UbbeDall's 112l - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking UbbeDall's 112l

Hey guys, this is the start of my 112 liter journal. This is my first time trying a heavily planted aquarium like this. It was meant as a low-effort tank with just a couple of guppies, but I've been slowly adding on a bit more equipment - still have a fairly relaxed approach to it though. The tank currently has quite a lot of flow with both a Aquaclear HOB filter and a SunSun canister filter. For lighting I started with a Kessil but it had all my plants growing towards the center, so got a second one to even it out a bit. Co2 is supplied by a DIY citric acid + baking soda setup.

Fish:
Guppies
Otocinclus

Plants:
Rotala Macrandra
Rotala Rotundifolia
Rotala 'Bonsai'
Ludwigia Palustris
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini'
Nymphaea lotus

Day 1

3 Weeks

Last edited by UbbeDall; 07-26-2016 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Text
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've been getting a ton of these snails lately, is it due to overfeeding or are they simply unavoidable?

crazydaz, crazydaz, LRJ and 3 others like this.

Last edited by UbbeDall; 07-26-2016 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Updated video
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A little gif of the R. Macrandra in the outflow

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:47 PM
Returning. Videotapes.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz
Nice tank! Should be a real stunner when it's finished filling in. Love the .gifs too. You'll have to tell me how you did that!

The snails are not "unavoidable"; usually, their eggs come with the plants you received. If you never intend to have invertebrates in the tank, you can dose copper-based snail treatments to kill them, and then dip your future plants in the same type of solution. Most are pretty inexpensive and very effective. Personally, I like having the snails in there; they act as cleaners and break dead vegetation and food down, and will only reproduce as much as you really allow them to by over-feeding or letting dust algae grow. To me, they are good indicators of aquarium health and will reflect your maintenance.
tlyons01 and tlyons01 like this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Nice tank! Should be a real stunner when it's finished filling in. Love the .gifs too. You'll have to tell me how you did that!
Thanks man, means a lot coming from you! I'm pretty new on this forum, but I already saw your tank journal, and you've had some amazing setups - You'll have to let me in on how to get those amazing reds out!

The gifs unfortunately were not as easy to do as I had hoped. Originally I just assumed there was some sort of .gif export setting in iMovie, but ended up importing the videos to Photoshop and then exporting them as .gifs via the "Save for web" option.

Regarding the snails; I'm perfectly happy to leave them there (as long as they don't munch on my leaves), I do have a bit of algae at the moment, so they're more than welcome. I'm just wondering if they're an indicator that I should be feeding less, or are they just multiplying so rapidly because of the algae providing an abundant food source?
crazydaz and crazydaz like this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 12:12 AM
Returning. Videotapes.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz
Nuts! I don't have Photoshop, so I guess I'll have to stick with pictures and the occasional video. Oh well...it was worth asking.

To answer your question: it could be, and likely is, "both." I feed my fish every other day, once, and only as much as they can eat for five to ten minutes. So, if you are feeding multiple times per day, I would cut that to once per day. Many fish in the wild don't eat daily, much less multiple time per day. In addition to any leftovers the snails may be munching on, they also are grazing on the dust algae. Snails do not typically eat hair algae, green spot, or bush algae species unless it is dying or dead, and the same goes for plants. I've never seen a snail eat living plant tissue; rather, they will eat a dead or dying leaf off of a plant, if anything. Nonetheless, they will graze on dust algae. You will have to play with your CO2 (probably increase it), your fertilizer regiment (less ferts less often), and or your lighting (decrease the amount, or the time the lights are on). You may wish to increase your water changes if toying with those three variables doesn't eventually lead to less algae.

On a related note, I have found that most of my tanks go through different algae phases until the tank reaches maturity, which often takes months. Usually, it starts of with dust algae, then goes to hair algae/Chlado, then to Black Beard Algae, then finally to GSA before disappearing (visibly, of course....algae is ALWAYS there, as you know). However, you can limit this by making sure your tank has plenty CO2, decrease the photoperiod and then gradually start adding more time back to it, and decreasing food and/or ferts and then gradually increase the ferts. I don't follow specific fert schedules anymore; they never worked for me, and led to more problems than solutions. I fertilize when needed, and once the tank is mature with plenty of plants, then you can dose with more frequency as there will be enough plant mass to uptake those ferts, thereby leaving less for algae species to utilize.

Just my 2 cents.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 04:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbeDall View Post
Plants:
Rotala Rotundifolia
Ludwigia Palustris

3 Weeks
Lovely tank!

Please identify the location of these plants. I am looking to buy some red plants. I have seen Ludwigia Palustris as a dark red purple and as green. Thus uncertain if it is actually a red plant.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Lovely tank!

Please identify the location of these plants. I am looking to buy some red plants. I have seen Ludwigia Palustris as a dark red purple and as green. Thus uncertain if it is actually a red plant.
Thanks Going left to right, back to front:
Background plants:
- Ludwigia Palustris
- Rotala Macrandra
- Rotala Rotundifolia

Middleground:
- Hydrocotyle tripartita
- Rotala 'Bonsai'
- Nymphaea lotus

Foreground:
- Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini'
- Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
- Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini'

So the Ludwigia is the one in the back left corner, as you can see on the first picture it started out as having big green round leaves, but it really quickly became very dark red / purple-ish with more pointed leaves. I'll get a picture up for you asap.
neogeo20041 and neogeo20041 like this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Tie some string or fishing line to a thin slice of english cucumber and throw it in the tank before going to bed.
By morning almost all the trumpet snails will be on the cucumber, then pull it out by the string.
Hilde and Hilde like this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
The Ludwigia is in the back left corner. It started out as having big green round leaves, but it really quickly became very dark red / purple-ish with more pointed leaves. I'll get a picture up for you asap.
Could you get a pic of the Rotala Macrandra and Rotala Rotundifolia also?
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Could you get a pic of the Rotala Macrandra and Rotala Rotundifolia also?
Here you go. I don't know if it comes across that well in the photos, but I have to say the Macrandra is by far my favorite, such beautiful leaves, and a very delicate color - and from what I can see some people manage to get it insanely red.

The rotundifolia has changed a bit from green to slightly yellow/orangish some places, but I can't get it to go very red.

The ludwigia has a really intense deep red / purple-ish color but doesn't grow as dense as the other two. Rotundifolia is by far the densest so far.

Rotundifolia:

Macrandra:

Ludwigia:

Top down Rotundifolia:
Hilde and Hilde like this.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 06:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Can't see the pics for some reason :-(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Retired
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Algae Grower

Pictures works for me. Really nice also.

Let me ask, what Kessil are you using? How much did you pay on each? Do you think 24"length (60cm), one Kessil would be enough?

Thanks and congratulations for your tank!

Keep it simple!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMartins View Post
Pictures works for me. Really nice also.

Let me ask, what Kessil are you using? How much did you pay on each? Do you think 24"length (60cm), one Kessil would be enough?

Thanks and congratulations for your tank!
Thanks I ended up paying quite a bit for my Kessils since they seem more expensive in Europe. Around 650 euro for 2 kessils + controller (found a package offer), so I guess that's like 700 USD or so.

One kessil might be okay at that length (My tank is 80cm / 31,5"), but you'll probably have your plants growing in towards the middle, which can end up looking a bit ugly if you have a lot of stem plants in the sides.

Here's a photo from when I just had one Kessil over (not a great photo but the only one I had before the trim) you can see how the Ludwigia and R. Rotundifolia are leaning heavily inwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Can't see the pics for some reason :-(
Hmm that's weird, give a try now. Otherwise this link should work for you: http://cloud.ubbedall.com/340I170E1i1l

Last edited by UbbeDall; 07-27-2016 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Wording
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Here you go. I don't know if it comes across that well in the photos, but I have to say the Macrandra is by far my favorite, such beautiful leaves, and a very delicate color - and from what I can see some people manage to get it insanely red.

The rotundifolia has changed a bit from green to slightly yellow/orangish some places, but I can't get it to go very red.

The ludwigia has a really intense deep red / purple-ish color but doesn't grow as dense as the other two. Rotundifolia is by far the densest so far.
The Macrandra is my favorite too.

I have not seen the rotundifolia red, just an orange.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode