3Likes
  • 2 Post By Willcooper
  • 4 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
20 gallon long lowish tech

I completely tore down my old 20 gallon and restarted. I reused the ecocomplete from the old 20 as it is well matured.

Equipment:

30" finnex planted plus 15-16" from substrate.
Aquaclear 50 HOB
Aqueon 20 gallon long
Ecocomplete
Low level EI dosing
Co2 booster

Plants/hard scape

2 medium size pieces of spider wood
Java Fern
Christmas moss
Anubias nana
S Repens
AR Mini
Lobelis Cardinalis
Dwarf sword

Fish/Inverts (current)

Siamese Algae Eater X1
Olive nerite snail x2

Future: this is where im unsure of which way to go. I will for sure get at least 6 Amano shrimp. Possibly will add some dwarf corries (maybe 6 or so). I would like some color and activity in this tank and am considering rummynose tetra. I would like something a little different though.
I have also considered pseudomugil furcatus. I love the way they look and love that they are not overly common. Let me know what y'all think and also about fish selection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1468723791500.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	653273  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1468725838653.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	653289  

Opare and Opare like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to StrungOut
How about blue axelrodi?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
How about blue axelrodi?
That's an interesting look. Kind of a weird color. Thanks for the suggestion. Have you kept them?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to StrungOut
Yup, they do fine in hard or soft water
I have two left and they're in a good environment, bought 5 originally, co2 gassed 3 of them
colors of blue to normal flash of these guys, they really one up the neon tetra

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm leaning heavily toward 6 or so blood fin tetra with one or two German blue Rams with some amanos. Any words of caution around the Rams in a 20? I have seen a bunch of people keeping them in smallish tanks like this online but I have never kept them before so I'm still debating.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 03:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 gallon long lowish tech

Really like this scape man. I second going with the P. furcatus they are awesome looking fish. Can't help with the rams though, never kept 'em. As for going with Bloodfins, I prefer keeping smaller fish to make the tank look bigger, but it's up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Really like this scape man. I second going with the P. furcatus they are awesome looking fish. Can't help with the rams though, never kept 'em. As for going with Bloodfins, I prefer keeping smaller fish to make the tank look bigger, but it's up to you.

What are you thinking as smaller? Bloodfins get to about 2" right? I have also been thinking rummynose and I know they are about 2" as well.

What does everyone think about chili raspboras? Do they really need their own species tank? My sae is friendly for the most part. Would they do ok with a German blue ram?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 07:01 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Ember tetras, flame tetras and good old neon tetras are another options.

12++ dwarf cories (c. pegmaeus or c. hastatus) - tiny but a lot of fun to watch.

2 German Blue Rams would be just fine in 20L but finding healthy ones seems to be almost impossible in the last year. I've talked to a lot of LFS and breeders and everybody (in my area) are having problems keeping them alive (some strain of hole in the head going around and they die in a couple of weeks). If you really really want them, better check around and pay a premium.

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 07:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah when I say small, I mean like Ember Tetras etc. Once you get to 30 gallons I think Rummynose (5cm) sizes start to look better, because you can keep large schools of them. This is just a personal thing though.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Yeah when I say small, I mean like Ember Tetras etc. Once you get to 30 gallons I think Rummynose (5cm) sizes start to look better, because you can keep large schools of them. This is just a personal thing though.

Wow embers are tiny. Just not a big fan of them. I get what your saying about at 30 gallons 2" schooling fish start to look better. I think I'll hold off on rummys until I set up my 40 I have sitting in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Ember tetras, flame tetras and good old neon tetras are another options.

12++ dwarf cories (c. pegmaeus or c. hastatus) - tiny but a lot of fun to watch.

2 German Blue Rams would be just fine in 20L but finding healthy ones seems to be almost impossible in the last year. I've talked to a lot of LFS and breeders and everybody (in my area) are having problems keeping them alive (some strain of hole in the head going around and they die in a couple of weeks). If you really really want them, better check around and pay a premium.
I may end up paying for premium Rams. I have been reading posts to that effect regarding Rams as well. I'm liking celestial pearl danios. I need to find some to see in person to get a better idea of them. It's nice that they apparently stay at about 1".
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 08:50 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
You need a magnifying glass to see any markings on a CPD

Not to push anything, but embers' color is much brighter in a planted tank then in a store. They are pretty spunky and inquisitive and fun to watch. Maybe I should take pictures of mine.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
You need a magnifying glass to see any markings on a CPD

Not to push anything, but embers' color is much brighter in a planted tank then in a store. They are pretty spunky and inquisitive and fun to watch. Maybe I should take pictures of mine.
Yeah please do!

I just had a tank with cherry barbs and I think that's prob why I'm hesitant to go with another all red fish at the moment.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got impatient and bought from local options. I put in 4 blood fin tetra and will double that soon. Instead of a gbr I went with a pretty peach color veil tail betta. Not really the centerpiece fish I was planning but I do love them. I'll post a couple pics later

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode