180g planted tank - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Hopefully GLA and LEDGroupBuy will ship my orders soon. Both been sitting in Awaiting Shipment for a bit now. I want my toys to play with !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 02:24 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Very interesting build you have going here. The possibilities are endless!

Having used a lot of BD blasting sand myself, one thing that bothers me about the fact you didnt rinse it. The filter is clearing it up alright, but this is just dust off the top. What about all the stuff further down? With this much sand, that is a lot of stuff! May not be a problem at all, probably inert, but just the idea of all that still being in there...eew.

I made the mistake of not rinsing it one time on a 10 gallon tank. Took forever to clear up. Of course I didnt have a sock filter running. Finally wound up basically giving it a thorough rinse after the fact. Stir stir stir, change water, repeat repeat repeat.

Only saying this because now is the time to fix it, if you decide to do so.

Re the reactor, that little pump isnt going to cut it, nor is that one reactor by itself. 300 gallons of water is going to take a lot of CO2. Most sump people with tanks this size use a needle wheel with the co2 fed directly into the pump. The pump chops the CO2 into a fine mist, then going to the reactor where it further dissolves, or just have the needle wheel by itself feeding back into the sump somehow.

Im not a sump guy so cant offer you more specifics. Im sure you can google around some and find out more. Go to barrreport.com and search something like "needle wheel sump co2" probably find a good bit of info.

Looking forward to reading more

post #33 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I moved the sand bed around a bit with my hands for past few days. It's mostly ok now. But yeah a little dust comes every time you disturb it.

One thing I was thinking about doing is putting a powerhead inside of the reactor, but still can't really play with any of it till i get the parts lol. Although I'm pretty sure that single pump that reactor uses would not be enough to mix it in, flow wise I think it would be fine. So if I can create a storm inside with a powerhead that may work.

As far as those pumps I have SRO3000 skimmer with a pump like that if nothing else I could use it, although I'd rather sell the skimmer

Thanks!

|

post #34 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 08:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post

Re the reactor, that little pump isnt going to cut it, nor is that one reactor by itself. 300 gallons of water is going to take a lot of CO2. Most sump people with tanks this size use a needle wheel with the co2 fed directly into the pump. The pump chops the CO2 into a fine mist, then going to the reactor where it further dissolves, or just have the needle wheel by itself feeding back into the sump somehow.

Im not a sump guy so cant offer you more specifics. Im sure you can google around some and find out more. Go to barrreport.com and search something like "needle wheel sump co2" probably find a good bit of info.

Looking forward to reading more
wish I knew this earlier..
I've got 2 huge cerges style reactors running in parallel both at 1.5 BPS
but this setup kind of works, bigger is better with these big tanks.

also looking forward to the rest of the build and how you're going to dissolve all the CO2

I might be dutch but I don't have a dutch scape.

post #35 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sounds like a nice setup, in the process of setting up a 180 as well. With your Apex, how do you plan to use the DOS Units? I was thinking about buying 2 of them, but it seemed like it would be a mess to figure out how much dry ferts I would need to mix. Have you figured that out yet?
post #36 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...r/home/pps-pro gives you info on how to mix ferts and dose. So you only would need two pumps. And really as long as you know how much dry ferts you use weekly or daily should be easy to convert to mls. Say you use 1 teaspoon a day, add 100 teaspoons to container add 1000ml of water (assuming that would actually dissolve...) you would be dosing 10ml to get that 1 teaspoon out each day. The actual dosing amounts DOS will figure out by itself, all you tell it is I need 10 ml dosed from 8am to 9am and it will create proper program to do that.

|

post #37 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidendex View Post
https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...r/home/pps-pro gives you info on how to mix ferts and dose. So you only would need two pumps. And really as long as you know how much dry ferts you use weekly or daily should be easy to convert to mls. Say you use 1 teaspoon a day, add 100 teaspoons to container add 1000ml of water (assuming that would actually dissolve...) you would be dosing 10ml to get that 1 teaspoon out each day. The actual dosing amounts DOS will figure out by itself, all you tell it is I need 10 ml dosed from 8am to 9am and it will create proper program to do that.
Thanks for the link and the info. Do you also have the DOS Dual reservoir for each of yours? I assume I would need to buy 2 of the reservoir, which is total of 4 chambers and 2 of the DOS units which is 4 pumps?
DŌS DUAL RESERVOIR
post #38 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well if you're just dosing ferts, 2 pumps and one reservoir is enough. I do have two units, but I see no use for second one as of now, so put it in storage.

As far as those containers, I'd say it's a waste of money, especially for ferts which you would dose very little off. Just get 1 gallon jug or something and check on it once a month and top off

|

post #39 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

CO2 system have arrived and tank is filled. Now I need to go to Lowe's and get parts to connect it all to the reactor and see if I can make it work. Also would need to look up how much CO2 I actually need to inject lol.

|

post #40 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well did a test run of the CO2 reactor setup. I basically just made a hole in the intake tubing to the reactor and pushed CO2 line in there lol.

Water flow pushes bubbles in at the top of the reactor. They seem to collect at there in some amount, but as the water stream runs from the very top and splashes into the reactor it tumbles that CO2 and dissolves it fairly well. Initially there was maybe 1/4" pocket of CO2 at the top, by the morning it was a bit higher at 1"-2", but CO2 saturation also increased. I do not have drop checker, but as far as pH goes it went from 7.97 to 7.09 according to Apex pH probe.

Because of this build up of CO2 in the reactor I could probably shut off injection hour or maybe even earlier before the light go off and just let remaining CO2 in the reactor dissolve in. Reactor does run all the time so eventually all CO2 would go in the water.

Also while I do not know exact BPS rate of injection, but it's pretty fast, to a point where I can't really count them lol.

Another thought that I had is to control CO2 solenoid during the day based on pH, I understand that at max saturation pH should drop by about 1 point versus no CO2 injected at all. So if normal pH would be 7.5, I would shut off solenoid if pH drops to 6.5 etc.

|

post #41 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Also while I do not know exact BPS rate of injection, but it's pretty fast, to a point where I can't really count them lol.
Yes, with a larger tank the co2 stream is pretty much a constant stream. Very difficult to adjust with any precision whatsoever.

Here's what I did. Gives me some semblance of control.
(Don't know why pic is rotated but you get the idea)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151227_100706 (Large).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	648282  

---
---
post #42 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That looks like a good idea. I'll look into that. Thanks.

What would that be called? Air flow gauge or something? ;P

|

post #43 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 03:21 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
That reactor/pump sounds a lot more efficient than I thought it would be. How long did it take to get the .9 drop?

post #44 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I would say 2 hours, on the graph it will look a bit longer, but I think that was also due to reactor shutting down few times, as I forgot to change program on some outlets. So at times reactor run, but now co2 and vice versa. I'm not sure if I'm infusing enough CO2 as far as BPS goes, but I imagine if there is a pocket of CO2 the top I'm already reaching max speed at which it can dissolve anyways so the current BPS rate is probably ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	co2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	648290  

burr740 and burr740 like this.

|

post #45 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
That looks like a good idea. I'll look into that. Thanks.

What would that be called? Air flow gauge or something? ;P
It's a Dwyer RMA-151-SSV Flowmeter. Measures flow from 5 to 50 cc/min. I don't claim to know exactly how much co2 I am injecting. But I am able to control the relative flow. That is, if I want to bump up by 10%, easy to adjust.

---
---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode