8.5G Bow-Front @ Girlfriends - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile 8.5G Bow-Front @ Girlfriends

She really wanted a tank like one of mine, and she is certainly intelligent enough to take care of it. I planned it for weeks, gathering the rocks and working on the driftwood (boiling, shaping, charring with a torch, etc.)

We are using a 4-cube organizer shelving unit as a stand, the center is strong no bowing however it is a bit wobbly side to side. I built a lighting rack from two shelf brackets cut in half, an aluminum tube, and three $5 10W LED floodlights (one of which was DOA, so the center light is not lit in photos). I will paint the lighting rack all black soon.

I emptied the charcoal from the filter bag and managed to squeeze in a full bag of Purigen it was a tight fit. To soak up some extra nitrates I put a Pothos vine in the back of the filter, which is also where we add top off water to the tank. To jump start this tank I brought two dirty filters from my tanks and put them in a shower/planter basket in the rear as well as a Spider plant...I will eventually use the basket for more plants and clay balls as a substrate. I also dumped in almost half a bottle of old bacteria start-up solution I had around from about 6 months ago. We added a single Nerite snail a few days later and there has been no signs of Ammonia or Nitrite. The snail is keeping the white slime growth on the new wood to a minimum while the tank cycles as well as keeping the glass clean.

I thought about painting the back of the tank black but I may just backlight it white. This is some of my best work yet, makes me want to rescape my own tanks! We will add a Horned Nerite as well as red cherry shrimp after about a month, I no longer keep a pair of Amano shrimp in tanks smaller than 20-30 gallons they are just too greedy and hungry. As for fish either Endlers or Chili Rasboras, but the Chili's are hard to find. All the way to the left there is a slope of Java Moss, then an Amazon Sword behind the rock. Moving to the right along the back-centered is Ludwigia of some sort (hopefully red). In front of that to either side of the root pointing forward is Cryptocoryne, Anubias on the stump and Wisteria to the right, under and in front of the filter. The next thing we will add will be floaters, some Crypt Parva, Jungle Val, and Riccia.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode