Method's Classroom II (2016-17) - The Planted Tank Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Method's Classroom II (2016-17)

A new school year and a new crop of aquarists!

See Method's Classroom for our first year of threads.

My teaching duties have been reduced so I can spend more time performing my responsibilities as science department chair. In a couple days I'll see my 20 or so 7th grade Aquarium Science students for the first time. Classroom setup, student tank setup, and individual student threads to follow!

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think it's awesome you can continue with this endeavor. Kids need more choices in elective classes. I remember when I was in 6th-7th grade, live in California at the time, they had classes like study of reptiles, marine biology, a class about birds, another about insects, along with various languages. Schools have changed so much over the years with the main goal being get them in and out as fast as possible. Seems to be more of a factory type thing, basic programming and out the door.
Keep it going for as long as you can, maybe it will catch on in more schools.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So apparently I've gotten WAY behind on this. 19 students each have their own ten-gallon up and running. We'll be starting the first set of journals soon.

It's very different this year. For the past two years I've had three classes of fifteen or so students, necessitating small groups of students assigned to one tank. As is usually the case with group work, individuals often assumed repetitive responsibilities (e.g. the same person always did the water changes, or the acquisition of plants, etc.). Now there's a lot more work for each individual to do. Progress has been steady, but slow at 45 minutes three times a week. Interspersed with planning and executing planted tanks have been lessons on bacteria, the nitrogen cycle, eutrophication, plant biology, and others.

We've gotten a lot of help from TPT members. A big Thank You is owed to @Doogy262, @d33pVI, and @MsNemoShrimp for some of our starter plants this year. Thank you! We also got a FREE SunSun 404b from @JohnnyHo and a near-continuous supply of java moss, fish, plants, and great advice from my friend @Maryland Guppy. Thanks everyone!

Threads coming soon. I promise!

Teaser: a Science Department colleague admiring the 'back nine'.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

SunSun Pimp #66

Last edited by Method; 11-21-2016 at 02:34 AM. Reason: fixed Maryland Guppy's tag

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

wish my school had fancy things like this :l my school has barely ANY electives that are about animals or fish. well they have none about fish, and 2 about animals, and ive taken every class about animals :l now what do I do im only a sophomore
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
wish my school had fancy things like this :l my school has barely ANY electives that are about animals or fish. well they have none about fish, and 2 about animals, and ive taken every class about animals :l now what do I do im only a sophomore
When you're in college in a couple years there will be more animal/fish classes than you can handle! My advice: after a year or so of getting used to the workload, take an 'independent study' class where you help a graduate student with their fish-based research. All research universities and most colleges in general have someone doing research on fish in some way or another. When I was at the Universities of Florida and Maryland I worked with primates, blind cave fish, wild birds of all types, farm animals, and others I can't remember right now. Two years goes by FAST!
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

SunSun Pimp #66
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

First student journal of the year goes to @FishMan789! Here is the journal!

Here is the tank

SunSun Pimp #66

Last edited by Method; 12-08-2016 at 07:19 PM. Reason: edit
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Left side of the classroom. Nine student tanks.

Back of the classroom. Eight student tanks and a 20 gallon quarantine.

Left side front. My aquaponics tower and an emptyish 55 gallon which will be converted to a Chesapeake Bay biotope.

Right side of the classroom. My desk with shrimp tank, bookshelf with Mediterranean Gecko vivarium on top and emersed stem grow-out tanks. Two student tanks under the word wall.

Shrimp tank on my desk.

Front 55. Being converted to a riparium. Goldfish were donated, but will make their way to my parents' goldfish pond in Virginia.

SunSun Pimp #66

Last edited by Method; 12-09-2016 at 10:06 PM. Reason: edit
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is another! This is Shadowtank. Jungle by design.

The Ten Gallon Tetra Hangout. Not pictured (yet), the huge lobelia in a riparium planter.

The Micro Forest in 3D. We're going to have to get some more hardscape.

Celty!. These happy glowlights are getting some more plants to be even happier.

First Tank here! The owner of this tank is seriously into java moss. We might have to tame that beast...

El Hermoso Tanque (Don't worry, I've reported this to the seventh-grade Spanish teacher...). This is one of our dirt tanks. I might have to demonstrate how to join the Fraternity of Dirt.

Waterworld has some cool Kuhlis. For some reason they still haven't found the coconut shell.

And rounding out this batch is The Civilized Sea. This one has some real potential! This student has dreams of a path of lighter substrate set off by planted patches.
RWaters and RWaters like this.

SunSun Pimp #66

Last edited by Method; 12-15-2016 at 12:48 AM. Reason: edit
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Glad to see this again! PM'ed you.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another new one today is Steven's Hangout. Steven is a late turtle (RIP Steven) that belonged to this student. This tank is in memory of him.

SunSun Pimp #66
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The furious tank is well-named because Corydoras are so mean. Wait... Actually I think this tank is furious because the owner put it together in a hurry. Well done! Corys are among my favorite fish.

SunSun Pimp #66
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Before and after pictures of the Chesapeake tank. The before picture was shot yesterday at 4:00 PM. I had put some filter floss in one of my HOBs, but neglected to remember that it was full of clay from a Safe T Sorb tank. So I added my DIY polishing filter.

15 hours later

Any smudges are on the glass, not particles floating in the water. The polishing filter is just a pump, a dollar store glass vase, some CPVC, and some polyfil.

This tank is destined to become a Chesapeake biotope. Right now it has mummichogs, sheepshead minnows, and Vallisneria americana. If I get brave enough I'll try to wade into the bay by my house and pick up some black-fingered mud crabs. I might catch a white or yellow perch (or two) and add them as well.

SunSun Pimp #66
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's The BettaStar Fortress One!

Here's Trumpet Snail Orchestra. Love the play on words. Coming up in the new year: a background and a much better picture.

SunSun Pimp #66

Last edited by Method; 12-29-2016 at 04:13 PM. Reason: edit
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:51 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Method's Classroom II (2016-17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
Left side of the classroom. Nine student tanks.

Back of the classroom. Eight student tanks and a 20 gallon quarantine.

Left side front. My aquaponics tower and an emptyish 55 gallon which will be converted to a Chesapeake Bay biotope.

Right side of the classroom. My desk with shrimp tank, bookshelf with Mediterranean Gecko vivarium on top and emersed stem grow-out tanks. Two student tanks under the word wall.

Shrimp tank on my desk.

Front 55. Being converted to a riparium. Goldfish were donated, but will make their way to my parents' goldfish pond in Virginia.

Love seeing these, keep up the updates. In your desk shrimp tank, are those red root floaters, or something else? Much more fuschia/pink that typical RRF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 01:06 AM
Algae Grower

This Is incredible!
When my tanks start outgrowing themselves I would be happy to donate plants, fish, and shrimp!
Subscribed!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode