My 20H - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
My 20H

Hello TPT,

So I recently got a 20H, cast iron stand, and aquaclear 201 powerhead from a neighbor for $30! I have anxiously been awaiting all my supplies and equipment to arrive as this was an unplanned summer project that I need greatly. Soon, 1-2 days, I will be receiving 13lbs of ohko dragon stone to complete my hardscape materials and I can finally get started! This will be my first 'hardcore' attempt at really scaping a tank so I may be needing advice/opinions on the ideas I come up with. I wanted to get this thread set up so I could jump right in when my stones arrive, so here goes!

Equipment:
Nothing fancy :/ (broke college student) pretty basic so I'm not even gonna bother listing it all as I am looking to upgrade most of it as I can... starting with legit co2 injection but more on that later.

Substrate:
-One of the major things I want to try with this tank is creating very dramatic hills using lavarock as the base held in place by eggcrate and ohko stone.. kind of making compartments to add the actual layers of substrate to.. if it doesn't make sense now it will when I get started and have pictures.

-organic potting soil ~1-1.5 in where I will be planting (will be adding red clay powder for iron)
-river pebble
-sand

Plants: (so far!! nothing can keep me away from lfs)
-rotala nanjenshan
-rotala indica
-assort. buce
-DHG
-narrow leaf java fern
-crypt wendtii
-crypt undulata
-styrogyne repens
-baby tears

Fauna:
-scarlet badis (Fabio)
-3x golden pencilfish
-dainty cory (need more)
-oto
-2x assassin snail
-a bunch of wild type neocardina shrimp

-In addition to the ohko stone I have 4 assorted pieces of spider wood I might use in the scape. Either way this will not be a traditional iwagumi scape even though it will be mostly stone in the hardscape.
-Mostly mid/background plants but I will be looking to change things out when I get co2 going...
-Due to the dirt substrate I do not plan on dosing anything unless I see a need.
-The tank has a little bit of cloudiness on the left side panel, not a huge deal but it gave me the idea to build up the left side so I don't have the cloudiness blocking the view.. however does anyone have any advice to get it out?

FTS:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clear1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	647466  

Name:	july31-1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	657161  

Name:	10-4 fts.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	680001  

Last edited by Sykith; 10-11-2016 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Updated pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can use drainage cells to build up hills, it will be easier to work with than lava rock hills. If you have CO2 you probably will need to start dosing if the light is high enough, just get dry fertilisers if you can they are super cheap.
Can't help with cloudiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
You can use drainage cells to build up hills, it will be easier to work with than lava rock hills. If you have CO2 you probably will need to start dosing if the light is high enough, just get dry fertilisers if you can they are super cheap.
Can't help with cloudiness.

I already had the lava rock, it wasn't horrible but you're right it wasn't easy either. Planting might be difficult in some areas but oh well. It turned out I didn't build up as high due to the actual depth of the tank, 12 inches is less than I thought. As for the co2, I am not currently running any and probably won't for a little while but I will definetly look into ferts when I do plan to make the switch thanks for the advice!

Bump:

Bump: So the dragon stone came in yesterday, tried scaping.. it was a disaster the first time around. I managed to build a mountain but the substrate ended up taking up 1/4 of the tank lol... Oops, I was rather frustrated and didn't have time to fix it so it happened today. This is the best result I came up with and would love to get some opinions on it!!!!!

Bump: Also opinions on planting... I already know that I wanna get a bunch of new plants for this most of the ones I have I personally don't think will go too well in this scape.

*Forgot to add, should've done this from the beginning.. The ohko dragon stone was courtesy of Manzanita_driftwood.com (PC1) on here. Great price, great experience for a first time buy on a forum!*
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hardscape.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	643817  

Last edited by Sykith; 06-21-2016 at 03:05 AM. Reason: forgot the review

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

couple more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hardscape 1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	643825  

Name:	hardscape 2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	643833  

post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

New 20H... jungle mountain?

Pretty decent scape, maybe a bit too dense? Could you rotate the left most rocks towards the wood as it sort of detracts from the flow cus they face away from the wood. I dunno may look better as is but you could give it a go.
You could actually use the drainage cells with the lava rock, using the lava rock to fill up the drainage cells. Something to try out for the next setup I guess.
Planting for the current scape, would probably be minimalish, with the focus trying to be the hardscape. All I can think of is so moss for the driftwood and Needle Leaf Java Fern on the driftwood to fill up the left corner.

post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I will have to give that a try I do kinda see what you're saying now that I've taken a step back for a bit. I also agree that the plants should mostly be mid/foreground as to not take away from the hardscape.. which is what most of the extra plants I have aren't. I already had the same idea about needle leaf or trident java fern for the wood to fill in that area. I will probably use most of the rotala that I have to fill in the right back corner and maybe some of the left for now though.
I will primarily focus on the couple crypts, buce, hyd. japan, and baby tears to try and plant between the rocks and wood for now. A few others I have had my eye on would be hygro pinnatifida, hygro araguaia, and lilaeopsis chinensis, thoughts? Maybe dwarf hair grass too... no experience with that though does it need co2?
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd slap another big rock on top of the wood pile nest.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do you mean directly on top or maybe right behind but big enough to stick out?
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 05:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

There are a few species which run around with the DHG name, but more or less grow in similar ways. They don't need CO2 but carpet pretty slowly without it. Just plant with what you feel will look good! All the plants you suggested seem find.

post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I wasn't thinking of a carpet just little bushy accents between the rocks but thanks for the info! Also I tried to do both suggestions with the rocks, unfortunately I did not have a rock that fit into that area behind/in the wood left over. As for rotating the rocks on the left I had trouble shifting them in that tiny space though I did make the upper one more vertical and less angled away I think it helped a bit.

Here's my rough plan right now..

Rotala (yellow)
Mix of crypts, blyxa, and both hygros
Narrow leaf java fern
Mix of DHG, hydrocotyle japan, styrogyne, downoi, and lilaeopsis chinensis

-The major issue currently would be the back right corner, should I fill in that space..? Should I leave it? Should I swap it for more midground/"red" plants?
-Another thought is to replace the rotala on either side of the fern with crypts and hygro to maybe compliment that bushy fern feel?
-Any other thoughts are great as always
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	planting plan.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	644473  

post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykith View Post
my first
Equipment:
Nothing fancy :/ (broke college student)
I am looking to upgrade most of it as I can... starting with legit co2 injection but more on that later.

PLANTS
Unknowns:
-Ludwigia (not repens)
-3 sp of rotala
-assorted buce

Knowns:
-crypt wendtii
-crypt parva
-crypt undulata
-red tiger lily
-helferi downoi
-styrogyne repens
-baby tears
-hydrocotyle japan
-java moss
Plants
Ludwigia, rotala, and buce need KNO3(potassium nitrate). Have found that Spectricide Stump Remover is 100% KN03

Helferi Downoi and baby tears need Co2 injected

A good pressurized co2 system cost around $200. Yeast co2 system smells like beer. You can do a paintball Co2 diffuser system around $60

I see you have a nice light but you haven't said anything about it. To not be wasting money you need to pick plants that will grow with the light. Posting a thread here you get the best plants for your buck. Unfortunately to hot to ship now so you need to specify need local plants. Also best to pick plants that don't need Co2 or Co2 additive. For you will forget to keep an eye on the Co2. Could be wrong that you would forget but when I went to college I spent all my spare time studying.

Last edited by Hilde; 06-19-2016 at 02:14 AM. Reason: change some text
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I also agree that the plants should mostly be mid/foreground as to not take away from the hardscape.
I already had the same idea about needle leaf or trident java fern for the wood to fill in that area.

Maybe dwarf hair grass too... no experience with that though does it need co2?
Hair grass at least needs Co2 additive. Java fern are sensitive Co2 additive.

Lilaeopsis chinensis, which you have been talking about, looks like it will grow similar to Dwarf hair grass and doesn't need a lot of Co2.
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 03:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yah thought that may be what you are going for since there isn't much open space for carpeting. Should be fine planting it that way. @Hilde, I think he means Hemianthus micranthemoides not HC, and HM should be fine without CO2. The Downoi will probably grow for a while without CO2 then peater off and die.
Back right corner should be fine with Rotala as long as you trim it to a devent height.

post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually was looking into osmocote + capsules, could this satisfy the need for potassium along with whatever the soil provides? The beamswork led is the first piece I have upgraded, co2 is my next step. I should say, I have excel and flourish trace as well originally I wasn't planning on going all out at least with regards to planting but until I get actual co2 going I will probably be using some form of liquid in combination with a fluval 20g kit I had on a previous nano.

I actually have a 5oz and 20oz co2 tanks from my paintball days lying around I was planning on converting towards this end.. My dad might have a 20oz as well now that I think about it. On top of those I have a ceramic diffuser and bubble counter, so as far as my research has led me I just need tubing, a check valve, drop checker and the regulator w/ solenoid correct? However I have not found any regulator cheaper than $90 could you point me in the right direction?

As for the baby tears they are in fact the 'regular' form, not dwarf baby tears, I haven't even attempted that yet... The downoi I had in a temporary setup just dirted under my beamswork since I found it by surprise and impulsively bought it and it did fine for a couple months however since I've moved it again it has begun to die off.. not sure if I can revive it, the rest I kept in an emersed setup. Due to this it will probably end up all in an emersed setup until I get co2.

As of this moment I am starting to revert back to a more simplified selection of plants:
Narrow java fern
crypts
rotala
buce
DHG
Styrogyne
Lilaeopsis chinensis
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I actually was looking into osmocote + capsules, could this satisfy the need for potassium along with whatever the soil provides? The beamswork led is the first piece I have upgraded, co2 is my next step.
I thought that light looked familiar. Glad you are planning on injecting Co2. You definitely need Co2 injected with it.
Quote:
I actually have a 5oz and 20oz co2 tanks from my paintball I just need tubing, a check valve, drop checker and the regulator w/ solenoid correct? However I have not found any regulator cheaper than $90 could you point me in the right direction?
You could do 1 without a regulator and solenoid. This is the 1 am going to do. Just being fearful of a pressurized tank I have been putting off doing it. I am going to anchor it to a wall. Here is another thread for paintball co2 without a regulator.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode