Michu's Mr. Aqua 60H - The Planted Tank Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Michu's Mr. Aqua 60H

Title should be Michu's Mud Mess.

I have come back to the world of planted tanks after my husband decided to be rid of "nasty fish stuff" a little over five years ago when we moved out of state. He left everything behind while I was already moved and setting up shop here. Thankfully, my daughter smuggled part of my CO2 setup onto the truck, but everything else is new.

I purchased a Mr. Aqua 60H (24 X 18 X 18) to setup on my office desk.

Currently running:

Eheim 2273
Radeon XR15FW

CO2 reactor on back order from aquariumplants.com that will be attached to an Eheim 2026 and hydor 200 heater provided the reactor is ever shipped.

My original idea for a scape included a gorgeous spider wood piece I picked up for a small fortune at my local LFS along with two smaller pieces and some slate. Was going to be a rock wall to hold up the ADA ASA in the back with white sand in the front. Plants came in before my ADA, so I flooded the tank and put the sand in the front. Sand was "Aqua Terra" that I picked up at the LFS. What a mess! I couldn't breathe on the tank without the sand going everywhere. I soon realized the "Aqua Terra" had to go. I decided the spiderwood was too big and too white. I hope the LFS accepts a return of those (haven't been in the water) and am awaiting delivery of manzanita that I ordered from manzanita.com.

I ordered more ADA ASA yesterday. Today the first batch I ordered came in along with more plants. I emptied the tank and dumped in the ADA ASA not realizing I have to rinse this disgusting stuff. I wrongfully assumed that anything that came with such a high price tag shouldn't be rinsed as it probably had ferts. Well... I have been skimming the trash off the top of my tank with a net for an hour now. It was black as coal an hour earlier. This is how my tank currently appears
Attached Images

VICTOR PIMP #51
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by michu; 09-20-2016 at 10:31 PM. Reason: It rings my bell to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I intended to move the tank further forward to where the foam didn't stick out the front and use the interlocking piece in the back hold wires, but I forgot of course. Hopefully, I will remember when I drain the tank to add the rest of the ADA ASA when it arrives sometime next week.

I am highly annoyed with ADA right now. Was the trash (including styrofoam pieces) left in the soil to create ammonia to cycle the tank? Or were they just too darned lazy to rinse the garbage out of the soil prior to bagging it? I hope I am just being a beach witch and don't stay as aggravated as I currently am with the company. I sunk quite a bit of money into their soil for a 29 gallon tank. $236 including shipping to be exact. I pray to God my husband never reads this post. I am dead meat if he does.

2 bags of Power Sand
3 bags of AS normal
1 bag of ASA Powder (Will just go in the front as I didn't order enough and am too cheap to order more.)

VICTOR PIMP #51
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/88%)
I'd like to know what happens to you more than the tank if your husband ever catches wind that you spent a fortune on dirt.

Can you do something about the tank mat?
michu and michu like this.

My journals:
-
-
-

post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm going to fix it when I remove the water to add the rest of the ADA ASA whenever it gets here. I meant to do it today, but I forgot due to the trash floating everywhere shock. HAHA

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by etane View Post
I'd like to know what happens to you more than the tank if your husband ever catches wind that you spent a fortune on dirt.
As for what happens to me, I don't even want to think about it, especially since he has no love for aquaria.

VICTOR PIMP #51
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michu View Post
I emptied the tank and dumped in the ADA ASA not realizing I have to rinse this disgusting stuff. I wrongfully assumed that anything that came with such a high price tag shouldn't be rinsed as it probably had ferts.
What am I missing here. You rinsed the Aquasoil?
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 12:55 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Minus the trash, i think it'll clear up after a few days. Also, how did you add your water? I've seen a youtube video of the ADA folk spray the substrate down first with a mist sprayer, then use a plastic bag over the substrate so that the water would not disturb the soil as much, seem to work nicely...
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinzo View Post
Minus the trash, i think it'll clear up after a few days. Also, how did you add your water? I've seen a youtube video of the ADA folk spray the substrate down first with a mist sprayer, then use a plastic bag over the substrate so that the water would not disturb the soil as much, seem to work nicely...
I sprayed it down and used a bag. Maybe I got lucky with extra grubby soil. I wish I would have taken pics of the floating styrofoam pieces. THAT blew my mind.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
What am I missing here. You rinsed the Aquasoil?
No, I didn't rinse it. I wish I would had though.

VICTOR PIMP #51
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by michu View Post
I sprayed it down and used a bag. Maybe I got lucky with extra grubby soil. I wish I would have taken pics of the floating styrofoam pieces. THAT blew my mind.

Bump:

No, I didn't rinse it. I wish I would had though.
No, believe me you don't want to rinse AS. I don't understand the styrofoam that's weird. BTW all wood will get dark over time, even the spider wood (really a root) but will get dark after submerged for a while.
michu, michu, Opare and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
No, believe me you don't want to rinse AS. I don't understand the styrofoam that's weird. BTW all wood will get dark over time, even the spider wood (really a root) but will get dark after submerged for a while.
Good to hear.

Thanks for letting me know not to rinse the AS as I intended to clean the other bags when they get here as well as I could so that I didn't have a nasty tank again.

VICTOR PIMP #51
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Sure, most important is to not disturb it. If you can do that there is no better substrate. I use the top of tupperwear or something like that and slowly pour the water on that and let it creep onto the AS. My water is always crystal even right after filling.
Opare and Opare like this.
post #11 of 96 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I obviously did something wrong. I used the sack that the ADA came in. I also probably poured it too hard, but I tried my best to go as easily as I could. I'll try a plate when the rest comes in.

Thanks for your input. Tank is clearing up quickly. I can see there are plants in there now. I planted them in the dark when the tank was black just to get them in the soil. They will go in their permanent places when the manzanita and the rest of the soil gets here. I'm not nearly as enraged as I was when I was scooping up styrofoam, sticks, and scum.

VICTOR PIMP #51
post #12 of 96 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Somebody was probably sleeping on the job when they packed your AS. Styrofoam, sticks and scum.

On the Manzanita. It will probably take a couple of weeks to sink.
post #13 of 96 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

All I have now is flakes that look like fish food floating on the top. Wonder if that's what it really is?

I hope I can weigh down the manzanita enough to get it to stay put. If not, I'll stick it in a bucket for two or three weeks.

Thank you again for all of your help and advice.
post #14 of 96 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

What a difference a day makes. Woke up this morning to a clear tank.

It took a week and a half to receive the original order of ASA soils. I ordered more yesterday. Much to my surprise, it arrived today! If I'd known it would get here that quickly, I would have waited until today to put my tank together.

I only used one of the two bags of the soil. I obviously miscalculated how much I needed. I now have an extra bag.

As for the soil, this bag appeared to be from a completely different company than the other bag. Not a piece of styrofoam in it. The very few "sticks" it had were small bits. No scum. Not much to scoop up at all! If I'd had this stuff the first time, I would have been thrilled instead of thinking folks that like this soil must be out of their blooming minds. Sorry to all you ADA ASA lovers out there. I obviously got a bum bag.

The water is cloudy now, but nothing like yesterday. Same system. Water was completely clear until I lifted the bag off the bottom which stirred it up a bit. The cloudiness is about the same as it was before I went to bed last night... about 11 hours of settling.

Algae. I noticed BBA 6 hours after changing to the ADA ASA yesterday on my Crinum Calamistratum. Much more this morning. I had only been dosing Excel waiting for my backordered reactor. Since I have no idea when my reactor will finally arrive, I ran out and purchased a cheapie glass diffuser with a ceramic disk at my LFS. My aquarium now sounds as if there are a bunch of baby crickets chirping. Lots of CO2 bubbles in my tank floating to the top. CO2 is running at 2 b/s. I hope there's some CO2 exchange going on with my water column. Since I don't have any fish in the tank, I wonder if I should run it all night to try to kill the BBA as I got a late start with the diffuser today.

Overall, a much better day than yesterday.

Bump: And I forgot to fix the mat! I guess I will have to cut it.

VICTOR PIMP #51
post #15 of 96 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think my son is reading this journal. Yesterday, He came in here with a smirk on his face and said, "Oooh. That dirt looks expensive. Real expensive. Over 200 bucks expensive. I wonder what Dad would think about such expensive dirt? I could sure use a new graphics card, Mom.", and smirked at me again, then laughed his fool head off when he saw the look on my face.

I can't repeat here what I said to him.

Son, if you're reading this and if you value your life, remember what I said.
gt turbo and gt turbo like this.

VICTOR PIMP #51

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode