180 Gallon Craigslist Tank Build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
180 Gallon Craigslist Tank Build

Hello Everyone,

I am picking up a 180 gallon tank, stand and eheim 2260 filter off craigslist this weekend for only $275. The seller originally listed it for $300 and I was able to negotiate a little. However, the tank has two overflow boxes, of which I am not familiar with. The seller used a closed loop system with his eheim filter. Again, something I am not familiar with. Is it worth it to me to close the bulkheads with a cap and use the canister filter as is? Or should I create a closed loop system as he did and connect it to the filter? Any ideas, suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated!

I plan on planting this tank, a lot of jungle vals, two amazon sword plants, anubias and dwarf sag. Any other easy care recommended plants? Not sure if I want to go hightech on this tank. I plan on using some eco-complete or mineralized topsoil -- thoughts? I will be capping with Black Diamond Blasting sand though, 50 lbs for $8 cannot beat it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Basically, the closed loop system is fine. I'd use it. The overflow works as it normally does, keeping the display tank at a set level and skimming water off the top. The canister sucks water from the overflow and returns it as normal. The overflows can hide your heaters which is nice. The downside is that if the display tank water level falls below the overflow (AKA evaporating a ton of water), the canister can suck air and damage itself. You shouldn't run into this issue though. To block off the bulkhead, just use a piece of glass the same thickness as the bottom of the tank and a couple inches larger than the hole. Silicone it in place and allow it to fully cure.

I don't like anubias personally. I'm a bigger fan of crypts. Anubias grows very slow and always ends up with algae in my tanks. I would keep it low tech. Floating plants are a great addition, such as frogbit. Also, look into wisteria and water sprite. Both are easy to care for and come in a variety of shapes. Very fast growers too. For the substrate, I'd go with just black diamond blasting sand. Add in some root tabs and never look back. Most plants absorb plenty of nutrients from the water column anyway. Capping substrate can be messy if you move plants and is going to be more expensive than sand alone. That's my reasoning at least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for the suggestions and Ideas. I have never planted crypts before, any recommendations on large or lush ones?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 03:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel12490 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions and Ideas. I have never planted crypts before, any recommendations on large or lush ones?
The Wendtii variety crypts can be hit or miss. I have bought them from different sources. Some remain small and turn slightly red. Others grow taller than big sword plants with big chocolate-red colored leaves. I've found buying reliably identified varieties to be somewhat of a crap shoot. But they all grow very well.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Also, does anyone have any advice or guidance for creating a closed loop system with two overflow boxes (drilled on the bottom) and two drilled holes on the back top?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmnash View Post
The Wendtii variety crypts can be hit or miss. I have bought them from different sources. Some remain small and turn slightly red. Others grow taller than big sword plants with big chocolate-red colored leaves. I've found buying reliably identified varieties to be somewhat of a crap shoot. But they all grow very well.
There are many varieties! That's for sure. Also, different conditions and lighting affects growth tremendously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel12490 View Post
Also, does anyone have any advice or guidance for creating a closed loop system with two overflow boxes (drilled on the bottom) and two drilled holes on the back top?
You plug the intake of your canister into the overflow box bulkheads on the bottom and the return into the holes drilled on the top. Fill the tank and then turn on the canister. If there are two sets of holes, it was probably using two canisters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode