Andy's Nano 40 Planted - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Andy's Nano 40 Planted

Hi everyone, thanks for coming to read my journal.

I have an Aqua nano 40 tank from which I have removed the rear filter section and painted the back of the tank black.

I am using a Tetra EX600 Plus external canister filter and in line Hydor External heater unit. Lighting is from an Arcadia Stretch 30cm.

The tank is hard shaped with 8kg of red quartz rock from Maidenhead Aquatics and I have JBL Aqua basics substrate and JBL Manado on top of that.

Im wanting to plant up the tank with something that forms a carpet in the foreground, some decent middle ground plants and something taller at the back. If you could help me with recommendations for plant I would appreciate it.

Ive attached a few photos, if you could let me know your thoughts on how I'm doing so far I would appreciate it.

Wet test.

Tank position.

Hardscape.

Filling with water.

Filled.

Front tank shot.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi everyone, my tank water has gone cloudy today, is it just because it's a new filter and new soil? Will it all go clear soon?

What does everyone think to my layout?

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi everyone, little update on my tank...

I managed to get it all planted last Thursday with some HC Cuba, Dwarf Hairgrass, Juncus Repens, Alternanthera Reineckil 'Rosanervig' and Anubias Nana. Really happy with how it looks even on the day of planting, can't wait to see how it ends up!!

Planting day!

4 days in..

I'd love to know what everyone thinks to my tank, PLEASE COMMENT!!

Thanks, Andy

nakeeta and nakeeta like this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 10:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
lol Hi Andy, it's like talking to thin air sometimes! First of all I am NOT an aquascaper but here are my thoughts. I didn't like the red rocks on the red soil but after being planted was like a whole different tank! And I think it's planted very nicely. The Alternanthera Reineckil 'Rosanervig' might be better behind the Juncus Repens though just to break it up from the red rocks a bit (I think this is what a real critic might say but I still like it ) Looks like the anubias' rhizome might be buried? It's hard to tell from the picture. If so, you want to pull it up a bit just leaving the roots in the substrate or the rhizome will rot.
chieftanAK and chieftanAK like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated 9/24/16

Updated 4/19/17
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 10:38 PM
Algae Grower

It looks really nice. The reddish rocks and brownish substrate blend well with the plants, especially since plants like the E. parvula and A. nana have different shades of green.

What are your water parameters like, and how much CO2 do you dose?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I agree with the previous posters. Your tank looks great to me. But as said previously, just make sure the rhizome of the anubias is not buried.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
That is really pretty! I like your choice of colors of the substrate and rocks to go with it, then the bold colors of the plants. Very nice.

What are you going to put in the very back? Anything tall? And what inhabitants? Maybe some yellow cherry shrimp? The intense yellows, like neons, might look good and help the yellows of the rocks pop. Then again, some clear ghosts would look nice as well.

Bump: That is really pretty! I like your choice of colors of the substrate and rocks to go with it, then the bold colors of the plants. Very nice.

What are you going to put in the very back? Anything tall? And what inhabitants? Maybe some yellow cherry shrimp? The intense yellows, like neons, might look good and help the yellows of the rocks pop. Then again, some clear ghosts would look nice as well.

~ Linda ~

How many watts do I need to make my swimming pool a high light tank?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampCreekTexas View Post
That is really pretty! I like your choice of colors of the substrate and rocks to go with it, then the bold colors of the plants. Very nice.

Thankyou very much for your kind words... I really like how the tank looks - it's my first ever attempt at setting up a properly planted tank in to substrate and soil etc so really looking forward to how it is going to end up (if it ever does truly 'end' up!!) and am quite proud of myself!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
I agree with the previous posters. Your tank looks great to me. But as said previously, just make sure the rhizome of the anubias is not buried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myswtsins View Post
lol Hi Andy, it's like talking to thin air sometimes! First of all I am NOT an aquascaper but here are my thoughts. I didn't like the red rocks on the red soil but after being planted was like a whole different tank! And I think it's planted very nicely. The Alternanthera Reineckil 'Rosanervig' might be better behind the Juncus Repens though just to break it up from the red rocks a bit (I think this is what a real critic might say but I still like it ) Looks like the anubias' rhizome might be buried? It's hard to tell from the picture. If so, you want to pull it up a bit just leaving the roots in the substrate or the rhizome will rot.
I think the Rhizome may be buried but when I tried to fetch the plant up slightly it kept floating... I'll see how it goes and may have to replace that plant with something different. In which case I will definitley go for something a little taller to give a bit more perspective in the tank and hid my filter inlet!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenglaan View Post
It looks really nice. The reddish rocks and brownish substrate blend well with the plants, especially since plants like the E. parvula and A. nana have different shades of green.

What are your water parameters like, and how much CO2 do you dose?
Thankyou . My water is as per the following (only have the Tetra test strips but they have always been reliable for me)

NO3 - 10mg/l
NO2 - 1mg/l
GH - 8 od
KH - 3 od
pH - 7.2
Cl2 - 0mg/l

Any comments (help) on these parameters?

I have been diffusing CO2 from a TMC Aquagro Expert Kit and adjusting until a drop checker indicates the correct level. I have recently replaced the in tank diffuser with an Ista Inline reactor and I have video'd my setup now. I will post a video to here shortly along with a couple of photos.

I'm anticipating another 2-3 weeks before I'm going to be comfortable to start and stock the tank - any further recommendations would be gratefully received. I really like the look of the Yellow Cherry Shrimp so will probably end up getting 3-5 of these. I like the idea of having a fairly decent shoal of fish, i was thinking Neon Tetras but ideally would like something different (less common) - any ideas?. Also - my fiance would like to get a Dwarf Puffer, would that wreak havoc and kill all my other fish or can they be kept with Shrimp and a small shoal of other fish? If thats not advisable then I would probably go for something like a Honey Gourami or similar, again any recommendations are very welcome!

Video and photos to follow!

Thanks again everyone,

Andy K
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 08:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
You can tie/superglue (use gel, cyanoacrylate) anubias to rocks! You could get some small rock (lava rock maybe) and attach them to that to keep them from floating. You could also do wood but I don't think you need wood in this tank, it looks nice as is. You could even bury the rock so just the top and the rhizome is sitting above the substrate. Parameters look pretty good, you should get an ammonia test though! I think you're probably still expecting a nitrite (NO2) spike in the coming days/weeks.

Dwarf puffers will absolutely kill shrimp, and most other fish. They generally need to be kept alone. Gouramis will also eat your shrimp and fight other fish. Shrimp and a small group of "nano" fish is probably your best bet.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is a video of my aquarium setup..

You can hear my dog in the background 'talking' to his mum, my fiance!! He loves talking to humans like this!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6kIiZJLFWQ

Thanks,

Andy K
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi everyone,

Just done a 50% waterchange and trimmed my hairgrass.

The hairgrass is looking very very rough
.. I'm giving the tank 10hrs of light per day, I have CO2 going in through an inline reactor so everything is there.. Maybe my Arcadia Stretch 30cm is not powerful enough? Tank is 35cm deep.

Can anyone help me with this?

Other than that the rest of the tank is looking pretty good

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Your pictures there are all upside-down for me, not sure what happened.

But where did you purchase the hairgrass? Hairgrass is often grown emersed, especially when sold from larger retailers. In my experience it'll usually melt and transition to an immersed form when submerged, and that may be what's happening here. Is there any new growth showing? You're likely fine if there is. I would be surprised if light was the issue; the grass shouldn't need anything more that HC at the very least.

Feeling adventurous? Maybe check out my current
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 03:11 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to Kingtriton92
Great looking tank and I love the room your housing it in!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dr Acula - I have no idea what's going on with my photos!! Its when I post from my phone they go wonky! I'll have to log in on t'internet and see if I can switch them around!!

I have started adding fertiliser in my tank this week, TNC complete and have already started to notice a difference to the other plants in the tank. Incidentally your suggestion about the grass may be correct as there does soon to be a bit of green grass starting to come up.. Is this normal then?

Kingtriton - Thanks very much, I'm really happy with the look of the tank, can't wait for it to develop and looking forward to having some gorgeous fish in there.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Stock -

I'm thinking of going for:

5 Yellow Cherry Shrimp
10 Galaxy Rasboras

I would also really like to have a dwarf puffer in the tank but people have said they will eat the others, I have read a lot of information about them and there are also a lot of people saying that they are fine with other community fish. Has anyone kept a dwarf puffer in a community tank?

Anyone have any other suggestions in addition to the shrimp and rasbora?

Thanks, Andy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode