Method's Classroom II (2016-17) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibebian View Post
Love seeing these, keep up the updates. In your desk shrimp tank, are those red root floaters, or something else? Much more fuschia/pink that typical RRF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

They're RRF. They are actually pretty red; the light washed them out a little in this pic.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman922 View Post
This Is incredible!
When my tanks start outgrowing themselves I would be happy to donate plants, fish, and shrimp!
Subscribed!
Thank you for your kind words. After the initial setup was complete we had a classroom full of bare tanks. The vast majority of the plants and animals were provided by the kindness of TPT members such as yourself. The tanks 'belong' to the students on a year-to-year basis, but the entire project is much more a reflection of great people in our hobby than any work that I've done. I'm just glad I get to use this awesome learning tool!

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

SunSun Pimp #66
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Outstanding classroom and teacher, just wow!

Brian Rodgers

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
@Method your students are awesome and I appreciate all the gratitude.
Too many posts to comment on them all at once, passed out the likes though.

Please tell them I am subscribed to this thread and I'll catch any feedback here.
Although they should be reading this too!

I am glad to help with the classroom plant acquisitions.
My aquatic jungles need thinning periodically and this is a worthy cause IMHO.

Now down to the last of the trimming.
This batch will be the last for a little while.

More classroom pics please.
Method and Method like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

More pics have been added to the students' journals. Here are some of the highlights...

SunSun Pimp #66
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I recognize that rock tube! Glad its being used, Ive backed down my fish keeping from 11 tanks to 3.

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I recognize diamond black there. Good economical choice. Tanks look great! Almost everyone in my family teaches in some capacity, so more power to you, and you are most certainly underpaid for the impact and importance of your work with the future of our country, thank you.
ibebian and ibebian like this.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 07:21 PM
Algae Grower

Im loving this. It makes me happy to see a teacher doing something like this with such passion with their kids. I wish I had a teacher like that lol I can only hope my kids will have a teacher like you when they hit middle school. Otherwise I will feel like they missed out on something spectacular
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
This is the coolest class ever! I would be more then happy to donate plants and hard scape. I'm sending a pm to see what's needed. Tanks are looking good class. Subscribed!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:25 AM
Algae Grower

Fellow Marylander here. We haven't started having kids yet but I'm hoping they end up in your class one day! Happy to see a teacher going outside the box like this.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Today, I was thinking about what you're doing with your class, and it brought back memories from elementary school science class. Each year, our teacher had a special project like this for us. Third grade was raising beetles from mealworms. The next year we had isopods and snails. The next two years, I can't remember which came first, but we had anoles one year and toads and frogs the next. We had these terrariums set up for them and that in itself was fun, let alone getting the animals for it.

I look back fondly on that as one of the highlights of elementary school for me. And I'm glad to help your students feel the same.

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceangirl View Post
I recognize that rock tube! Glad its being used, Ive backed down my fish keeping from 11 tanks to 3.
We still have a lot of your stuff hanging around! I believe that's your spiderwood in my shrimp tank with moss all over it. There's definitely a big hunk of bolbitis in one of the tanks too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktetra View Post
I recognize diamond black there. Good economical choice. Tanks look great! Almost everyone in my family teaches in some capacity, so more power to you, and you are most certainly underpaid for the impact and importance of your work with the future of our country, thank you.
Thank you! My wife convinced me to switch careers from science (which I liked) to teaching science (which I LOVE). I have the best job.

I got hooked on black diamond from others on this forum who suggested it was the cheapest easy substrate to either use solo or use as a soil capping material. I like that it really holds plants down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkohanzo View Post
Im loving this. It makes me happy to see a teacher doing something like this with such passion with their kids. I wish I had a teacher like that lol I can only hope my kids will have a teacher like you when they hit middle school. Otherwise I will feel like they missed out on something spectacular
I hope that this project can keep growing during my tenure here. Of my 19 current students, at least four got a tank for Christmas. All of those know how to keep fish correctly and that plants are at the very least a good tool to keeping a healthy tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackariah View Post
This is the coolest class ever! I would be more then happy to donate plants and hard scape. I'm sending a pm to see what's needed. Tanks are looking good class. Subscribed!

Thank you so much! I responded to your pm. You're in good company; several of the recent posts are from friends of our class. Maybe it's time I post a picture of my map...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTerror View Post
Fellow Marylander here. We haven't started having kids yet but I'm hoping they end up in your class one day! Happy to see a teacher going outside the box like this.
Just doing what I love. I plan on sticking around for a good long while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
Today, I was thinking about what you're doing with your class, and it brought back memories from elementary school science class. Each year, our teacher had a special project like this for us. Third grade was raising beetles from mealworms. The next year we had isopods and snails. The next two years, I can't remember which came first, but we had anoles one year and toads and frogs the next. We had these terrariums set up for them and that in itself was fun, let alone getting the animals for it.

I look back fondly on that as one of the highlights of elementary school for me. And I'm glad to help your students feel the same.
Thank taking what you learned and paying it forward to us!
Blacktetra and Blacktetra like this.

SunSun Pimp #66
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Any updates?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode