.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
You could just use floaters to help that cycling and adjustment period rather than planting the B. japonica.

Thats true! Thankyou for the help. I will give it a go with floaters, still having a look at my local aquairum stores to find plants.Will finish exam in 2 weeks so I will start making it then. Very excited!

ADA Setup
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 10:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Exciting stuff indeed! Be careful with which floaters you pick though. Make sure their size is appropriate and basically don't pick duckweed, unless you really like the look of it. It can be really hard to get out.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lightbulb Update 4 (Week 5)

Things are going good. The driftwood is slowly turning black/ dark color and the tanning is all gone. I up it in my outdoor pond for 1 week and I might put it back into clean water for one more week before i start planting. I checked all the screws and glue and everything seems to be doing fine. Everything is good to go cant wait. I was thinking of adding few legs to my aquarium stand, waiting for that to come into the mail, probability another week or 2. Any recommendation on any plants on this driftwood/tank?

More Updates coming soon!
Thankyou!
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

ADA Setup
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lightbulb Update 5 (Week 5)

Couldn't wait and started to aqua-scape! Got some ADA Seiryu stones from my local fish store. They were quite expensive $25 /kg!! Got a couple very small ones. The reason for that is because my tank is not that big only 60cm and i want to make the scape looks bigger than it seems, hence smaller stones would enhance that. Started with the bottom piece of driftwood which has a plastic stand at the bottom to increase stability. I hot glued the base of the plastic to the base of the tank this way it will stay in place. Hot glue is Safe for Aquarium. The a thin layer of old Power Sand Special S is the poured around the driftwood, and a brand new layer of Power Sand Special S over the top to make the power sand more fresher. I kept it 5cm away from the rim of the tank to make it tank more neat. ADA Amazonia Soil Normal is then filled around the rim to create a boundary for the power sand. The next piece of driftwood is added above and the base is stacked with ADA Seiryu stones to make it more of a natural look at the same time it acts as a pillar to avoid soil from eroding away from the higher ends. I kinda planed where the plants would go with bamboo sticks. Its look really nice and exactly what I have visioned. Next is how i execute the planting stage. Still looking and playing around with the plant placements. Will start ordering the plants once the furniture legs arrive. Here is my plant list so far, did cut it down from the previous list as some plants wouldn't do well with others.

Plants:
Microsorum pteropus 'Trident'
Bolbitis heudelotii
Hygrophila difformis
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Rotala sp. Green
Staurogyne repens
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii'
Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' (Eleocharis parvula)
Vesicularia dubyana 'Christmas moss'
Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping moss'
Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'
Ludwigia glandulosa- going to be submersed and emerged grown
Rotala sp. "Colorata"

Here are some pictures:

Bottom piece of driftwood

ADA Power Sand Special S

ADA Amazonia AquaSoil Normal

OverAll Layout

Thankyou!
More updates coming very soon!
Opare, Opare, BettaBettas and 1 others like this.

ADA Setup

Tags
ada 60-p, aqua design, aquasoil, driftwood, forestscape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode