1Likes
  • 2 Post By Justinlovewithaquariums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Location: Little Tiny Town With No Stop Lights, Northern Indiana
Starting my 1st planted tank

Hi everyone! I am new around here and to forums. I currently own 19 fish tanks, two of which have a little val grass and moss, and a few other plants people have thrown in on ebay orders recently. Seeing how these plants have effected the aquariums and fish, I have decided I want to start an all plant aquarium with cherry shrimp, snails and as a holding tank for baby angelfish.

My reason for cherry shrimp, snails and baby angelfish is because after a year of tring to have baby angelfish from my pair of Koi's, I tried a funny thing 3.5 weeks ago: I threw in about 8 free swimming angelfish fry into my cherry shrimp tank!! This tank has been up and running for about 8 months, has christmas moss, a couple vals pink ramshorns and ohhh I forget the name but gold dotty pond looking snails. Iv tried everything to raise angelfish eggs and fry. And low and behold they lived in this tank!!! So I want to make a larger replica but add loads of more plants.

Its kinda of an experiment, I am no expert. I just love aquariums! Im an old school fish tank hobbyist, I am just learning all the new stuff out there, I have no clue whats what, I just love aquariums. I spend a pretty penny on them and fish. So help me out with this new tank and lets see what happens!

My 60gal PLANTED TANK SO FAR:

WATER
PRIME
A SPONGE FILTER, And corner filter with established bio from 10gallon shrimp tank.
AN ISLAND OF ROCKS (PIC LATER ) when i learn how lol..
And just today added pool filter sand.
Ordered a canister filter on ebay today.
No light yet, Tank infront of large bay window.
No heat yet.

So that's the start of my planted tank!

Last edited by Justinlovewithaquariums; 09-06-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Location: Little Tiny Town With No Stop Lights, Northern Indiana
What lighting??? Should I use. I have the tank in direct sunlight, do you think I need more lighting? I really want to experiment with just sunlight, does anyone have person experience?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Algae Grower

We just use a near by lamp over top the fish tank of my sons tank. it is a simple 30 gallon tank and therefore doesn't need much, and honestly the light is more to tell fish that it is breakfast time. I have always tried to keep fish tanks away from windows and sunlight as it tends to get algae easier then as well as harder to regulate the temp when you don't have a heater. Canister filters are wonderful, but with baby angel fish, make sure you have a sponge filter over top the intake.

Trish
Koi Lover
Avid Pond and Garden Designer

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
You really don't want the tank in direct sunlight, or really even in indirect sunlight. You'll get a ton of algae and like the other commenter mentioned, it will be very hard to regulate your temp--on a hot/sunny day you might boil your fish. Maybe it's been done successfully, but I've never seen that...

Your angelfish will also eat your shrimp, no question.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode