First time posting a journal, but figured I would share what I've been working on.
I wanted to try something new, and the idea of a paludarium with a water feature seemed like a good idea. Yeah, one of those impulses you can't shake. So here we go...
Materials bought - no backing out now
Egg crate cut to shape and seeing how it looks on PVC
Didn't take many pictures in this stage, but this is after applying Great Stuff and carving it down to the shape I want. At this point, I started playing around with how the rocks would look on the shelf.
Gloves are a must for this next step. Siliconed everything up, placed the larger rocks and covered the rest in smaller pieces.
Now that the shelf is done, it's time to start putting everything together. Obviously wanted the pond pump in the back corner. I decided to cover this with more large rocks and fill in the gaps with the smaller rocks. This should provide some sort of mechanical filtration and prevent the sand from getting into the pump.
Add sand, more rocks and the plants. Thanks Bartohog.
Hmmm...something was missing. Oh duh, needs more Anubias. Thanks Solcielo lawrencia.
Added the second batch of Anubias and some Salvinia from my main tank. Time to slowly convert the Anubias to emersed.
I'm not done adding to this. I need to figure out what other plants to add to filter the water for any future livestock.