Project FYNN: Betta Fish - 30cm Starphire Cube Tank (7GAL) - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thumbs up Project FYNN: Betta Fish - 30cm Starphire Cube Tank (7GAL)

Tank Design:

__________________________________________________ __________

Background Info:

I set up this tank in order to restore a double tail full moon betta's finnage.

I purchased this betta at a discount since the seller stated that the doubletail had completely shortened/frayed his entire tail, about 50%. Luckily the damage was not from fin rot but incurred during transit (from Thailand to Canada).

Breeder's picture:

Seller's picture:

Equipment:
- Lighting: AquaLighter Nano
- Substrate: Fluval Stratum
- Heater: EHEIM Jager 50W
- Filter: ISTA MaxCare External Canister 360L/H

Plants:
- Green cabomba
- Hygrophilia corymbosa
- Pogostemon helferi

Primary Diet:
- Omega One Buffet Pellets
- Northfin Betta Bits Formula
- New Life Spectrum Betta Fish Formula

Setting up the Project FYNN:

Initial tank setup:

Adding nitrifying bacteria from another tank of mine:

Glass top with netting to prevent jumping mishaps:

Extra notes:

- Spraybar is directed towards the back tank wall, minimizing the current flow to 'gentle'
- Additives used to assist in healing are standard Indian Almond Leaves and slime coat/dechlorinator products (stress coat/seachem prime)
- Heater is set to 81F
- Feedings are done twice a day with 3-5 pellets + 1 fasting day
- Weekly water changes will be performed (~3 to 6L)
- A betta scoop will be used in the future to prevent damage to fins (for now I will be using a plastic container to scoop him up)
- Live food culture is being considered... although they are a hassle they will be a rare treat now and then

Project FYNN was started on Sept 24th, and I received my betta Sept 28th (yesterday).

I will take weekly pictures of Mr. Betta for Project FYNN. I plan on doing a time lapse video to show the progression once his finnage fully recovers.

Feel free to offer any advice and recommendations to further increase the success of Project FYNN

Thanks for reading!

Bump: And since I received him yesterday

Here is Week 1's picture:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You mossn't be so rude!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
nice looking fish. very creamy. half and half. pour it out all over that sapphire. bling bling.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sanded down a coconut hut to add to the betta tank:

Maybe he'll use it as a house for cover, but I've only seen him lie on top of it so far from time to time...

In terms of live foods, I experimented feeding my betta with baby shrimplets from my RCS tank and he very easily eats them whole. Although I am not entirely sure if it is a good idea to use baby shrimplets as live food for bettas. I am concerned whether or not the shell of the shrimp would make it hard for the betta to disgest... but then again some people feed their bettas daphnia so I am undecided.

However, I recently got myself a live culture of white worms and he happily eats them up - so I'll probably use them instead (more sustainable). Hopefully I can keep the culture going without any complications/crashing.

I am gut loading them with fish food (specifically Sera Bettagran and Hikari Algae Wafers).

Can anyone tell me if it is okay to feed the white worms expired fish food? I am only concerned if feeding the white worms fish food will have adverse effects on the betta or the white worm culture itself.

You mossn't be so rude!!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I love the tank. It looks like you have a pile of those shrimp mineral balls. Are they for decoration or for the health of the betta?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks (:

I'm just using the shrimp mineral balls for decoration lol I was going for a "zen" look for the tank.

I honestly don't think they do much of anything for shrimp, fish, or plants.

Mineral ball products generally claim to offer:
- antibacterial properties
- trace minerals
- absorbtion of harmful toxins
- to deodorize water
- acts as active filtering media
- AND MUCH MORE! (insert additional commercial phrases)

I cannot say for sure if they do deliver on what they promise but I doubt it.

You mossn't be so rude!!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 04:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpzoo View Post
Thanks (:

I'm just using the shrimp mineral balls for decoration lol I was going for a "zen" look for the tank.

I honestly don't think they do much of anything for shrimp, fish, or plants.

Mineral ball products generally claim to offer:
- antibacterial properties
- trace minerals
- absorbtion of harmful toxins
- to deodorize water
- acts as active filtering media
- AND MUCH MORE! (insert additional commercial phrases)

I cannot say for sure if they do deliver on what they promise but I doubt it.
Lol! They do look pretty. I hope your Betta gets better soon. The breeder pictures of him are just beautiful!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's Week 2 now and he is looking a lot more vibrant now that he is settled into the tank (Compared to Week 1's picture):

In other news... I decided to make a live worm feeder for the tank. I decided to use the idea from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a51b9rpmmns

Only difference is that I used a soldering iron to make the holes lol:

I haven't tried it out yet but I hope it works out!
nakeeta and nakeeta like this.

You mossn't be so rude!!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow. Good job caring for him. His tail is healing nicely.

Great idea for a worm feeder. Just make sure he doesn't overeat. Bettas are pigs, he will eat as many worms as you allow. I accidentally dropped a huge amount of worms into Finn's tank. He zoomed over and ate them all before I or his Rasbora buddies could intervene. He spent the next several hours listing to his side with a belly ache. I thought I killed him. He also ate a Rasbora when he was a baby and looked as miserable. They don't learn.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpzoo View Post
It's Week 2 now and he is looking a lot more vibrant now that he is settled into the tank (Compared to Week 1's picture):
awesome job! he's looking so much better.

question: how do you like that external canister? i have had it on my amazon aquarium list for years now, never been brave enough to try it out in a tank.

i use the dropper method just like you, including having used a hot solder to melt the holes! /highfive. I also found it was really beneficial to use these guys
https://www.amazon.com/KollerCraft-S.../dp/B0006JM0B2
to hold the dropper up in the tank. i've used them to both suction it to the glass, and also just to hang on the outside of the edge of the feeding hole (if that makes sense) works really well. both my puffer and my betta seemed to like it when i hung it rather than suctioned it. the dropper would sway and rock with the water waves enticing them into feeding behavior with its motion.

-nakeeta
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 06:29 PM
Algae Grower

Just chiming in to say that is a stunning fish!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quick update!

Instead of a suction cup I decided to use a plastic lid to float the DIY pipette worm feeder. It is pretty fun to watch the betta peck the feeder around the tank for worms:

Added a horned nerite snail (Jack) in the tank to be a back up cleaner:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
Wow. Good job caring for him. His tail is healing nicely.

Great idea for a worm feeder. Just make sure he doesn't overeat. Bettas are pigs, he will eat as many worms as you allow. I accidentally dropped a huge amount of worms into Finn's tank. He zoomed over and ate them all before I or his Rasbora buddies could intervene. He spent the next several hours listing to his side with a belly ache. I thought I killed him. He also ate a Rasbora when he was a baby and looked as miserable. They don't learn.
I always try my best to feed a good portion but he always does such a great job of looking hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakeeta View Post
awesome job! he's looking so much better.

question: how do you like that external canister? i have had it on my amazon aquarium list for years now, never been brave enough to try it out in a tank.

i use the dropper method just like you, including having used a hot solder to melt the holes! /highfive. I also found it was really beneficial to use these guys
https://www.amazon.com/KollerCraft-S.../dp/B0006JM0B2
to hold the dropper up in the tank. i've used them to both suction it to the glass, and also just to hang on the outside of the edge of the feeding hole (if that makes sense) works really well. both my puffer and my betta seemed to like it when i hung it rather than suctioned it. the dropper would sway and rock with the water waves enticing them into feeding behavior with its motion.
I like this external canister. I also had experience with the "UP AQUA External Filter 120". I prefer the one I have running in this tank. Two main reasons are that: the plastic housing for the media is more spacious + durable and they have the option of setting the filter as a HOB or stand along with aquarium tubing. The only negative is that there is no flow adjustment... but the flow isn't strong in my betta tank with the spraybar pointed along the back of the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riza1990 View Post
Just chiming in to say that is a stunning fish!

I just hope I can get him back to his original self!

You mossn't be so rude!!

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How's your spunky little Betta doing?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

He's active in the tank and swimming about (: he seems healthy overall.

This is Week 4 and his finnage looks like it's making a good amount of progress compared to Week 2.

In other news I got myself a betta scoop and I am consider taking photos of him in the clear holding container during a routine water change...

It's a bit of work to get a weekly photo of him in the tank staying still and flaring. I will stick to tank photos if the clear container obscures the picture since it is a plastic cylinder vs. starphire glass lol.
Maclyri, Maclyri, Riza1990 and 1 others like this.

You mossn't be so rude!!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 06:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm so happy for him. You did an awesome job of caring for him. (Maybe it's the white worms?!). His tail looks great!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 07:04 PM
Algae Grower

What an awesome recovery, he's a lucky fish to have such a dedicated keeper. And the tank looks great!

Last edited by Riza1990; 10-22-2016 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Typo

Tags
betta, betta fins, betta fish, cube, starphire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode