3Likes
  • 6 Post By Cav2201

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
The Puff's big move. 18 Gallon Low-Tech

So the brief backstory...

Last week I found a solo dwarf puffer that needed a new home, no problem as I have a soft spot in my heart for dwarf puffers. Well all puffers, but that is another story. Piggy and Bitchy could use a new friend anyways, but no, their current home is too small to add a 3rd puffer to the mix. So i imediately order a new tank, because of course i did. It is slightly smaller than I would have prefered but that's the space i have available atm. I also decided that outside of the tank and most likely some plants I was going to do this with only equipment/hardscape/substate/etc. that i had on hand, so some comprismises had to be made.
This is also the fist journal i have done, so if you are reading, prepare to be underwhelmed.

Tank: Aquamaxx 18.1 Gallon Rimless ( L x W x H: 19.7" x 14.6" x 14.6") Wasn't terribly expensive and could be delivered on time on short notice.
Filter: Eheim 2217
Light: Planted Plus 24/7
will have very light ei dosing (once a week) and daily excel.

So, not having anything set up currently to use as a holding tank I was determined to do this in one day. Most likely to my own detriment as I am sure I will lamente the lack of time i spent on the hardscape. Never the less, the tank arrived promptly at 11:00 am, thanks fedex!, so I went to work. I did not take any pictures of the tear down and almost none of the hardscape setup, I never think to do that to create a journal while doing it. I have clearly failed at journaling before I have even begun.

Tear down went quick and easy right up to the point when i realized i was going to have to work with the muddy aquasoil. I also realized at this time that I did not have any extra sitting around, I forgot i used it for a couple nano tanks. Boo So enter some sand I had around to lessen the amount of aquasoil i would require. I also feared I would not have enough hardscape but I guess that is just because i always fail to realize how much stuff I have laying around that never got used in previous builds. Perhaps I needed a bit more but again I was determined to work with what I had on hand. I found a large piece of wood (center piece) and a few more pieces of random smaller branches, bonus. I also had a fair amount of petrified wood to use, so i started slapping some things together. This is what i finally settled on, well at least for now.
1 of 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160924_170354.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	674865  

Name:	20160924_170340.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	674873  

Last edited by Cav2201; 09-26-2016 at 08:41 PM. Reason: i fail at posting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Now for some plants!
I mostly used what was in the old tank but i did pilfer a few things from other tanks. Here is a list so far.

Elecharis Acicularis
Eleocharis parvula
Bolbitis
Marsilea Crenata
Random anubis, not sure it came as an add on long long ago.
Hygrophila Lanceolata Araguaia (only a bit)
Fissidens Fontanus
Fissidens Splachnobryoides

So as you can see, there is still a lot of moss work i need to do, along with other plant work.
I am thinking of using needle leaf java fern in the back left and some in the back middle so I can spread the bolbitis around and maybe lower it some, who can know these things. So if anyone has a few largish clumps they are willing to part with let me know. I also need to pick up a background, black, tonight on my way home. Anyways, thoughts and constructive criticism are always welcome. I will try to remember to update. Here are the pics right after planting/filling. Still cloudy, i felt kinda bad about putting the fish back in but the filter was in use already and heres hoping for the best, Piggy and Bitchy are not fans of the bucket. Daily water monitoring and changes are in effect aslo. You can see Bitchy in the pictures.

Bump: And cleared up a bit yesterday...
Yes, my photo skills are nothing if not sub-par.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160924_203422.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	674889  

Name:	20160924_203415.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	674897  

Name:	received_529097177290111.jpeg
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	674905  

Name:	received_529097073956788.jpeg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	674913  

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
nice composition on your elements. going to be a great home for those two. hope to continue seeing you grow this out.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 09:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking amazing so far, can't wait to see what the puffers think. Love the way you placed your wood pieces, very dramatic.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Last night I added some trident java fern I was able to get a hold of. We shall see, none of the Bolbitis or the java fern is tied or glued down yet.
Their new friend was released from his quarantine also. So I managed to get a few poor getting to know you, tiny puffer style, pictures before they went back to snail hunting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160927_195552.jpg
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	675393  

Name:	20160927_194753.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	675401  

Name:	20160927_194755.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	675409  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode