30x30x30cm Cube - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Japan
Posts: 10
30x30x30cm Cube

Greetings all!

I've been in the hobby for some time now, but I stopped several years ago due to academics. I actually had an account on here but I forgot the log-on Fast forward 4 years and now I'm in Japan. I thought where's a better place to start aquascaping again than in Japan? There's a small local pet store just walking distance from base and she stocks mainly ADA products at a cheaper prices than what I'm able to get back in the States. The only down side is we get deployed frequently and I'll have to find someone to provide minimal maintenance while I'm away

Well, lets go on to the equipment;

Tank: Kotobuki 30x30x30cm rimless cube (Didn't have any nano ADA cubes in stock)
Filtration: Ehiem 150
Lighting: ADA Aquasky 30cm
Substrate: AquaSoil Amazonia / ADA Colorado Sand
Driftwood: ADA Branch Wood
Stones: ADA Koke Stones / Yamaya Stones

Livestocks.. I'm leaning towards either a school of Barbs or Neon Tetras. It'd also be cool to house some pea puffers or maybe a shrimp only tank. We'll see lol
As for plants, I'm thinking something low-maintenance like fern and anubis


I was surprise how easy these driftwood were to aquascape with. I literally tossed the 3 pieces into the tank and it actually turned out somewhat alright I'll mess around with the layout some more during the week and update when the rest of the equipment comes in. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Optimized-20161001_171248.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	676729  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Optimized-20161001_170634.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	676737  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Optimized-20161001_170443.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	676745  


Last edited by AquaPT; 10-01-2016 at 10:26 AM. Reason: More info
AquaPT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Japan
Posts: 10
Finally got around to finishing the hardscape. The branch wood is yet to be water-logged but I didn't want to have to soak it over a period of several weeks. So I positioned the branch wood in the desired placement and super glued it to the bottom of the tank. Now I just have to deal with the tannin leaking into the display. But I remembered Seachem Purigen is excellent at polishing out any dye in the water. Now I just have to find where to get some Seachem products in Japan..

I've decided with the limited amount of space I'll stick to a small selection of flora. Eleocharis parvula, Hemianthus callitrichoides, Fissden and some type of Rotala (undecided)
Also ordered 5x Dwarf Puffers they should be in this Friday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Optimized-20161011_165146.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	679865  

Opare and Opare like this.

Last edited by AquaPT; 10-11-2016 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Photo
AquaPT is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 10:41 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 10
I have a tank with similar specs like yours that is pending for setting up. Will subscribe to your thread for more motivation! Cheers mate!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jackychun is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Japan
Posts: 10
Anytime!
AquaPT is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPT View Post
Finally got around to finishing the hardscape. The branch wood is yet to be water-logged but I didn't want to have to soak it over a period of several weeks. So I positioned the branch wood in the desired placement and super glued it to the bottom of the tank. Now I just have to deal with the tannin leaking into the display. But I remembered Seachem Purigen is excellent at polishing out any dye in the water. Now I just have to find where to get some Seachem products in Japan..

I've decided with the limited amount of space I'll stick to a small selection of flora. Eleocharis parvula, Hemianthus callitrichoides, Fissden and some type of Rotala (undecided)
Also ordered 5x Dwarf Puffers they should be in this Friday
looking good. good small size. dwarf puffers are cute. they are picky eaters. i like to give them frozen blood worms. watch out for the dark soil sliding down into your sand. the wood is a good one. ill be keeping an eye out on your tank. holla.
IntotheWRX is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 06:24 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
gtu2004's Avatar
 
PTrader: (37/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,088
Pea puffers are nippy little b*stards. Watch out for them I guess once you put in some plants, and blocks the line of sight a bit, they'll likely be ok in such small space. They are so cute though, and you'll have great fun with them.

Can't wait to see more pix.
gtu2004 is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 01:19 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Opare's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: KL, Malaysia
Posts: 1,926
The Aquasoil is going to leach ammonia so I hope the puffers aren't going straight into the tank. Even if you have an already cycled filter the ammonia leached by the AS is very substantial.
Scape looks awesome though!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Opare is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Japan
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
The Aquasoil is going to leach ammonia so I hope the puffers aren't going straight into the tank. Even if you have an already cycled filter the ammonia leached by the AS is very substantial.
Scape looks awesome though!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't know AS had that problem. I'll keep a look out on parameters. Thanks!
AquaPT is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 09:27 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Opare's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: KL, Malaysia
Posts: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPT View Post
I didn't know AS had that problem. I'll keep a look out on parameters. Thanks!
It's not really a problem more like an added bonus as it allows for your tank to cycle without going through added processes.
You have a cycled filter ready for the fish right? (You shouldn't really be getting fish if you don't). If so, maybe just setup them in a small quarantine setup so the ammonia can get to manageable levels. Otherwise ammonia damage of the fish is a big possibility.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Opare is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Japan
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
It's not really a problem more like an added bonus as it allows for your tank to cycle without going through added processes.
You have a cycled filter ready for the fish right? (You shouldn't really be getting fish if you don't). If so, maybe just setup them in a small quarantine setup so the ammonia can get to manageable levels. Otherwise ammonia damage of the fish is a big possibility.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see what you mean. I was hoping to have finished display by now but I'm constantly on the clock. I'll let the vendor know to hold onto the fish for a bit. Thanks
Opare and Opare like this.
AquaPT is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 11:05 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Opare's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: KL, Malaysia
Posts: 1,926
30x30x30cm Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPT View Post
I see what you mean. I was hoping to have finished display by now but I'm constantly on the clock. I'll let the vendor know to hold onto the fish for a bit. Thanks
No worries. Fish are a finishing touch, focusing on getting the scape growing etc. is more important to get a good display. The patient man/woman always comes out on top.
Plus during early problems when the tank is starting up it is much easier to deal with those things without fish you might harm.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Opare; 10-12-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Opare is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPT View Post
I didn't know AS had that problem. I'll keep a look out on parameters. Thanks!
its ok, your fishes will be fine. i put 3 fishes in my tank the 1st day i put water in with my AS. no cycle, no problems.
IntotheWRX is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 08:26 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Opare's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: KL, Malaysia
Posts: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWRX View Post
its ok, your fishes will be fine. i put 3 fishes in my tank the 1st day i put water in with my AS. no cycle, no problems.
Please do not do this. The ammonia levels released by AS can get really high, and if it doesn't kill them it will permanently damage them. Unless they are zebra danios cus they can regenerate their cells, but I digress, is fish torture really your goal?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Opare is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Please do not do this. The ammonia levels released by AS can get really high, and if it doesn't kill them it will permanently damage them. Unless they are zebra danios cus they can regenerate their cells, but I digress, is fish torture really your goal?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cut me some slack. i didn't know at that time. im a beginner to the hobby. it has happened already and i did not see any damage. just in case our fellow newbie makes the same mistakes as i did, he can learn from my experience that it is ok.
IntotheWRX is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 04:28 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Opare's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: KL, Malaysia
Posts: 1,926
30x30x30cm Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWRX View Post
cut me some slack. i didn't know at that time. im a beginner to the hobby. it has happened already and i did not see any damage. just in case our fellow newbie makes the same mistakes as i did, he can learn from my experience that it is ok.
I wasn't criticising you for doing it, I understand we all make mistakes. I was just saying the OP should take the necessary precautions to avoid this happening at all, and as I see it you were giving him some not-so great advice to ignore cycling. It is totally NOT okay to ignore cycling of tanks. Also not cycling is one thing, but there is also AS which is running in this setup actively releasing NH3.
The damage may have been avoided in your tank (or it is there but you do not notice it), but advising other people to just chuck fish into their tank is just not-on. This causes people to lose fish, and sometimes become fed-up with the hobby. Both of those things we do not want at all.
The OP hasn't got his fish yet so he doesn't have to make this mistake. He can do things properly, like he should.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Opare is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome