Planted 10g Betta Bunks - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted 10g Betta Bunks

Hi! I'm Altheora, a raptor rehabilitator who has recently gotten into fish tanks.

This started out when I decided that I wanted a simple, easy, cheap betta. I set up an unplanted 5g tank, and went shopping. I purchased a betta and named him Rime. I then decided that he needed friends. Well, the 5g wasn't big enough, so...

Long story short, I now have two 10g tanks, two bettas (Rime and Resin), and friends for both!

From original post:

Most recent images:

Specs:
First Dirted 10g (bottom bunk)
1" of MGOPM, 1.5" of small black gravel
Finnex 20/7 Planted Plus
Marina S10 HOB filter / heater / circulation pump
Seachem Flourish 0.8ml ~1x/week
Seachem Excel 1ml ~2x/week
Seachem Iron 0.8ml ~1x/week
Seachem Prime PRN
Moderately planted with some doing better than others: Amazon Sword, Wisteria, Java Ferns (narrow- and needle-leaf), Frogbit, Dwarf Hairgrass (I think there's like two blades left), Rotala sp, AR mini (brown but alive), Staurogyne sp purple (currently green), Staurogyne sp green (also green), Ludwigia atlantis.
Two Corydoras paleatus (To be moved to Devil's Triangle soon), three Otos, and a betta

Devil's Triangle (top bunk), 10g
1-1.5" BDBS
API root tabs x6
Two 6500k CFLs
Marina S10 HOB filter / heater
Seachem Prime PRN
Hygro. willow, Staurogyne sp. purple, Microsorum red, Blyxa Japonica, Giant baby tears, Rotala rotundifolia unknown type, Limnophila sp. butterfly, Microsorum Thors hammer, Myrio mini (Myriophyllum mattogrossense), Anubia gold, Microsorium needle leaf, Micro sword, Staurogyne Porto Velho, Rotala mini, Subwassrtang, Lobelia cardinalis, Pancuragi moss, Dwarf hairgrass (from petsmart), one large purple silk plant as a distraction for the betta.
Two Corydoras paleatus, one betta

Last edited by Altheora; 12-05-2016 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Updated specs, title.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 06:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Imo, the cheapest (while still being effective) way to light a tank is with 6500k cfls. On a 10 gallon I would use two 13 watt bulbs. You could put them in those brooder/clamp lights they have at walmart for around $8 or a desk lamp if you have any laying around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 07:18 PM
Algae Grower

I second the cfl/brooder combination. I have a 5.5g betta tank with one that's doing pretty well so far and I'll be setting up a 40b with 3 eventually.

I don't know what your final stocking plan is but something to keep in mind, corys like to be in groups. Once cycled, you may want to consider adding a few more, or if you're looking to add some other fish as well the dwarf cory might be an option.
From what i have read:
C. habrosus acts much like a normal cory, spending a lot of time on the bottom
C. pygmaeus and C. hastatus are more active in the mid level

As to the driftwood, I never did experience any Ph changes when adding mine, but just keep an eye on it, and eventually it should stabilize.

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, @lotsalotls! I will look into that. That sounds much more economical than the things I was looking at. They're the spiral type, yes?

@xpix3lx I'll definitely be getting more corys once the tank's cycled. Have no fear.

I just cheated and checked the pH of the water the driftwood's been sitting in for ~12 hours. 6.2. ...I think I'll keep soaking it a few days. Hopefully I'll get a chance to boil it for hours on end, but I keep getting called in to work on my days off. I won't have a day off until next Thursday. Ergh.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Annnd my heater died last night. Everything and everyone's still miraculously alive, but temp's way down. I'll be getting a new heater today.

So far, my tank has been up for three weeks and I'm on my third filter, second heater (getting today), second stand (owned, just needs spray paint), and I need a second light system... while planning an expensive third on down the road. This is silly.

The new stand is because my first filter leached water out for 18 hours onto the wooden (sturdy) bedside table it's currently on. The next filter literally and randomly cracked open while running, so I no longer trust the table. I have had many adventures with this new tank already!
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No new heater today. Things happened, and the store I managed to get to didn't have a heater with adjustable settings. I'll drive further out after work tomorrow to a bigger place.

Plants are pretty static. Fish are doing fine. Still no upgraded lights. Ammonia is down even further. Nitrites/Nitrates are both still up. We'll get there!
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 03:41 PM
Algae Grower

Talk about a string of bad luck... Hopefully you get it all out the way early and things can proceed smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New light and new heater!

Long story short, I got a different light than you guys suggested. Using the cfls would have required me either driving to a different town or ordering them online. I stumbled across a Floramax 18" for $11 and went with that, since it fits my hood. It looks WAY brighter!

I also snagged an adjustable heater, which I'm slowly warming the tank back up with. Poor corys!

The tank is so much brighter. I'll still probably be upgrading to a Finnex in a few months, but man, this is lovely for now. My struggling plants needed it badly.

I bought a couple of the 6500k cfls with an intermediate base that were on sale. If I find a cheap intermediate-based lamp at some point, I may add that on to my 5g and toss some plants in there.

Hang in there, sad brown dwarf hairgrass!
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
It always starts with a Betta and then you have MTS (multiple rank syndrome). Be careful. Starting a new tank means that you have an old tank that... Looks really sad without a Betta in it. Yup. Vicious cycle.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

trufax

trufax

...And I keep looking at the bettas every time I enter a pet store.

Bad. XD
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altheora View Post
trufax

trufax

...And I keep looking at the bettas every time I enter a pet store.

Bad. XD
I know what day new ones come into the LFS. Very, very bad.
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My LFS has a pretty sad collection of bettas, so I'm really just stuck with Petco... though one of the Petcos in my area has really nice bettas.

I also have a really, REALLY bad habit of checking Aquabid.

Help me.
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank's pH is down to 6.5 without driftwood, but then, the bucket housing the driftwood is 6.5, too. I'm still nervous, but I'll went ahead and added one piece. My plants are, overall, on the downswing. Hopefully yesterday's light will help rescue them.

I'll knock down that "gravestone" rock in the center of the tank when I'm in there next. I must've flipped him up while I was rearranging. Whoops! Otherwise, slight improvement from my starting picture, I think.

Also, cory cameo!

post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altheora View Post
The tank's pH is down to 6.5 without driftwood, but then, the bucket housing the driftwood is 6.5, too. I'm still nervous, but I'll went ahead and added one piece. My plants are, overall, on the downswing. Hopefully yesterday's light will help rescue them.

I'll knock down that "gravestone" rock in the center of the tank when I'm in there next. I must've flipped him up while I was rearranging. Whoops! Otherwise, slight improvement from my starting picture, I think.

Also, cory cameo!

I love the wood. It makes a natural cave. Halfmoon Bettas love caves.
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hmm. So this is awkward. My nitrate levels are dropping.

Ammonia is nearly done--hanging out at 0.10.
Nitrites are staying peaked at 5.0+

Nitrates:
8/10: 5
8/12: 10
8/14: 7.5
8/15: 5.0

I did get the new light on 8/13. Could the plants have just taken off and started using up the nitrates that swiftly?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode