Dou's ADA 60P - The Planted Tank Forum
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Dou
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dou's ADA 60P

Hi everyone – I’m relatively new to the hobby but I’m absolutely addicted. Seeing everyone’s tank journals here is especially inspiring and one day I would like to set up a large tank as well (when I can afford a larger home…). Until then, apartment restriction says the largest tank I can have is 30G. So I went for the ADA 60P (17G). There was a lot of trial and error, algae outbreaks, melting plants, death of fauna but overall this has been an extremely fun experience. My eventual next steps are to increase slopes and fill in with more red plants/add rocks to create better contrast. Feedback always welcome!

Progress Photos from the Beginning – this was my initial layout. Eventually it got to the point where I wanted to switch things up as I had learned a lot. It was a huge undertaking but I essentially moved substrate from the back right side up to the front.

** Updated .GIF 2016/07/04**

Right before the trim & move. Quite filled in but I wasn’t quite satisfied with the right side. I had delayed getting a pair of scissors until this moment.

A couple weeks after the trim & move. It was quite the undertaking and 90% of the time I was thinking to myself – what have I done. Substrate was kicked up, everything seemed like it was mixing together… But in the end, I think it’ll look great once everything starts filling in again.

Decided to rescape a bit again as I was not completely happy. More additions/removals coming soon...

The more additions

Bonus picture of my den x)

2016/07/04

--- TANK DETAILS ---

Hardware & Layout:
ADA 60P
Eheim 2215 Canister Filter
Do!Aqua Lily Pipes
Wooden Air Diffuser
Marina 150W Heater
Milwaukee Regulator+Solenoid
Spiderwood
ADA Amazonia
ADA Colorado Sand
River Pebbles
Yamaya & Koke Rocks
Chihiros Doctor LED Light

Fish/Fauna:
18x Threadfin Rainbows
~ 5 Pygmy Cories
~ 15 Green Neons
6x Gertude Rainbows
6x Sparrow Rasbora
3x Kubotai Rasbora
~ 3 Otocats
~ ? Wild Type Neocaridina
~ 6x Amano Shrimp
~ 1x Nerite Snail
~ ? Ramshorn Snails
~ ? Malaysian Trumpet Snails
~ ? Random Small Snails

Flora:
? Unknown Hygro-like Plant
Trident Java Fern
Monte Carlo
Anubias Petites
Anubias Nana
Christmas Moss
Flame Moss
Java Moss
Murdannia Keisak
Rotala Glandulosa
Fontinalus Antipyretica
Hygrophila Pinnatifida
Rotala Bonsai
Needle Java Fern
Salvinia
Misc. Buces
Eleocharis Montevidensis (Hair Grass)
Eleocharis Parvula (DHG)

Last edited by Dou; 07-05-2016 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Feedback always welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 03:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Dou's ADA 60P

Woah nice tank area! Really great job for someone who is 'new' to the hobby hahaha. See the multiple tank syndrome has already set in hard. What light are you using?
I would get a few more Kubotais, groups are better, although it may stretch the bioload a bit. You could switch one of the other fish species for more of them as an alternative. I see an Otocinclus there as well, I think you missed it in your stocking list hahaha. Also, recommend a group of them unless you already do have a group which was not listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Dou
Algae Grower

Thanks x)! Yes I have been hit hard haha. Partner grudgingly has allowed me to buy this many tanks (I have another one in the living room Brio35 - so that's 6 total). I'm using the Chihiros Doctor LED light - which is working great so far. One day I'll go full ADA fanboy and get the AquaSky.

In hindsight I would do just as you recommended but I've been adding things slowly... So I got a real mish mash here. Ideally I would love to add 10-20 more sparrow rasbora but I keep getting tempted by random new fish from the LFSs haha (and I'm already overstocked).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Woah nice tank area! Really great job for someone who is 'new' to the hobby hahaha. See the multiple tank syndrome has already set in hard. What light are you using?
I would get a few more Kubotais, groups are better, although it may stretch the bioload a bit. You could switch one of the other fish species for more of them as an alternative. I see an Otocinclus there as well, I think you missed it in your stocking list hahaha. Also, recommend a group of them unless you already do have a group which was not listed.

Opare and Opare like this.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Resist the urge! Do it for the fish!

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Dou
Algae Grower

Decided to rescape my 60P a bit last night. More work is coming (additional small/branchy wood near the bottom for root-y effects, some more rocks, changing the plants) but I just wanted to highlight how often I've changed my mind. It was a lot of work (~4 hours) but definitely worth it. I tried to move all my pygmy cories.... However one somehow evaded my detection and was schooling in my face lol ==. Only noticed him when I took the photo.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Dou
Algae Grower

And updated with more rocks, increased slopes and swapped some plants out. Didn't find any pieces of wood I liked... so perhaps I will add that later on. Also traded in my green neons for threadfin rainbows - they were just sticking out too much before. These are more subtle and will fit quite nicely I think once they colour in. Pretty happy with it now overall, but the next steps are probably to add some different coloured plants.

Opare, Opare, Sykith and 7 others like this.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 12:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Dou's ADA 60P

The new scape looks fantastic. Good job. Much improved from the first few scapes, this seems to have much more focus.

Dou and Dou like this.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 06:52 AM
Algae Grower

I love the simplicity!
Very nice green, good job !
Dou and Dou like this.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Dou
Algae Grower

Quick update on my 60P - moss starting to grow in... will need about 2 more months I think for it to become what I want it to be. Also, the ? plant is called "Eichhornia Diversifolia". It grows super fast...

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Algae Grower

WOW! Really nice tank! How are you satisfied with Chihiros A-Series light? I have this light just for 3 months and I need to say it was great deal for this money...

www.tomasmegis.cz
Czech Republic | Prague
Dou and Dou like this.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Dou
Algae Grower

For what you pay - this is definitely an awesome light! I only wish it had a controller so I could create a sunrise/sunset effect.

I also updated my original post to reflect the most recent changes and added an updated photo of my den =). Don't want to make this thread too image repetitive so here are the imgur links if you want to click instead of scrolling up:

- Progress .GIF: http://imgur.com/Fi8J9bg
- Den: http://imgur.com/2gdKONO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas_Megis View Post
WOW! Really nice tank! How are you satisfied with Chihiros A-Series light? I have this light just for 3 months and I need to say it was great deal for this money...

tomasmegis | fotografie
Czech Republic | Prague
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Dou
Algae Grower

Update:

- Removed "Eichhornia Diversifolia"
- Added Myriophyllum Tuberculatum
- Removed Monte Carlo on the right
- Added in Lilaeopsis on the right
- Rearranged rocks
- Rearranged some plants, and did a lot of trimming (which doesn't seem like it at first)

Bonus picture of my newly scaped MiniM. I designed it specifically to mimic the natural setting in taiwan/china where wild crystal bee shrimp are found - waiting for the amazonia ammonia spike to finish its course and adding them in after =).

Opare, Opare, Tomas_Megis and 3 others like this.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 11:39 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Me like, a lot!

My only question is how you got your ex green neons to be in the open?
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 11:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Great job, love the evolution of the tank.
Regards
Dou and Dou like this.

A forum user's post count is like watts/gallon. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of what they're giving.
Do it then talk, nah do it nah talk

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Dou
Algae Grower

I think for that one photo - I just got extremely lucky. I sat there behind the camera for a good 15 minutes. When it was really dense, they just loved to hide between and under everything - and only come out when I'm not looking. Funny enough, when I removed some of the hiding places by making it less dense, they came out to swim. Normally they aren't shy - but only when you stare right up to the tank they hide... which I normally always do.

However, I had decided to remove them because they took too much attention away from the overall aquascape - it's the first thing anyone sees. They are nice and all but it wasn't allowing my hours and hours of work to really shine at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Me like, a lot!

My only question is how you got your ex green neons to be in the open?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode