• 2 Post By Albtraum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
26 Acrylic guppy tank - Tips/ Advice??

36" x 10" x 16" Acrylic
-60lbs eco complete
-Finnex planted 24/7 36" (I believe it sends 60 PAR @ 16")
-Marlineland Penguin 200 (Single bio-wheel HOB)
-Marineland Maxi-Jet 400 (for co2 diffusion and circulation)
-1 two-liter bottle DIY Co2, 2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp yeast

Fish: 6 female guppies, 3 male guppies, 4 guppy fry, 4 harlequin rasboras. Ideally, I'd like to have a lot more guppies. I feed once a day, sometimes skip a day.

Plants: anubias, wisteria, rotala, ludwigia, s repens, downoi, java fern, bacopa carolina, and other bacopa-looking stems

Just got lots of new plants, and getting back into the hobby. My tank has been setup for like 5 years. Back then I did water changes maybe twice a year. Now I'm wanting to do things better. I've been doing a 5 gallon water change every week. Is this enough? I don't have a timer for lights, and I don't use the 24/7 feature. My lights go to max brightness for 6-8 hours a day, weekends, sometimes 10 hours a day. I don't know how many hours I should have it on for.

I like the Penguin bio-wheel filter, but am itching to get a canister. Don't know if my filtration is adequate when I eventually have more guppies. I know Aqua Clear's are super popular on here, but I didn't like mine, and sold it. Don't know which Gallon-Per-Hour rating I should go for.

As for my scape, I removed all but one driftwood piece, as i'm trying to see how the new plants do.

DIY co2 hose goes to the inlet of the maxi-jet power head, then a fluval pre-filter fitted over it all. I leave it on all the time, but should I unplug the power head at night? Thus, making the co2 bubble to the surface? Is 1 two-liter enough? I'm thinking about getting some T fittings, and combining 2 or maybe 3 bottles, for more Co2, and more a more stable supply.

Thanks for any input~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Your guppy population will explode, probably faster than you're expecting. More guppies is nice but 200 or so in a 26 is more than a little excessive, and they won't stop. Make plans to trade, sell or give away your excess before you have to; find a local aquarium club, a LFS that will take them off your hands, learn how to sell fish online or something.

Past that, 5 gallons water change/week sounds fine--once your tank is more heavily stocked you might move to changing a little bit more weekly. Your lights sound OK. 10 hours is a little much but if it's not a constant thing it's probably alright.

1-two liter DIY CO2 should be fine on a 26, I wouldn't go with 2 bottles on anything less than a 40 gallon tank because that would risk gassing your fish; I've heard of it happening. Maybe others have advice on how to prevent it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterwald View Post
Your guppy population will explode, probably faster than you're expecting. More guppies is nice but 200 or so in a 26 is more than a little excessive, and they won't stop. Make plans to trade, sell or give away your excess before you have to; find a local aquarium club, a LFS that will take them off your hands, learn how to sell fish online or something.

Past that, 5 gallons water change/week sounds fine--once your tank is more heavily stocked you might move to changing a little bit more weekly. Your lights sound OK. 10 hours is a little much but if it's not a constant thing it's probably alright.

1-two liter DIY CO2 should be fine on a 26, I wouldn't go with 2 bottles on anything less than a 40 gallon tank because that would risk gassing your fish; I've heard of it happening. Maybe others have advice on how to prevent it.
Yeah I got the guppies back in May or June. Only 1 female has given birth, to about 7 and 4 survived. I do plan on trading / selling / giving them away when I need to. I plan on buying a few here and there to keep it mixed up. However not a single female looks pregnant to me.

I keep forgetting about getting the API master test kit and a drop checker. I need to see just what my co2 PPM is. And all the other parameters. I barely have a thermometer.
geisterwald and geisterwald like this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albtraum View Post
Yeah I got the guppies back in May or June. Only 1 female has given birth, to about 7 and 4 survived. I do plan on trading / selling / giving them away when I need to. I plan on buying a few here and there to keep it mixed up. However not a single female looks pregnant to me.

I keep forgetting about getting the API master test kit and a drop checker. I need to see just what my co2 PPM is. And all the other parameters. I barely have a thermometer.
It could also be that your water is softer than guppies usually like. They really bred like rabbits in the hard water at my parents' house. Still, it's good to be prepared. Definitely recommend getting the test kit and drop checker!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode