My First tank: help for setting up a 180L personalised tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Hilde

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My First tank: help for setting up a 180L personalised tank

Hi everyone,

Im new in this forum and new to fish tanks.
Im from Portugal
It all started with a joke. We had a 15 liter tank e bought 2 fish a few weeks ago. Now we wanna go big(ger)

I want to set up a fishtank in my living room.
You can see the place in the picture below.

I will have to drill through the wood so I can pass the tubes to the fishtank. In the upper half (filter 2) I have an outlet and the wood isn't as thick as un the bottom half (filter 1)
So I would rather place the filter in the upper part, but in that case the filter will be above water level. Is that a problem? (QUESTION 1)
The tank will have aprox 180L (47.5 gallons). So I'm thinking in buying an Eheim Pro 4 350 or 350T filter. With one is better? Is the 350T worth the extra money or would I be better of (or the same) saving that money and buying a 350 and separate thermostat? (QUESTION 2)
Eheim says the 350 is adequate for tanks up to 350 L (92 gallons) but i read we should use a filter with a capacity 10 times the size of the tank. So the 350 wouldn't be enough... ? (QUESTION 3)
Another problem is the exposure to direct sunlight. As you can see the aquarium will be directly opposite large windows. We have the curtains that are closed at all time but as you can see in the picture they have little holes that let through some sun rays. Will that be a problem? (QUESTION 4)

thanks for your help
Pedro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

1, getting the filter started after maintenance could be difficult but is doable, this because filter normally don't "suck" water up the hose, when the filter is full of water and there is no more air it shouldn't be a problem.
to overcome this you could use a pump to pump in the water from the tank up to the filter.
2, I've got a 2078 with heater and love it, the less equipment in the tank the better, you have more room for fish and hardscape and don't have any unsightly hardware in the tank
3, 2x factory spec should be fine, because you have losses due to filter material and hoses etc. so the 350 is sufficient by itself to run the tank.
more is almost always better since you can regulate the flow with a valve if the flow is to much.
4, could be a problem but doesn't have to be.
it depends on the plantload, ferts, co2 light duration of your own lights and most importantly on how long the sun hits the glass

I might be dutch but I don't have a dutch scape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
1. I would rather place the filter in the upper part, but in that case the filter will be above water level. Is that a problem?
2. Eheim Pro 4 350 or 350T filter.
3. Eheim says the 350 is adequate for tanks up to 350 L (92 gallons) but i read we should use a filter with a capacity 10 times
4. Another problem is the exposure to direct sunlight. Will that be a problem?
1. Gravity helps the water flow down. The pump pushes the water up. If strong enough to push water from output is questionable.
2. I like the 350. High flow is not good for some fish. Look youtube to see what you like.
3. The ratings are done without media in them so unreliable.
4. Is hard to answer. Depends on light you use.

This is an expensive hobby. You buy a little here and there and it adds up. I find it best to find a good light. May get a new 1 half price at a local fish club. Then decide on type of plants you want. Check if they need a lot of Co2.

Easiest plants are your Ferns, Moss, Anubias, Hygrophilia Difformis, and Cryptocornye. Ferns, Moss, Anubias grow without a substrate. Hygrophilia Difformis is actually a weed thus can grow in any substrate. Cryptocornye need rich substrate. These can grow without a light being added.
Opare and Opare like this.

Last edited by Hilde; 06-15-2016 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

For canister filters, the one I use at least, the filter has to be below the tank. Natural sunlight can sometimes lead to unwanted issues (algae), it's better to have not it present. Although it's not that much, just manage your lighting well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode