• German Blue Ram x2
  • Scalare angels x3
  • Cardinal Tetras x15
  • Pseudomugil Furcatus x4
  • Oto x5
  • Amano Shrimp x30
  • *Soon* Galaxy Turquoise Discus x3, Cobalt x1, Diamond Snakeskin x1

Latest FTS 8/14/16

Everything is growing incredibly well. These pictures were taken after doing a significant trimming and it still looks overgrown compared to the original pictures!

Original Post

I've had the tank up and running for about a month now and can say I am extremely happy with the choice of going with a redsea setup versus a more traditional plantedtank vendor. The overflow/sump system has been a huge upgrade over the usual canister filtration I am used to. I was afraid of a tank this size would need 2 canister filters and didn't want 4 tube connections going through the tank. The pump on the overflow return provides plenty of the flow and I installed a split nozzle that distributes the co2 across both sides of the tank. Right now I'm dealing with the usual diatoms found in new setups which is pretty annoying but to be expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plantedtank2.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	654209  

Name:	Plantedtank.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	654217  

Fissure, Fissure, LRJ and 5 others like this.

Last edited by pdela; 08-15-2016 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Added plant and fish lists
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 03:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
RedSea Reefer 350 - Planted version

Stunning tank! It's sort of jungley but also looks scaped as well, and not just random plants chucked everywhere. Very good job. What's the stock list? I can see some Cardinals, Pseudomugils and an angel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Stunning tank! It's sort of jungley but also looks scaped as well, and not just random plants chucked everywhere. Very good job. What's the stock list? I can see some Cardinals, Pseudomugils and an angel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks and good eye! There are 15 Cardinals, 4 pseudomugil furcata, 3 tiny angels that I am growing out, 5 Ottos, and 30 amano shrimp.

While there was an attempt to scape the tank, I was more concerned with getting a plant mass in place to help with stability. I am actually pretty happy with how its turned out so far but I do plan on rearranging many of the plants as they grow out.
Opare and Opare like this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 04:12 PM
mot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
This is an awesome setup. I just bought a RedSea Reefer 525XL. Im debating if I will remove the black vinyl on the back glass? Have you considered it?

-JP
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The Jungle stuff is the best

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
This is an awesome setup. I just bought a RedSea Reefer 525XL. Im debating if I will remove the black vinyl on the back glass? Have you considered it?
No, I love the black background. I feel like it helps create the illusion of more shadows between the plants, giving the scape more depth. Also the tank has black silicon which I was really worried about at first vs clear but I feel like it just accents the black background instead of being a visible eyesore.

I also plan on trying out discus and the tanks I've seen with black backgrounds really allow the discus to stand out.
LRJ and LRJ like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 06:05 PM
Planted Member

Beautiful tank. Red Sea's stuff is really great quality - I had wanted to go with the 525 XL when I set up my big tank, but sadly it wouldn't fit the way my plumbing comes out of the wall - obviously should have chosen the tank/stand setup before doing the plumbing - doh!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Small Update: added 5 discus. I've had them for about 2 1/2 weeks now and so far so good. Eating everything I throw at them from blood worms to pellets.

The tank is doing fantastic. I've got the lights down to only 35% power and diatoms have finally started to back off. No other algae issues. Plants are growing like weeds, the entire background has been covered and I need to do an intense trimming that I've been holding off. Once I get a chance to hack everything back a bit, I'll post a new full tank shot.

Picture of 4 of the 5 discus. Ended up with a Blue diamond, 2 galaxy turquoise, 1 leopard, and a cobalt that didn't make it into the picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullSizeRender (20).jpg
Views:	178
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	660017  

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

added some new pictures after attempting to hack back all the new growth.
Opare and Opare like this.

Last edited by pdela; 08-15-2016 at 12:25 AM. Reason: spelling
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 02:44 AM
Algae Grower

How are your discus doing with the CO2? Many years ago I tried discus in a 90g planted tank with CO2 and the discus would always gasp. The CO2 seemed to be a waste since I had to make a lot of surface agitation to keep the O2 levels high and the discus happy.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrid View Post
How are your discus doing with the CO2? Many years ago I tried discus in a 90g planted tank with CO2 and the discus would always gasp. The CO2 seemed to be a waste since I had to make a lot of surface agitation to keep the O2 levels high and the discus happy.

The discus adapted very well. One thing I've noticed with just about any new fish I introduce to any of my co2 injected tanks is if I acclimate them with the co2 running, no matter how slow (using the drip method) they will always gasp when I first introduce them. What I've started doing now is, turn off the co2 and dim the lights to a negligible amount of PAR (so no algae issues happen) the day I am receiving the fish and then acclimate them. Once they've spent a day getting used to the new water conditions, I ramp up the co2 over the course of the next day to the levels I need it. This way, I've never had new fish gasping.

I've found the discus to be extremely durable, even when adjusting co2 levels to find what my upper threshold was the Psuedomugils were always more sensitive than the discus.

I'm still very paranoid about the discus tho because I've read how difficult they can be to keep in planted tanks as juvis but so far so good. 3 weeks now, all are eating to the point where they're stomachs look like they are going to erupt.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode