• 2 Post By Sara P.
  • 8 Post By Sara P.
  • 2 Post By Sara P.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Zoo Med Low Boy 50g Paludarium

Hi Guys. Here's my first ever Forum Post and Tank Journal! I bought this Low Boy on a whim. Luckily it fit on my industrial shelving unit.
Substrate: Flourite (red) & Inert sand foreground
Hardscape: Emerald green Quartzite & Spider Wood
Flora: Peace Lily, Maiden hair fern, Club moss, creeping ficus, Pothos, baby tears, Heart Leaf fern (in the upper portion)
Anubias, java fern, so many crypts, dwarf sag, micro sword, pennywort, java moss,Dwarf lotus, stem plants that my SO picked out and some cool grassy thing that wasn't labelled.
Fauna: Pond snails that hitched a ride in.
Here is the hardscape before filling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Those are neat tanks, look forward to seeing what you do with it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After filling

I've had the tank filled for about a week and half but it's been a slow process. Every little disturbance sends up obscuring clouds of dust. I've run the HOB most of the time and cleaned the flourite muck out of the filter every other day. I turn the filter off while planting. It's really clear now, but I want to run a circulation pump and I know it will go back to being a foggy mess once I turn that on.
Here's a picture of the fog.

And here's a clearer one, a few day after that picture was taken. About three days ago.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 07:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Looks nice! That's a really fun tank shape, interested to see how it plays out.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I'll upload a few more pictures after work. It's still cycling so no fish yet. I'm waiting on an order of floating plants.
geisterwald and geisterwald like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Love those tanks, wish they didn't cost as much, I'd buy one. make great ripariums/indoor 'pong' for a few small fancy goldfish ^^

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I hope to add a school of very small fish like chili rasbora, some pygmy cories, an ancistrus and shrimp.
Here's the raised section, I hope that the mosses eventually cover the terracotta. I don't think the maiden hair is going to make it.

Here is my favorite piece of wood, it has dwarf sag and microsword at it's base. most of the light this area is getting is natural which will either be a blessing or a curse...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Sun

I've never had natural light on any aquarium before, I'm hopeful that I can use it to my advantage and terrified that my tank will become slime. For now I'm just enjoying the way the light streams through in the morning. Some crypts are melting which is to be expected, everything else is hanging in there.

Compared to the artificial lighting. Which I'm also using.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 12:11 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara P. View Post
I've had the tank filled for about a week and half but it's been a slow process. Every little disturbance sends up obscuring clouds of dust. I've run the HOB most of the time and cleaned the flourite muck out of the filter every other day. I turn the filter off while planting. It's really clear now, but I want to run a circulation pump and I know it will go back to being a foggy mess once I turn that on.
Here's a picture of the fog.

And here's a clearer one, a few day after that picture was taken. About three days ago.
That looks amazing! This is almost what I plan to do with my Peruvian Amazon tank! How do you plant the tall plants? Are they in their pots or planted in the substrate?

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

For the non aquatic plants, I used a pond planter with pond plant substrate (coarse gravel like flourite). That is the back left corner, in the picture. I used two terracotta pots (set into the pond planter once it was filled with gravel) with a gravel base and potting spoil cap for the ferns, wandering ficus, club moss, etc things that can't stand in water. The Japanese peace Lilly is planted into the gravel of the planter because they can tolerate their roots being completely submerged but can't have their foliage under water. Then I pushed all my substrate up to the sides of the planter and planted more things that can grow up and out of the tank, so those are planted directly into the substrate of the tank itself. Hope that makes sense.
Maxine023 and Maxine023 like this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 08:25 AM
Algae Grower

Excellent that is a huge help

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode