75g low tech soil tank redux - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
75g low tech soil tank redux

This is my second attempt at a soil substrate low tech planted Aquarium. The only other experience I have is with my 29 gallon sand substrate tank, but it's not heavily planted and wasn't set up initially for plants and has to be redone. It was a fish only tank and it started with trying one plant in the tank and went on from there, my interest was peaked. At times I paid more attention to the plants rather than the fish. Seeing new growth rather than fulfillment of the prophecy of the aquatic dept at my local Petco "don't buy plants, they will just die", felt good.

Instead of tearing down the 29 I decided to go bigger first to a 75 gal. That way I have a place for my fish to go when I do get to the 29.

I made a lot of rushed decisions and cut some corners in my first attempt and I did not research the project thoroughly. I was very impatient. The majority of my research was directed to LED lighting and I relied heavily on what I learned from YouTube and Dustin's fish tanks in regards to substrate. I came upon this forum when i started having problems and I'm glad I did. Something good came from the disaster.

I used Miracle-Gro organic Choice potting mix with a little backyard dirt mixed in and added red clay, crushed shell and imitation salt for potassium. I made the substrate to high in a lot of areas and ended up with a buildup of gas all throughout the substrate. Some areas were so bad that it looked like little volcanoes forming with built-up pressure.

This inspired a thread which was me reaching out for help. During that time I learned a lot from the people that participated, especially @thedood who shared a lot of his knowledge with me and had an unbelievable amount of patience for my many many questions. I decided to tear it down and start over.

Lighting 4 bulb T8 shop light
Currently running 2 6500k bulbs and one Philips Plant and Aquarium bulb 3200k, leaving one bulb slot unused. Researching LEDs and reading the product reviews on them inspired me to use an inexpensive shop light and build my own LED lights for another project.

Substrate
2 parts sifted top soil "premium top soil" with sphagnum peat moss from Lowe's
2 parts backyard dirt
1 part Special Kitty cat litter soaked in organic garden lime/water solution for 24 hours
Cat litter on bottom

Roughly a pound of Mexican red pottery clay, 30 root tabs,

Substrate is no more that 1.5 inches high beneath the cap layer

Capping substrate
Black Diamond blast sand

Filtration
Jebao 404 canister filter
(Floss, bio media, Purigen)

Heater, air pump, stone, thermo

Last edited by Monrankim; 07-08-2016 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Link fix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thedood, thedood and Tannerleo like this.

Projects

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 02:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
That looks fantastic.

75G Seachem Flourite

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's been 4 days and the tank is halfway cycled. I used an established filter which sped up the process. On day one (day after setup) I tested the water and I got the highest ammonia reading I have ever seen. I did a 90% water change and the next day did a 50%. When I saw the ammonia stabilize at 2ppm I stopped with the water changes for the time being. Day 4 today the ammonia is at 0 and nitrites 1.-2. And nitrates are at 10-20 ppm. I might leave it alone a while longer and let the cycle take its course.

The tank is quite empty right now but I am very happy with how things are going. I am doing a lot of thinking of how I want the layout and I want to take my time because I don't want to have any regrets. In the previous attempt at this tank, a friend of mine purchased a large amount of plants from my favorite LFS (Sea Life in St. Petersburg) and gave me a lot of plants to fill up the tank. Most of them were not right for a low tech setup or did not suit my taste. It is far more enjoyable to choose every addition of your aqua scape than to dump a bulk lot of plants in your tank to start. To be honest I'm not really sure about the vals and where they are.

Right now I am waiting for stabilization and for the plants I'm starting with to bounce back. Everything else is on the drawing board (plants and inhabitants)

Plants :
Cryptocoryne (s) red and bronze Wentii
Vals (jungle and italian(?)
Wisteria
Java Fern
A mystery plant group from the last tank. I haven't figured out what it is yet. It came in the bulk order mentioned above.

Projects

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
That looks fantastic.
Thanks. Your assistance and knowledge were a big part of getting this started right

Sent from my Z813 using Tapatalk

Projects

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I just pass on what others have put out there. I appreciate it but as they say we stand on the shoulders of giants.

75G Seachem Flourite

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yesterday I turned off the air stone in both tanks. I read that one of the benefits of using a soil (not mineralized completely) substrate, at least in the beginning, is natural co2 from the decaying organics. What made me use it to begin with, was my first experience with a soil tank where I had problems with low oxygen and plant melting, apparently from the accelerated amount of anaerobic bacterial activity in the substrate. Then I was using mostly potting mix with chicken litter in it and the amount of material breaking down in the substrate was much greater. Now that I am using a different recipe this time with less organics breaking down I thought I would see how it goes and keep an eye on things for a few days. I would like to harness any additional co2 that I can while it lasts and not drive it off with an air stone if it is not necessary to do so.

I will have to keep an especially close eye in this tank for the sake of the fish.

Sent from my Z813 using Tapatalk

Projects

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I had to turn the air stone back on. I noticed that the Angelfish were staying at the surface a lot and it seemed like it was due to low o2. There seems to be a lot of controversy over air stones. Some say they do very little for o2, drive off extra co2 and equalize the o2/co2 with that of the rooms atmosphere. Some say that it doesn't make a difference with low tech but a soil substrate is not low-tech like a sand/gravel only tank is low-tech. Sand/gravel doesn't produce co2. With in hours of turning the air back on the fish stopped hanging at the surface. Perhaps when the plants have had time to settle in and/or when there are more of them, the o2 in the tank will be more plentiful rendering my air stone pointless. I do not see many air stones in planted tanks but I think I need one at the moment.

Projects

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 06:27 PM
Algae Grower

I run an air stone hooked to a sponge filters in my 75 high tech and there has been no difference in C02 usage with or without an air stone. I don't think c02 and 02 compete directly, atleast In my experienceson they havnt.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have made a few minor adjustments to the scape that I felt were necessary. I have a glass brace that is in the center of the tank. The glass is not very clear and I assume it will effect the par value of the light in that area. I will just make sure whatever I plant there is a true low light plant. I moved my S. Repens over to another area. I was happy to see how well the Repens were rooting when I moved them. That will be the last time I have to move anything hopefully because I would like to leave everything alone at this point besides new plantings.

I have made some additions to the flora :

-Argentine Sword (Echinodorus Argentinensis). I had this plant in my 29 gallon tank before I redid it. It was not doing well in that tank and I think it will grow nicely in this setup. From what I have read about this plant it sounds like it can grow very fast and large in a rich substrate. Hopefully it doesn't outgrow the tank or shade the other plants to much as it grows. We will see.

-Amazon Sword
-Cryptocoryne Wentii Red (a fav)

-Mystery plant - I stopped in at Petco to look at the "loose assorted plants" and one caught my attention. Petco will have plants with no name or information to go with them. It was a gamble but the stems were only a few bucks. I floated them and planted them soon after when the rooted. I have high hopes for them because they look fantastic. If they work out, I would like to plant more them.

I also attached my Java Ferns to the larger piece of driftwood which added some needed dimension to the scape. I am starting to like how the wood fits in with everything. I plan to attach Anubias to the smaller piece of driftwood on the right. I haven't made up my mind yet on which species of Anubius though.
Tannerleo likes this.

Projects

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgriffith View Post
I run an air stone hooked to a sponge filters in my 75 high tech and there has been no difference in C02 usage with or without an air stone. I don't think c02 and 02 compete directly, atleast In my experienceson they havnt.
Perhaps it has more to do with surface agitation in my case? Could you explain your air stone/sponge filter a bit more? Does it produce surface agitation?

Projects

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 07:04 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monrankim View Post
Quote:
Perhaps it has more to do with surface agitation in my case? Could you explain your air stone/sponge filter a bit more? Does it produce surface agitation?

It produces very little agitation, it's just a cheap sponge filter from amazon hooked up to an adjustable fluval air pump... I just turn the dial on the air pump till itshe low enuff I don't have a ton of disruption, but I still get the air and the benefit ofrom a sponge filter...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14686920900141525847534_1468692119432.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	653105  

Click image for larger version

Name:	14686921629421405532863_1468692180271.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	653113  

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
It produces very little agitation, it's just a cheap sponge filter from amazon hooked up to an adjustable fluval air pump... I just turn the dial on the air pump till itshe low enuff I don't have a ton of disruption, but I still get the air and the benefit ofrom a sponge filter...
I think I am going to do something similar, thanks for the idea. Is that a sword?
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 08:23 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monrankim View Post
Quote:
I think I am going to do something similar, thanks for the idea. Is that a sword?
Yes it is, I've had it for about a year trimming every other week or so. I was going for a home tree kinda look, the discus like to hide in it.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Yes it is, I've had it for about a year trimming every other week or so. I was going for a home tree kinda look, the discus like to hide in it.
You definitely achieved that look of a tree, nice!

Projects

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode