1Likes
  • 2 Post By FenderOffset238

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Planted 6gal Rimless Shrimp Tank

Background:
After a long break from the hobby because of grad school, I have decided to set myself up with a small, low tech shrimp tank while I'm on internship. After some previous mixed success with high tech tanks, I wanted to go back to an old-school set up with little to worry about as I adjust to my new working situation and geographic relocation. The following is the product of my wish to ease back into the hobby and rekindle my love of shrimp!

Tank:
The tank is a (highly) modified fluval edge that had been deconstructed by a LFS. I enjoyed the petite footprint and rimless aesthetic... not to mention it was a steal $$$. The tank roughly measures 20''x12''x9''

Light:
I will be using an old 24'' fixture I used to use on an old aquarium that housed a 36 watt CFL. However, I have switched out the bulb to a 16'', 24 watt 10,000K CFL. The light runs approx 8.5 hours per/day.
Additionally I have a single "Fish Bowl Innovations" LED moonlight that runs when the CFLs are off. The LED cycles its intensity according to the lunar cycle - for night time viewing purposes and naturalistic accuracy

Filter:
The tank will be sustained by an AquaTech 5-15, running at 110 GPH. I have not yet modified a sponge to fit over the intake, but this will be done before I stock my shrimp.

Temperature:
I've decided to stay in the middle of the road an keep the tank at 75 degrees F

Water:
I will be using treated tap water: pH = 7.8, Hardness = TBD

Driftwood:
Piece of Manzanita, purchased on this site a long time ago

Substrate:
Black Flora Max for planted aquariums

Plants:
As of the start of this tank I will have:
-Crypt Parva
-Micro Sword
-Unspecified Crypt (found clung to a potted parva after purchase)
I will possibly add some moss, depending on how the layout looks once established

Hardscape photo:

Initial Planting:

I am currently working on cycling the tank and getting the plants a bit more established before adding any shrimp. I intend on keeping Red Cherry Shrimp, based on their hardiness and reproductive capabilities. I was also thinking of Blue Velvets as a possibility, but am unsure if this would up the difficulty on maintaining the tanks. Input is welcome on the subject!

to be continued.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
I intend on keeping Red Cherry Shrimp, based on their hardiness and reproductive capabilities. I was also thinking of Blue Velvets as a possibility, but am unsure if this would up the difficulty on maintaining the tanks.
Blue Velvet shrimp are the same species as RCS, so if you kept them together they would interbreed and likely eventually all look like wild type, brownish and translucent. That said, because Blue Velvets are the same species as RCS, most people agree they're just about as hardy and easy to keep.

Your tank looks nice, I like the mods you did! I'm excited to see how this comes along.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterwald View Post
Blue Velvet shrimp are the same species as RCS, so if you kept them together they would interbreed and likely eventually all look like wild type, brownish and translucent. That said, because Blue Velvets are the same species as RCS, most people agree they're just about as hardy and easy to keep.

Your tank looks nice, I like the mods you did! I'm excited to see how this comes along.
Sorry I should have specified that I was debating keeping one OR the other, but I appreciate the info regarding keeping Blue Velvets. Sounds like if my LFS can get them, I'll give 'um a go!

And thanks! After setting this tank up, I realized that I had forgotten how much I like the process of hard-scaping and planting.
geisterwald and geisterwald like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
6 gallon, low tech, nano, planted, red cherry shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode