3 Gallon Bowfront - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
3 Gallon Bowfront

Hello, TPT.

This is gonna be a retroactive journal. This tank has been set up and running without any real changes for ~3 years. The background on it is as follows:

• Circa 2013, my Fluval Edge 6 gallon was crushed by something or another that one of my children did. I really don't even remember. But it was busted into a trillion pieces- glass, fish, water, snails and plants everywhere. There were no animal survivors. The crypt wendtiis were unharmed. The Fluval basic setup was 2 of those lights they had prior to the current LED set. Little Halogens? Unsure. I also had the tiny little pressurized CO2 system that Fluval sells, and was getting a little less than 1bps. The crypt plant was an absolute weed in this setup, though I had trouble growing much else. I also killed off some fish, and I'm fairly certain it was due to the terrible closed top design cutting off O2 to the guys and plants. I occasionally dosed Excel, but that was it. 1.5" of Eco Complete, and 2 pieces of mopani driftwood. RIP you terribly designed, but beautiful, tank. 10W heater. Default/OEM HOB filter.

• Around a month or so later, during which we keept the crypt in a bucket on our porch (haha), we (wife and I) purchased (IIRC) a 3 gallon bowfront aqueon. It's hideous. Anyway, I reused the substrate, the mopani, and a rock or 2, and planted the crypts. The default/OEM HOB filter on the thing felt like a piece of junk, so I boxed it, and bought another small (but better) HOB filter. It has some 10W-15W incandescent bulb fitting under the hood. I believe I'm using the 15W, and will check and update later.

• Eventually, after the tank seemed ready, I tossed 8 very young neons in it. Seven of those guys are still hanging out in the tank today, and seem fairly happy. I really don't remember when/why/how the 8th died, but I remember coming and seeing a little corpse covered in snails one day. The remaining 7 are all 1" or so, and vibrant. The crypt had one complete melting episode about a year ago, but has since rebounded and looks amazing. I believe the melting was due to aquarium placement, as it was getting some indirect sunlight. Now it has constant runners everywhere. I never did put the CO2 back in the tank, but am considering doing so, as the kit is still hanging around, and I've even got 2-3 unused tanks. And if I can find a nicer looking hood that fits the thing, and uses LEDs instead of this miserable incandescent, I may do so. Anyone ever upgraded or changed the hood on one of these little miserable tanks?

• As it stands today, I'm doing maybe once monthly 90% water changes, feeding standard tetrafin flakes a small amount every day or two, and dosing excel maybe once or twice a week. Once the 55G I'm cycling right now is ready, those 7 neons will be moving on up (to the eastside). I THINK what I'm gonna do with the little ugly bowfront, is put a single betta, and maybe a couple of shrimp in it, and leave it like that for the foreseeable future. I would like to add another plant or 2 that might thrive in this environment. Swords would all be too big. Val too big. I've probably only got enough light for Low and Med-Low light plants. Anyone got any thoughts? Don't want java fern/moss, either.

I will try to get some pictures up this weekend. It's nothing to write home about, but it seems to have reached a nice equilibrium, and I like it- even if it's ugly, clunky, and small.

Any thoughts on additional flora, and replacement fauna, once the neons finish emigrating to the 55G?

-- 2.5 Gallon mini bowfront with a field of crypt wendtii, some java fern, java moss, 8 RCS, and several species of snails.
-- 55 Gallon long with Green Rotala, Crypt Wendtii, Red Ludwigia, Blyxa Japonica, Bacopa Carolinia, Banana Plant, Dwarf Sag, and an Amazon Sword. 2 Bolivian rams, 2 German Golden longfin rams, 2 German Blue Longfin Rams, 17 Rummies, 7 Neons, and a lonely Amano.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaeSuse View Post
It's hideous
If you don't like that bowfront perhaps try the picotope 3g? Or are you saying the scape was hideous?
IMO neons should have more swim room, such a small tank seems a bit cramped for them unless its a 18-20"+ long footprint.
Look forward to seeing some photos.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
If you don't like that bowfront perhaps try the picotope 3g? Or are you saying the scape was hideous?
The tank itself. I'm actually kinda proud of the scape, given how small it is. Looked at the pico, and it's far nicer, but I can't do open top tanks. Too many kids and animals. It would end badly. The main complaint with the tank is that there is just too much ugly, flat black, plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
IMO neons should have more swim room, such a small tank seems a bit cramped for them unless its a 18-20"+ long footprint.
I agree. It was a bad call on my part. They haven't seemed to suffer due to it, but they are too much for the tank. Looking forward to showing them their new home in the next few days. I don't want neons in the big tank. But I plan on letting them live their lives out in there.

-- 2.5 Gallon mini bowfront with a field of crypt wendtii, some java fern, java moss, 8 RCS, and several species of snails.
-- 55 Gallon long with Green Rotala, Crypt Wendtii, Red Ludwigia, Blyxa Japonica, Bacopa Carolinia, Banana Plant, Dwarf Sag, and an Amazon Sword. 2 Bolivian rams, 2 German Golden longfin rams, 2 German Blue Longfin Rams, 17 Rummies, 7 Neons, and a lonely Amano.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode