Bear's 29g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bear's 29g

So with Petco's Dollar Per Gallon sale coming up on Monday (6/27), I figured it's time to upgrade.

I have a 5g and 10g I'll be condensing into it. My livestock I have are:
3 Bettas FEMALE, one in the 5g formerly under quarantine.
5 Neon Tetras
3 Black Racer Nerites (They be the Frijoles Trio)
1 Horned Nerite

THE PLAN:

Specs

Tank: 29g
Light: Finnex Planted+
Filter: Hydor 150, 20-40 gallons
Substrate: Eco Complete + Sand
Hardscape: Driftwood and left over stone
CO2: DIY, get 2 paintball canisters for interchangeability.

Additional Stock:
Khuli Loaches x6
Shadow Catfish (H. Flavus) x6

I was going to use a Planted+ 24/7, but I've heard alot of negative reviews for the 24/7 mode, might as well NOT spend extra money on a feature I won't use.

I've heard good things about Hydor filters, a local aquarist hobby shop said that Hydor is on par with Fluval performance wise.

I want a substrate that won't lose it's shape and last a long time, so Eco Complete seems like a good choice since this'll be a long term setup. But for the sand I want to use something fine enough for Khuli Loaches to sift through.

Catfish are usually not recommended for community setups, but Shadow Cats are chill little nano fish that ignore other tank mates. In fact, during the day they spend most of their time hiding and become most active at dawn and dusk. Though they are from Malaysia, they share the identical conditions Rams, Tetras, Khulis, and even shrimp enjoy: tannins, leaf litter, soft(180ppm at max), slightly acidic water.

Design

I'm planning on doing a setup where two hills (or a U shape, I dunno) flank the sides of the tank, following the 2/3rd's rule, made of leftover stone from my other tanks and some nice drift wood covered in True Weeping Moss as it approaches the substrate. if I can, I want to put a sand bed for the future Khulis between the two hills and extend it out into the front open area in the center of the tank.

As for plants I want to use:
hemianthus glomeratus
'True' or 'Mini' Weeping Moss
Some species of Rotala (Butterfly, Colorata, etc)
Buces (looking at blue species like Arrogant Blue, Hades, maybe some mini species)
Anubias Nana

As for other species I have no idea what could go with these and I'd love to get some suggestions.

I LOVE SCREEEEMPS!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBear View Post
I'm planning on doing a setup where two hills (or a U shape, I dunno) flank the sides of the tank, following the 2/3rd's rule. I want to put a sand bed for the future Khulis between the two hills and extend it out into the front open area in the center of the tank.

As for plants I want to use:
hemianthus glomeratus
'Some species of Rotala (Butterfly, Colorata, etc)
I am planning to do something similar. Can't wait to see the end results. Do you have a drawn up plan?

I feel scapes give an illusion of depth when items are arranged as a 3 dimension architectural drawing is done. For example starting point of 1st pic is from the right front end and ending point is the left back end.

Here are a few tanks for inspiration I have found. I am leaning towards the 1st one because I will be using river sand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aqua ukaps Juwel Rio 125.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	656825  

Name:	Aqua mysticalnet 30g.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	656857  

Name:	Aqua Entry #628.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	657025  

Last edited by Hilde; 07-31-2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: ADDED A PICTURE

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode