• 2 Post By sevendust111
  • 2 Post By PortalMasteryRy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 20gal Long planted tank co2 w/ dry ferts

Hi everyone,

I've been using this forum for about 8 months now, since I started my first planted tank and finally decided to join and share the fruits of my labor. The subject of this thread will be my 20 gallon long planted tank. It has been up and running for roughly two months now, and it has been baby steps getting it to where it is. So far i'm quite happy with it, but there's still more to be done. Some specifics on it as it currently stands,

Plants:
1. anubias nana
2. anubius (don't know specific name)
3. anubias mini
4. ludwigia repens red
5. ludwigia ovalis repens
6. staurogyne repens
7. echinodorus mini
8. crypt parva
9. crypt (unknown, but some kind of smaller variety)
10. Dwarf echinodorus? Not entirely sure

fish:
1. pair of german blue rams, not yet mated as one is juvenile and the other is an adult
2. 5 cherry barbs
3. 6 neon tetras
worried that it may be slightly overstocked but so far i've had no issues.

Hardscape:
one piece of driftwood with anubias mini attached, another with anubias nana attached. two medium sized rocks i found outside my apartment(lazy and cheap, but works for now). about 1.5-2 inches of black sand as substrate.

The tank was purely low tech up until about a week ago when i started dosing dry ferts, and just today i added another LED fixture (currently at 1.5W/gallon if that means anything) and a pressurized co2 system that i made DIY from a paintball tank. The co2 system works very well from what i can tell so far, but it has only been a few hours. Not sure exactly how much is going in because i don't have a bubble counter, but judging by youtube videos featuring a similar diffuser id say its about 1 bubble per second or maybe just over. Hoping to use this thread to track the progress from here. The next things I want to do is fill in some of the leftover space in the back-right portion of the tank with some nice tall plants that reach the top, and also fill in the open front area with a carpet of some kind. I'm not sure what will grow in the inert sand, so i was hoping to get some feedback. Something like HC is desired but may not be realistic since my light is not very high, i also am considering micranthemum montecarlo or dwarf hairgrass.

So let me know what you think of the tank! Hit me with any questions comments or suggestions. Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20Gal_9_25_16.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	674730  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update on this tank,

On 9/26 when i started this thread is when i first started injecting co2 from the DIY paintball setup. Since doing this the tank has EXPLODED with growth. everything has filled in a considerable amount and I am very happy with the results. I am also still dosing dry ferts every now and then..

It also appears much clearer, and i think this is because i solved my diatom problem by a) cutting back my light to 9hrs per day from 12(i knew better than that, should have done it sooner) and b) i added 2 oto cats and a big amano shrimp to clean up what was left over. within 2 days the tank was virtually spotless.

Also added 3 pots of DHG which was too much, i didn't have enough space for all of it. It was buy 2 get 1 free though so nbd. it seemed to be half dead when i got it in the mail, but its been planted for probably 2 weeks now and i'm getting new growth so i am very happy. Cant wait for it to fill in.

Also adding one of the first pictures of the tank that i have, this was immediately after initial planting. She's come a long way! Does anybody know why my amazon sword changed so much???? its completely different from when i bought it. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160725_215830_001.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	681305  

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	681313  

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I highly suggest getting a 2nd filter. I have two Aquaclear 30s on my 20 long and a nano power head right above my diffuser.
dkraft12 and dkraft12 like this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendust111 View Post
I highly suggest getting a 2nd filter. I have two Aquaclear 30s on my 20 long and a nano power head right above my diffuser.
I would recommend this too. I have the same setup of 2x AC 30's on my 20g long grow tank. It keeps the water nice and clean as long as you maintain the filters.
dkraft12 and dkraft12 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode