Monbicon's 45cm square tank iwagumi - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By monbicon
  • 2 Post By monbicon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Monbicon's 45cm square tank iwagumi

I've been a spectator of this hobby for many years, but now I'm finally having a go myself.

I've always enjoyed these planted tank journals so I thought I'd share and post my own too.

I chose a 45cm square ADA tank, which turned out to be more challenging to plan a scape for than I realised.

What made it more challenging is I didn't have much rock. But after breaking up some pieces and a lot of rearranging my partner and I got a scape we were pretty happy with.

I used a bottom layer of 9L ADA AS and then put 9L AS Powder on top.
This made it pretty hard to modify the scape later without mixing the two substrates up. I regretted not just getting all powder type so that I could have played with rearranging the soil in different slopes.

The hardscape

I had to break up some of the plainer rocks with a hammer to make little rocks to make the layout work.

The plant plan, monte carlo and some hairgrass

This is going to be a learning experience and hopefully I can come to you guys for help when I mess up

Hardware:

ADA Tank & Stand
Do!Aqua glass Lily pipes
Eheim 2215 filter
2.6kg c02 keg
VIV diffuser
9L ADA AS
9L ADA AS Powder
Finnex Planted + LED Lighting
Hydor inline heater
Seiryu stone
TaylorTurner and TaylorTurner like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Looking good. Nice start
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

I planted and filled the tank 5 days ago. After just 5 days the water has cleared up and the monte carlo is sending up fresh stalks all over the tank.

I was worried that the Planted Plus LED wouldn't provide enough light at the front and back of the tank for good growth, but this doesn't seem to be a problem for the monte carlo. Fresh shoots are popping up all over the front and back of the tank, right up agains the glass.

The hairgrass shows no change. I did trim the hairgrass before planting (it was long), but when do you think I should trim it again to encourage new growth (outwards rather than upwards)?
TaylorTurner and TaylorTurner like this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 04:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
For me hairgrass usually takes a week to start sending out runners. I don't trim it until I see a few runners come out. Once I see them come out I cut them down to maybe 1/2 inch or so and they start spreading like a weed.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 03:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Monbicon's 45cm square tank iwagumi

Good scape, I would've gone for some colourful stems at the back but to each their own. Also, I would advise keeping the substrate line at the front straight as having it slanted can be a bit distracting, but it's a bit late now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode