55 gallon reboot - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
55 gallon reboot

I started my 55 gallon planted tank in April of last year and had it setup for the same way for awhile. Recently I changed everything out including the substrate, hardscape, plants, stocking and lighting.

So here is currently in my tank:
Aqueon 55 gallon 48x12x21
Finnex 24/7
Eheim Jager 150 watt heater
Aquaclear 70 filters x 2
75 lbs Top Fin Black gravel
10 Neon Tetras

I haven't been able to do much in the way of aquascaping, as it is a little hard around here to find plants and I am still soaking up my hardscape at the moment, but here is a few pics.

Outside after the spray paint background had dried.

I'm kinda bummed that I can't find hardly any plants that I'm looking for around here.. but so far this is what I'm working with. I'd like to do lots of Crypts and Rotala as I have had lots of success with them in the past.

Not really sure what this plant is, but I picked it up tonight from a local retailer which had new growth coming up under just plain gravel with barely any lighting. Any idea what it might be?

Crypt Wendtii that I picked up as well... Always like using this plant as it grows so easy generally for me.

Hardscape.. not sure how I'm gonna use these pieces yet exactly but I really like these pieces.

Both of them together to form one piece

Now after all that, here's a shot that I tried to get of the Neon Tetras. I'm not sure if I am gonna stick with them or not. I might re-home them and add a big school of Bloodfin tetras.

So there is one thing that does concern me... Using plain gravel. I'd still like to get some nutrients down at the plants roots especially the crypts. I'd like to use Flourish tabs, but any time I've ever used them in the past, I didn't see any change in growth. I used to use Flourite gravel, but it used to cause the most horrible algae problems in my tank. And ever since I've removed it, I've had no algae problems.

So any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
O+ root tabs are my go to, but generally speaking, fish poop is good enough for slow growing plants like crypts in a low tech tank. That light will likely grow lots of algae in your tank without some dimming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode