So the brief backstory...
Last week I found a solo dwarf puffer that needed a new home, no problem as I have a soft spot in my heart for dwarf puffers. Well all puffers, but that is another story. Piggy and Bitchy could use a new friend anyways, but no, their current home is too small to add a 3rd puffer to the mix. So i imediately order a new tank, because of course i did. It is slightly smaller than I would have prefered but that's the space i have available atm. I also decided that outside of the tank and most likely some plants I was going to do this with only equipment/hardscape/substate/etc. that i had on hand, so some comprismises had to be made.
This is also the fist journal i have done, so if you are reading, prepare to be underwhelmed.
Tank: Aquamaxx 18.1 Gallon Rimless ( L x W x H: 19.7" x 14.6" x 14.6") Wasn't terribly expensive and could be delivered on time on short notice.
Filter: Eheim 2217
Light: Planted Plus 24/7
will have very light ei dosing (once a week) and daily excel.
So, not having anything set up currently to use as a holding tank I was determined to do this in one day. Most likely to my own detriment as I am sure I will lamente the lack of time i spent on the hardscape. Never the less, the tank arrived promptly at 11:00 am, thanks fedex!, so I went to work. I did not take any pictures of the tear down and almost none of the hardscape setup, I never think to do that to create a journal while doing it. I have clearly failed at journaling before I have even begun.
Tear down went quick and easy right up to the point when i realized i was going to have to work with the muddy aquasoil. I also realized at this time that I did not have any extra sitting around, I forgot i used it for a couple nano tanks. Boo So enter some sand I had around to lessen the amount of aquasoil i would require. I also feared I would not have enough hardscape but I guess that is just because i always fail to realize how much stuff I have laying around that never got used in previous builds. Perhaps I needed a bit more but again I was determined to work with what I had on hand. I found a large piece of wood (center piece) and a few more pieces of random smaller branches, bonus. I also had a fair amount of petrified wood to use, so i started slapping some things together. This is what i finally settled on, well at least for now.
1 of 2