The revamp....new life for an old reef tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The revamp....new life for an old reef tank

I'm excited again. That means a lot because about a month ago I was ready to simply give up for a while and be content with the current 40 gallon planted tank and the 30 gallon salt water tank, which now housed the sparse survivors of the great Ozark reef crash of 2016. I'd had the reef tank up and running for four years. I'd read so many posts about reef systems crashing. Now I'm a believer. I'm starting to think the culprit was the 18 inch long giant bristle worm I extracted while tearing it down. I had started to notice coral damage, then they started to die and the next thing I knew I had a cascade of horror, one that wasn't contained until I had done about 400 gallons of water changes. Long story short, everything but four small fish and a handful of corals died. To say I was bummed out would be an understatement.

That being said, I have always loved planted tanks. As mentioned, I have a 40 gallon tank going that I let our home school group put together under supervision. I purchased the 200 gallon display tank for the corals but always wondered how it would look as a freshwater setup. Well, here's my chance. The tank was cleaned as best I could manage (coraline algae is the devil to get off....vinegar was the key) and soon I'll start adding the basics. It's a rather unique setup. Let me elaborate.

The display tank is approx 200 gallons and sits in the wall of my den. It flows into a 110 gallon sump that used to house my DIY algae scrubber which I had for three years after my skimmer kicked the bucket. Water then flows back into the dt but also into an elevated 45 gallon refugium that gravity feeds into the display tank. My plan for both is plants, plants and more plants. I will, however, use pots in both of those tanks just for ease of changing things out whenever I need and to reduce the amount of suspended particulate matter when I mess with it.

There are certain inherent advantages to the system at present. I had a decent amount of equipment for the reef system and will just transition everything over to the new project. I have an Apex system which is wonderful for managing temperature, pumps,lighting, pH, water top off, etc. Lighting is an eclectic mixture of four Kessil A160w, one Kessil A150, three various reef strip lights and a handful of LED lights previously used to run the algae scrubber. There are also various pumps for water movement, the best being the two Ecotech MP40s (going to have to dial them back a bit for this project). Top off is a 30 gallon tank but I will probably switch that over to one of the 2, 65 gallon water tanks that currently houses my RO for salt mixing. The other will remain salt for the 30 gallon survivor's tank (a little overkill now that I think about it....a 65 gallon salt water storage tank for a 30 gallon tank). Luckily, water changes are a snap, only requiring one valve and a switch for removal and the same for tossing water back in.

I will make this disclaimer.....I'm not that good at aquascaping. I have seen some amazing scapes not only on this site and others. At this point, I'm just out to make myself happy (and the boss....the wife), grow some nice plants and make my fish as comfortable as possible. That being said, as I post photos going forward, any suggestions will be appreciated. I'm going to take this low and slow, so bear with me. I'll include photos along the way to hopefully make it more interesting.

Thanks,

Hawg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 05:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
That refugium would be perfect for freshwater too. A colony of assorted inverts, cherry shrimp, seed shrimp, pods etc that would occasionally get gravity feed into a display tank could provide some live food for the occupants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's a good idea. I like the idea of a freshwater "cleanup crew" for the fuge and the potential for the gravity feed, especially for pods.

Last edited by Hawgpharm; 09-15-2016 at 12:19 AM. Reason: other

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank four years ago before corals and fish....

The 45 gallon fuge that gravity feeds into the display tank....also with an emergency overflow back into the sump just in case. Apex controllers below the tank.

The twin 65 gallon tanks during the plumbing work.

Sump with a DIY algae scrubber.

40 gallon planted tank before it went wild. Now I'm happy it's so grown up. Going to take every bit of it to get the new project started.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
That refugium would be perfect for freshwater too. A colony of assorted inverts, cherry shrimp, seed shrimp, pods etc that would occasionally get gravity feed into a display tank could provide some live food for the occupants.
I checked out your thread and something you did is intriguing....the hydroponics. Never thought about that until now. Having a home school group, that might work into an interesting project.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 12:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgpharm View Post
That's a good idea. I like the idea of a freshwater "cleanup crew" for the fuge and the potential for the gravity feed, especially for pods.

You don't need to limit your clean up crew to the refugium, and to be honest, with as large the connected tanks are, you should definitely have a clean up crew of sorts in all the tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgpharm View Post
I checked out your thread and something you did is intriguing....the hydroponics. Never thought about that until now. Having a home school group, that might work into an interesting project.
Glad you like it, there are lots of options and ways to do a setup like this. If you want to go true hyrdropnics/aquaponics as a learning opportunity for home school group, you'd more than likely benefit most from a grow bed style setup. Not a lot of space on top of your refugium, and it and your display tank aren't really setup for viewing of that king of thing.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with (I love big connected tanks, wish I could have one)

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Algae Grower

Very nice.

-- 2.5 Gallon mini bowfront with a field of crypt wendtii, some java fern, java moss, 8 RCS, and several species of snails.
-- 55 Gallon long with Green Rotala, Crypt Wendtii, Red Ludwigia, Blyxa Japonica, Bacopa Carolinia, Banana Plant, Dwarf Sag, and an Amazon Sword. 2 Bolivian rams, 2 German Golden longfin rams, 2 German Blue Longfin Rams, 17 Rummies, 7 Neons, and a lonely Amano.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode