3Likes
  • 4 Post By Tonvisage
  • 2 Post By Tonvisage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
55 Gallon - NOW PLANTED

Hello everyone! This is my first tank journal, but not my first planted tank. This is, however, the biggest planted tank that I've ever had!

UPDATE 11/3/2016:

UPDATE 9/25/2016:

A few weeks ago, my husband's cousin in-laws had a death in the family, leaving behind several fish tanks that they had to get rid of, fast. We decided to help them out and take what we thought was a 75 gallon tank off their hands.

When we got there, it ended up being a 55 gallon, but it came with a stand, and everything in it, including a very old looking angelfish!

I don't like the oak tank and stand, so I'm thinking of painting the stand and seeing if I can at least paint the outside of the plastic rim on the tank. I might even change out the doors on the stand for more modern doors.

The biggest planted tank I've had in the past was a 10 gallon that was very low tech. I'm hoping to go high tech on this tank with pressurized CO2 and my first experience with a canister filter.

To Do:
- Paint the Stand
- Paint the Trim
- Paint the Back

- Get new glass canopies, or get clear mesh canopies

Filtration:
- Eheim 2215 (Another hand-me-down)

Heater:
- Hydor 300W In-Line

Substrate:
- Eco-Complete, 3 Bags

Lights:
- Finnex Planted+ 24/7

Stock:
- 1 Blue Angelfish
- 2 Black Marble Angelfish
- 6 Bloodfin Tetra
- 6 Julii Cory Cats
- 4 Oto

Plants:
- Staurogyne repens
- Mayaca Fluviatilis
- Hygrophila Corymbosa Stricta
- Lobelia Cardinalis
- Downoi
- Montecarlo
- Hygrophila pinnatifida
- Rotala Rotundifolia (Indicia)

Hardscape:
- One of these trimmed down:

There is still a lot to do, but I can't wait to have such a large planted tank!

BONUS:
12 Gallon Long - Still in Progress

75 Gallon In-Wall Reef Tank - Pre-reef

Returning to the fish tank world after a 6 year absence.
In Progress:
-Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long
-55 Gallon - Painted and Planted
-75 Gallon Reef Aquarium

Last edited by Tonvisage; 11-03-2016 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Update pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

pretty tanks, and good selection of wood. What planted tank theme are you going to make the 55G? like dutch, wooded, etc?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 06:58 PM
Algae Grower

FYI: I just set up a 55G (or am still setting it up). I used 5 bags of eco-complete. It got me between 3 and 4 inches across the entire bottom, which is exactly what I wanted. 4 bags would've gotten it over the 3" mark.

-- 2.5 Gallon mini bowfront with a field of crypt wendtii, some java fern, java moss, 8 RCS, and several species of snails.
-- 55 Gallon long with Green Rotala, Crypt Wendtii, Red Ludwigia, Blyxa Japonica, Bacopa Carolinia, Banana Plant, Dwarf Sag, and an Amazon Sword. 2 Bolivian rams, 2 German Golden longfin rams, 2 German Blue Longfin Rams, 17 Rummies, 7 Neons, and a lonely Amano.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
pretty tanks, and good selection of wood. What planted tank theme are you going to make the 55G? like dutch, wooded, etc?
I haven't decided. I like the established looks of the dutch style, but I like having some negative space too. It'll probably be a combination style

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaeSuse View Post
FYI: I just set up a 55G (or am still setting it up). I used 5 bags of eco-complete. It got me between 3 and 4 inches across the entire bottom, which is exactly what I wanted. 4 bags would've gotten it over the 3" mark.
Thanks for the info! I'm aiming for a 2" base, which I think 3 bags should get me to. There was a calculator somewhere that told me how many pounds of eco-complete I needed for my tank size and depth.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

In Progress:
-Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long
-75 Gallon Reef Aquarium
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ordered some supplies

I've got 2 bags of Eco-Complete on order to add to the one that I already have (that was meant to add to my 12 gallon for more height).

I was watching the tank last night and noticed that the Eheim 2217 doesn't give enough flow to the side opposite the outflow, and I still have to add the in-line heater that will probably slow the flow a little more. I'll probably grab a small powerhead to put on that side to make sure there's enough movement.

Looking at a Hydor Koralia Nano Pump 565. I think it's small enough that it won't distract from the scape, but powerful enough for the 55 gallon.

Hopefully I'll get some paint this weekend to at least start painting the back of the tank, and maybe the stand!

In Progress:
-Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long
-75 Gallon Reef Aquarium
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Painted!

Finally got around to painting this tank!

I've also added a Hydor Koralia Nano 565 to the corner for a little more flow, and installed the In-Line heater. I'll re-position the driftwood when it finally sinks, but i'm pretty happy with the paint job. Gonna go pick up a few crappy plants from the local big box petstore just to help fight off algae until I can order some nicer plants.

Oh! I also added a new Finnex Planted+ 24/7 light. It's the same light I have on my 12 gallon long and I love it!

In Progress:
-Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long
-75 Gallon Reef Aquarium

Last edited by Tonvisage; 09-25-2016 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Lighting
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plants on their way!

I picked up 2 more angelfish (black marbles) the day after painting and threw in a few plants (Staurogyne repens and Alternanthera reineckii) that I snagged from the LFS in an attempt to keep algae away until I got the big box of plants.

I'll receive plants tomorrow, so hopefully more pictures tomorrow. Here's the list of what's on the way:
- Staurogyne repens (Yes, more)
- Mayaca Fluviatilis
- Hygrophila Corymbosa Stricta
- Lobelia Cardinalis
- Downoi
- Montecarlo
- Hygrophila pinnatifida
- Rotala Rotundifolia (Indicia)

In Progress:
-Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long
-75 Gallon Reef Aquarium
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Now planted!

Sorry for not posting in so long! I planted this tank almost 2 weeks ago and have been watching it like a hawk and forgot to post.

Picture right after planting (Sept 30th):

Picture a week later (Oct 7th):

Looks like I lost some red in my red plants, but I'm just happy everything is still alive! Right now I'm just dosing with Excel and a Macro/Micro regimen using the EI method.

My phone made this cool animation between the two pictures. I hop to continue to take weekly pictures as the tank grows.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that I was getting some discoloration of the water from the driftwood, so I threw some Purigen into my canister filter when I went to take out the carbon before I started dosing.

The algae issue that I used to have with this tank (it's in a 'sunroom' but doesn't get direct sunlight) seems to have completely gone away with the addition of the plants.

In Progress:
-Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long
-75 Gallon Reef Aquarium

Last edited by Tonvisage; 10-12-2016 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Added more info
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Lookin Good! I like your plant choices, and that manzanita is awesome. If you don't mind, where did you find that wood? LFS or online somewhere? I'm in the market for a similar sized piece. Thanks
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
Lookin Good! I like your plant choices, and that manzanita is awesome. If you don't mind, where did you find that wood? LFS or online somewhere? I'm in the market for a similar sized piece. Thanks
I picked it up online from Blooms and Branches

There was a 2 branch minimum order for the size I bought, but I figured I could find a use for the other one. It just so happened that the day that I ordered mine, they were having a 25% off sale that I couldn't pass up. I picked up the sandblasted ones.

In Progress:
-Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long
-75 Gallon Reef Aquarium
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Very Cool, Thanks! I was leery about sites that don't offer "wizzy wigs", (WYSIWYG pictures) but those look amazing. I think I'll give them a shot.

Thank You
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice branch! It looks like you can cut the branch into two pieces and create a more flat appearance for the bottom part of the branch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

1 Month Update

The tank is now fully stocked! There are 3 angels, 6 Julii Cory Cats, 6 Bloodfin Tetras, and 4 Otos that took care of my diatom outbreak in just a few days (at least on the glass and plants. They are still working on the driftwood)

Animation from day of planting up to 4 weeks later:

IN THE WORKS:
- DIY Dosing: I have plans set in place to order parts to create and Arduino controlled dosing pump for my Micro, Macros, and Excel (using Excel until I get pressurized CO2)

- CO2: I'm currently researching what all I need for a CO2 system. I've never used pressurized CO2 and want to get it right. I'm thinking of getting a GLA regulator

- Auto Top Off: We have one of these on our saltwater tank and I LOVE IT. Our RO water is in the basement and I currently top off the tank daily using a pitcher. But I'm lazy, so more automation! This might be something I build in with the Arduino dosing pump (have the Arduino run both).

In Progress:
-Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long
-75 Gallon Reef Aquarium

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode